Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tested: Mono vs Braided  (Read 8289 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Tested: Mono vs Braided
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »

I have had a reel spooled with braid for 5 years now and the braid is still going strong.   I would have probably switch mono out 4 or 5 times over the same time span.  I have found that after snagging mono it stretches out and looses its strength hence the need to change it seasonally.  One thing with braid is it doesnt stretching and still maintains its strength after pulling out a snag.  I run 30 lb braid, with 8lb diameter its cast like a dream, cuts through the wind, is super responsive...all and all I like it quit a bit.

When float fishing, I usually run a float on my braid below that a swivel with 3 feet of 15lb maxima (with split shot attached) and then another swivel to which I attach and appropriately sized lead.  I have yet to snap off a drennan this way or leave a run with 30 feet of braid in it...its the best of both worlds!

Much like everything its the application that gives braid a bad name...flossing will leave yards of braid in any river if its runs right down to the weight.  Deal with the flossing/bottom bouncing issue on the ved and the impact of braid on that river goes WAY down.

PS - I hit the ved 3 times this fall and pulled 3 harnesses with betties, 10 foot leaders, and yards of braid attached.  Typical fraser gear...so ask me where I think the true issue lies!

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 02:16:00 AM »

thank you all for showing me the benefits of having a braided line, never thought of it that way.
but i think i'll be sticking with a mono line until there comes a time to use braided again.
will be going fourth and back from float to bottom bouncing and it feels nicer bottom bouncing with a mono main line.
-cheers  :D
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

ColinB

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 06:40:59 AM »

Braided line is not that great of an option environmentally, as it does not break down, nor is is recycleable.

Cheers,
Nicole

Same goes for fluoro!!

Colin

ColinB

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 06:50:14 AM »

For the best abrasion resistance Fireline takes some beating but it is much thicker than Powerpro for the same or similar BS.
I've used Powerpro for several years and so far have had no problems with breakages usually finding that you can bend hooks straight before a breakage.  It's saved me a fortune in lost lures fished on mono.

Vanish?  The less said the better!! ??? ???

The best mono we have found is Seaguar, expensive but excellent stuff!! :) :)

Colin