Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum run over?  (Read 2981 times)

mkempe

Chum run over?
« on: November 24, 2016, 02:59:42 PM »

Wondering if the chum run is over, if not, how long does it typically last going into December?? I'm looking to getting a few more good fights in this year before switching gears for steelhead.

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Chum run over?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 03:33:16 PM »

It's getting hard to find any sort of fresh ones. I have never caught a chum in December, though I have caught Coho into January.

I unexpectedly caught this one last Friday in some frog water.

Old Blue

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 06:23:15 PM »

Generally over but once in a while you can run into a late run but don't expect to.

A few years ago I had a stretch the first week of December when I was targeting late coho and lucked into some of the best chum fishing I had that year and not another soul around.  3 days of double digit sea lice chrome fish with the majority being females short floating jigs.  Almost no current and my float would just stop, set the hook and game on.  No chum there the next 2 years in that spot but the odd coho shows up.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:01:08 PM »

Was out to my hot spot a couple of times this week but nothing. I have caught fresh ones in January though, time to look for steelhead and you may hook a chum and scare yourself a bit

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 07:44:49 PM »

I had my best chum fishing days (back to back) close to Boxing Day in the canal 3 years ago. All exceptionally bright with barely any purple on them. Came back for a third day and they were gone.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 08:17:15 PM »

Chilliwack chums are interesting fish.  The earliest I have seen tend to spawn far up river in mid to late September; Centennial Channel gets a few of these every year, and hopefully the new gravel at Chilliwack Lake will entice more.
Like others who have posted, the brightest and least sexually mature fish I have encountered have been caught late December and into January.  Strong fish with steelhead colored flesh … delicious, and I have seen a pair spawning in February.  The very latest was a moribund fish in early March.

Much more needs to be learned about these fish, the lifeblood of this river. Hopefully this year’s enumeration by DFO is just the beginning.