Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cultus Lake Pikeminnow Derby  (Read 8697 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Cultus Lake Pikeminnow Derby
« on: May 09, 2014, 11:44:25 AM »

Is slated for June 14 this year at Cultus Lake and once again is being put on by CLASS who took over from the FVSS last year.

Tickets should be on sale in the near future at Chilliwack tackle shops.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:36:03 AM by Rodney »

Archer

Re: Cultus Lake Pikeminnow Derby
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »

interesting. tell me more  :-*

Is this a family focused event?

I have never fished Cultis, although been there many times. Is a boat an advantage or can you just cast a bar rig or spin off the docks?

is it pikeminnow or northern pikeminnow?

cheers,

rob 8)

Archer

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 02:14:05 PM »

thanks!!! i have never targeted them.  worm on a float near bottom or plunking worm.  light weight spinners too i think.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 04:11:51 PM »

I love the Pikeminnow derby. 8)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »

So myself and buddy from work plan to go in this derby. Looks like a hoot!!

I plan to bring my 12 footer out and giver my best shot.

I haven't fished for Pikeminnow (squa fish?) since I was a kid. As far as I remember they were pretty easy to catch and all we ever used was bobber, hook, and worm...or trolled for them with a wedding band and worm.

I've looked online for tips on fishing them and can't find much. Can anyone give me some pointers. For example, is it best to anchor up and bobber fish for them, or is it more productive to troll for the buggers?

Is there anything (lure, bait, etc) that is likely to entire a PM but not a trout? I realize this is just a fun derby, however my competitive nature makes me want be a pike minnow contender!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »

Gibbs Croc spoons in 1/8oz or 1/16oz work great. I caught some big ones with the 1/16oz there the other day actually, most likely they are feeding on fry right now.

For kids, it maybe easier to just fish bait under a float. If you are on a boat, a sliding weight rig dropped straight down may work even better.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 09:44:04 PM »

Thanks for that Rodney :) I don't think I have any crocs that small. Do you think needlfish spoons or kokanee killers would be a reasonable substitute? They are a fry imitaion, so I'm guessing they would work well. I have 4 or so of each spoon in assorted colors. Have caught a fair number of trout and kokanee on them but never a P/M :o

And are you fishing these spoons on their own tied right to the mainline? Or behind an attractor of some sort? (willow leaf, etc)

Also a bit of a bonehead question but...how do you tie up this sliding weight rig you speak of? I'm guessing you have a hollow weight on the mainline resting on a swivel, then a leader with the hook/bait...lower down until it hit's bottom, then reel up a couple feet to keep the hook/bait off bottom?

I have also seen a rig where there was a 3-way swivel tied to the mainline, a short leader coming off the bottom eye tied to a weight, and another short leader coming off the side eye with the hook/bait connected to it.

As another option...I don't see why I couldn't use a slip float rig: Bobber stop on the mainline, then a bead, then the hollow bobber. A few small split shot above the swivel, then a short leader with the hook/bait. Lower until weight hits bottom, then reel up a bit to suspend offering out of the muck. Should work, no?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:13:05 PM by Spawn Sack »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 10:06:30 AM »

So myself and buddy from work plan to go in this derby. Looks like a hoot!!

I plan to bring my 12 footer out and giver my best shot.

I haven't fished for Pikeminnow (squa fish?) since I was a kid. As far as I remember they were pretty easy to catch and all we ever used was bobber, hook, and worm...or trolled for them with a wedding band and worm.

I've looked online for tips on fishing them and can't find much. Can anyone give me some pointers. For example, is it best to anchor up and bobber fish for them, or is it more productive to troll for the buggers?

Is there anything (lure, bait, etc) that is likely to entire a PM but not a trout? I realize this is just a fun derby, however my competitive nature makes me want be a pike minnow contender!
Not sure if you saw this as I had it posted under fishing reports but this is how Rod caught some last Sunday. http://youtu.be/AjWtNbY26yQ

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 11:36:25 AM »

I'll be taking my nephew to this. On the website is says "same day registration begins at 6am." We already have tickets. Do we still have to register the day of, or can we just show up and start fishing?

I'll be towing in my 12ft boat on a trailer. Where do ya'll reccomend I park/launch? I know there is the one spot near main bach (Jade?) and the other one nearer Tea Pot hill. I was thinking of launching at the one farther away near Tea Pot (less people I reckon) and then cruising ove to main beach after we are done fishing in the afternoon.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 03:57:21 AM »

I'll be taking my nephew to this. On the website is says "same day registration begins at 6am." We already have tickets. Do we still have to register the day of, or can we just show up and start fishing?

I'll be towing in my 12ft boat on a trailer. Where do ya'll reccomend I park/launch? I know there is the one spot near main bach (Jade?) and the other one nearer Tea Pot hill. I was thinking of launching at the one farther away near Tea Pot (less people I reckon) and then cruising ove to main beach after we are done fishing in the afternoon.
Just start fishing. here is an interview I filmed yesterday about the derby.

http://youtu.be/MZdqnZh4mBM

The committee seems to say different times when the derby ends, noon on some ads or 2 on others. I have asked them to sort that out today and post the end times at launches, the dock and at derby headquarters at Main beach. If I find out we will post here.

Also Jade Bay I understand opens at 6 AM.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 10:27:42 AM »

Thank you Chris,

Reading their website it seem that you can fish until 2ish as long as your fish are weighed in by 2pm.

However others have told me that you must cease fishing by noon, get your fish weighed, then if you like you can go back out but anything else you catch won't count for the derby.

As long as there are signs at the launches clairifying this it shouldn't be a problem. And if you find anything out please post on this thread :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »

Thank you Chris,

Reading their website it seem that you can fish until 2ish as long as your fish are weighed in by 2pm.

However others have told me that you must cease fishing by noon, get your fish weighed, then if you like you can go back out but anything else you catch won't count for the derby.

As long as there are signs at the launches clairifying this it shouldn't be a problem. And if you find anything out please post on this thread :)
Just received clarification on derby times from the committee. You can start at dawn and you are to be in the lineup to bring fish to the scales no later than 2PM. They will be posting signs at key points to make sure everyone knows. Good luck in the derby and be sure to stop at the Fraser Valley Salmon Society booth as we have a game for the children and some prizes too and will have memberships for sale that will give you a good gift for the first 25 people that pick up a membership, only 10 dollars for the year.