Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with birds nest problem Daiwa Luna 300  (Read 9684 times)

cabro

Need help with birds nest problem Daiwa Luna 300
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:08:02 PM »

I just purchased a Daiwa Luna 300 and i'm having major problems with bird's nests/backlash. I've been using an Abu Garcia 6500 without issue for years so i'm fairly sure it's not user error.

I adjusted the spool tensioner to where the line won't come out during free spool unless I give it a light flick (which is what my Aby Garcia user manual said to do) but that didn't seem to make it any better. The line seems to come out ok during really light casts but if I give it the beans I get a major bird's nest.

Should I be adjusting the Centriflex Backlash Control System?

EDIT:

I should also add that i'm casting a 1/4oz croc connected directly to my main line. Not too sure if it being so light is causing an issue. Maybe it's normally setup from the factory to cast a float, pencil lead and lure (something heavier?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:24:55 PM by cabro »

swimmingwiththefishes

Re: Need help with birds nest problem Daiwa Luna 300
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »

What kind of line are you using? 

cabro

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 07:09:10 PM »

What kind of line are you using?

Maxima Ultragreen 15lb

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 07:15:28 PM »

EDIT:

I should also add that i'm casting a 1/4oz croc connected directly to my main line. Not too sure if it being so light is causing an issue. Maybe it's normally setup from the factory to cast a float, pencil lead and lure (something heavier?

I think there's your problem.

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »

I just use my 400 for driftn springs but a couple years ago when using a 3 oz ::) I noticed it didnt handle the weight well.  Try a swinging motion always keeping tension in the reel.
This reel once I fixed it does not see the Fraser

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »

trick to casting lighter lures with a level wind is actually to loosen the tensioner (not totally but you want the lure to drop quickly when you let go of the thumb), leave your lure hanging a 1-2 feet below your rod tip and don't use a snap to cast like you do with a spinning rod but instead gradually accelerate through the cast.

what your trying to do is the quick snap which causes your spool to spin way to fast instantly causing a birds nest right away.

To cast lures with a level wind it does take some practice playing around to get it right. once you get it right you will be able to cast well but never as far as a spinning reel will with lures.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »

When I am using bait casters, the lightest lure I use is 3/8 oz. Anything lighter and I would go with a spinning reel.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 09:46:28 PM »

Thumb control, put it just over the spool when line is going out and use it to stop a nest, slow your cast speed down.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »

When I am using bait casters, the lightest lure I use is 3/8 oz. Anything lighter and I would go with a spinning reel.

x2

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 07:14:32 AM »

I experienced the same problem when I first got my Luna 300. Follow Hook's and M-M advice.  Start with shorter casts (it was the long toss that really messed me up) working your way up to longer casts.  After a little more tension tuning and practice, you'll be casting smoothly the majority of the time - I can't promise you that you will never birds nest again  :D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Pin-nook

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 07:32:44 AM »

1 word...."Practice!"

Floatfishing with a baitcaster is all about thumb control and attention. Yeah I used the tension control in the beginning but it just got in the way casting different rigs so I stopped using it and focused more on feathering the spool with my thumb.

I rarely use baitcasters anymore but when I do I am confident enough from countless times before that I easily switch back with out fear of backlash or birds nests.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 07:53:09 AM »

I think the size of the Luna 300 may be a contributing factor as to why you're having difficulty.  My buddy had a similar problem with a Shimano Calcutta 400B while trying to cast light presentations, while Stratocaster and I were having no issues at all with the smaller Calcutta 200B.  I've also got a Luna 253 which I use for coho, and it can also handle light presentations quite well, although I really like my Calcutta 200B for light presentations.

I guess my point is, larger reels need more weight to cast properly.  I know you mentioned that you previously used an Abu Garcia 6500 without issue.  My buddy had the same experience as well until he switched to the Calcutta 400B, then he was having all sorts of birds nests and problems casting.  The Luna (and Calcutta) is a much higher quality reel with higher precision and tighter tolerances than your Abu Garcia.  My guess is that you will be able to manage once you figure out the "feel" of the reel and develop muscle memory, but the larger sized reel just adds a level of difficulty for casting light tackle.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:55:34 AM by FlyFishin Magician »

maverick

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 07:54:48 AM »

You might want to check if the line coming off the spool lines up directly with the pawl. If it is at an angle it could be causing all of your problems. It can get out of alignment if you reel your line directly onto the spool. Easiest way to fix it is to take your side plate off and turn the gear on the worm shaft to move the line guide over without turning the main spool. Once they line up again put the reel back together and try it again.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »

Or maybe you have too much line on your spool? Sometimes, esp. with the mono lines, too much line gives you a backlash.

brownmancheng

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »

trick to casting lighter lures with a level wind is actually to loosen the tensioner (not totally but you want the lure to drop quickly when you let go of the thumb), leave your lure hanging a 1-2 feet below your rod tip and don't use a snap to cast like you do with a spinning rod but instead gradually accelerate through the cast.

what your trying to do is the quick snap which causes your spool to spin way to fast instantly causing a birds nest right away.

To cast lures with a level wind it does take some practice playing around to get it right. once you get it right you will be able to cast well but never as far as a spinning reel will with lures.

I just bought the same reel and I feel your pain. There is definitely a knack to tossing spoons wih it. Hook is completely right, took me a few tries to figure it out. I kind of watch my spoon and when it swings forward I smoothly pendulum it out there. Similar to if you were casting a float rig set very deep.

Also I noticed, when using float and light weight even with the spool tension tight the weight would fall. (With my abu it was quite easy to adjust) another angler I was fishing beside thought this was strange and wanted to play around. We figured out if you REALLY tighten it (finger tight) it works and makes a world of difference. the daiwa spool tension is really touchy where one mm turn can make or break it.

Once I figured that out it was a whole new reel. This reel is so smooth and easy to cast when set properly. Good luck! Let me know if you figure it out Bc man was I frustrated after spending that money.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:45:35 AM by brownmancheng »