Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish river - water clarity  (Read 8284 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish river - water clarity
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 05:57:32 PM »

Does the clarity improve above the mamquam? I've been up throwing spoons around but with the 6" vis its been tough. May try new tactics soon...

Were you fishing the incoming tide?  Also were other people catching?

ali2pali

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 06:51:49 PM »

Were you fishing the incoming tide?  Also were other people catching?
Yes fishing the incoming. We did manage a few fish, just wondering of there was an area that the clarity is normally better.

Golfer

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 02:36:35 PM »

Only about 4-6" vis on the Mam today, down from about 18" monday evening.  Caught and released a lot of pinks on short floated blades, (went 16 for 34).  Had a surprise catch of a big beautiful bull trout of 6-8 pounds, my little brother thought he was fighting a small spring until I waded out to release his fish said "Holy s... it's a big bull!"  Saw a lot of fouled and fair fish being dragged 10 feet up the rocks then kicked back in to the river, so just remember pinks aren't the only fish that could be on the end of your line right now in this system.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 05:18:50 PM by Golfer »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 03:26:30 PM »

Regardless of the type of fish, pink or not, there is no excuse for abusing fish in that manner.  Of course, many people don't know any better.  That's one of the reasons I wear waders during the summer so I can get into the water with the fish to release it.

Golfer

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 03:51:47 PM »

Regardless of the type of fish, pink or not, there is no excuse for abusing fish in that manner.  Of course, many people don't know any better.  That's one of the reasons I wear waders during the summer so I can get into the water with the fish to release it.

I know, I told one guy, who was literally kicking his pinks off the bank into the river to clean up his act because it was pretty damn disgusting.  I don't get how people have so much of an issue of walking 2 feet into the water where it is only like 8" deep to pop the hook out especially on the mam where it's not even cold nor slippery, it would seem easier than beaching the fish and trying to get the hook out of a fish flailing on the rocks.  Not to mention anyone who has half a brain should know that being dragged up and banged on rocks probably isn't too beneficial for the fish. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:27:43 AM by Golfer »

anorden

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 03:42:06 PM »

Overnight rain has blown the river out. Up 3-4 feet from last weekend. Vis was 3 inches at best in the spot I was fishing. Better on the Mamquam but there seemed like more fishermen than fish! Good to see DFO out there checking so make sure you are up to date on the regs guys n gals

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 08:44:49 PM »

Overnight rain has blown the river out. Up 3-4 feet from last weekend. Vis was 3 inches at best in the spot I was fishing. Better on the Mamquam but there seemed like more fishermen than fish! Good to see DFO out there checking so make sure you are up to date on the regs guys n gals
One guy downstream of me was being ticketed and I heard from others it was for using multiple or treble hooks?  On a side note, does a clear drennan float matter in that murky 3 to 6 inches of visibility of water?  The guy beside me was using a clear float vs my foam float and he had way more bites than I did.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 09:33:54 PM »

I very much doubt it.  I doubt it would make any difference in crystal clear water.  Some fish like pinks and chum are just not leader shy or bothered by weights of floats.