Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to BC - good fishing spots close to Vancouver this time of year?  (Read 8285 times)

Burbot

Re: New to BC - good fishing spots close to Vancouver this time of year?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 07:22:51 PM »

Yes you can definitely eat chum despite varying opinions to the contrary. Keep the chrome ones and you should be fine

Indeed.  I find them awesome in the smoker..

Outdoorsman

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 08:06:01 PM »

Also make sure when purchasing your license that you add a "salmon tag" onto the license. Chum, coho, springs, etc. those are all LEGAL to fish recreationaly for as long as you release the fish unless you have a salmon tag on your license, then of course you can keep the fish if it follows the proper regulations. Steelhead on the other hand can not be fished for regardless if you are releasing every fish without having a steelhead license. Just a couple pointers! Good luck, and enjoy beautiful BC's fishing.

Bernie

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »

Excellent, I am fired up and set to explore.  :)

I will be moving to Tsawwassen, so the tidal Fraser will probably be my best bet for the winter.
I have residency so the licence won't be too expensive, and I look forward to seeing that Gravlax video! Lots to learn and looks like I will be trying my luck in Steveston this weekend, but I might be tempted by the  Vedder too, if I have time. Thanks so much again everyone, I'll let you know how I get on.

Bernie

jacklam999

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 12:12:11 AM »

Yes, try gary point park in steveston during high tide with light spinner, quite a bit of bull trout there

tburns

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 01:09:42 PM »

The capilano is the toughest fishery I have ever fished. It may be enough to turn a newbie off the sport because of the amount of days you get skunked (which is more often than not). I like the Squamish system and it's tributaries, try there. It's only a 45 min drive from vancouver. Vedder and other valley systems are at least a 1.5 hour drive.

x2.  I've been to the cap many times and its cramped for fly fishing, fish seem to be very finnicky and access is somewhat difficult.  Never caught anything of worth there (though its where I was learning to fish...).  I know other anglers have had much more luck than I, but I much prefer the seymour.

Bernie

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 10:24:42 AM »

All, set, just trying to figure out the tidal regs. I can find the freshwater regs, but not anything about other fish in the tidal zone. E.g. can you keep bull trout or other hatchery trout etc?

Cheers
Bernie

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 10:46:19 AM »

In the tidal portion of the Fraser River, you can retain two hatchery marked trout and char per day. All bull trout are in fact wild, there are no hatchery enhanced populations so you have to release all bull trout. You might encounter the odd cutthroat trout.

Here is the (salmon) regulations for the Tidal Fraser River:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.html

Here is a table of all species and what you are allowed to keep in different saltwater areas:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/fintable-tableaupoisson-eng.html

Unfortunately the saltwater regulations are complex and poorly organized on the website, so if unsure you can always ask on the forum.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 01:35:39 PM »

Guess my secret spot is better than all of yours. :D

Bernie

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 10:05:09 PM »

We'll here is the report, overall not too great, but it was nice to explore.  :)

Friday - went to the Serpentine and caught a small ?perch, and foul hooked a flounder  - both returned unharmed. spinning and short floating - plenty of Salmon jumping though!
Saturday - went to the  Vedder all day and foul hooked a good sized Chum spinning - released unharmed
Sunday - fished the Fraser at the Dyke Road - no bites
Monday - fished the Fraser at Garry Point Park - no bites, but lost a few spinners!

All in all after 21 hours of fishing over the long w/e and not much luck, I think I'll wait untill the new Year to try again. Maybe the fish will be feeding more then.

Thanks again for all the advice
Bernie

tburns

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »

We'll here is the report, overall not too great, but it was nice to explore.  :)

Friday - went to the Serpentine and caught a small ?perch, and foul hooked a flounder  - both returned unharmed. spinning and short floating - plenty of Salmon jumping though!
Saturday - went to the  Vedder all day and foul hooked a good sized Chum spinning - released unharmed
Sunday - fished the Fraser at the Dyke Road - no bites
Monday - fished the Fraser at Garry Point Park - no bites, but lost a few spinners!

All in all after 21 hours of fishing over the long w/e and not much luck, I think I'll wait untill the new Year to try again. Maybe the fish will be feeding more then.

Thanks again for all the advice
Bernie

Definitely go try Squamish soon.  There are chum galore in the river and seem to like biting on chartreuse and red/pink.  Good luck

htdub

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 09:51:45 PM »

Garry Point will eat lures all day long as you already found out.

Went to squamish saturday and monday, tons of great chum fishing. Clear waters and good weather. Zero retention so it keeps the crazies down at the vedder and stave.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 12:45:04 AM »

To avoid losing lures at Garry Point, pay it a visit when the tide is low so you can see where all the rocks and debris are. The bays are generally sandy on the bottom, with some rocks sticking out from the flats so you can in fact fish without losing too many lures.

These videos from Garry Point may also help:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/video/fishy_clips/1110_fall_vancouver_bull_trout.html
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/video/fishy_clips/1007_tidal_fraser_bull_trout.html
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/tour/2010-09.html
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/tour/2010-08.html
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/video/video_blog/2013/08-27-lure-casting-for-pikeminnow.html

Bernie

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 08:48:05 AM »

Thanks all,

Will give it another shot, and check out Garry Point at low tide. hey, I might even see my snagged lures :-)

Maybe Ill giving jigging for Herring a go on the Fraser in Steveson.

Bernie

Chuck

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 09:07:54 PM »

I went to Gary Point yesterday, a little too early for high tide, didn't get a nibble but didn't lose any lures either  :)

Stopped at North Arm this afternoon and caught a nice Bull Trout.  My first ever actually, and the biggest fish I have ever caught!  Does wonders for the confidence I must say  8)