Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bears while fishing  (Read 8333 times)

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
bears while fishing
« on: October 12, 2007, 05:46:18 AM »

Has anyone been seeing bears while they have been out fishing? I've been hearing about a few being seen by Chehalis Hatchery on a daily basis

thanks

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: bears while fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 08:01:09 AM »

there have been a few spotted on the vedder, and a few on the chehalis, i saw 2 on the thompson in september.
Fish killer 101

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:31:40 AM »

This time of year it is easy pickens for the bears on the chehalis. I remeber last year walking the river and seeing nothing but paw prints everywhere. Luckily for me there was no bears around but I sure knew they had been there. Just don't forget they have a great sense of smell and will most likly smell your roe so be careful.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:50:32 AM »

Some flows on the island they are a pain. See 15+ bears a trip and when you look down river see 3 or 4.  Eventually they cross paths with you often less than 25 feet away. I havent had any problems though except one that went after the dog you do hear of a few guys that are forced to giveup their fish on the walk back or get charged. Makes for a fun trip with lots of shoulder watchin

hickman

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 12:48:58 PM »

there is at least one juvenile bear walking the banks of the Cheakamus (upstream of the main bridge) almost every afternoon. I have seen him around 6PM every time I was out. If you fish the Squamish system you gotta keep your eyes open!
hickman 8)

Hollis

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 01:23:47 PM »

I saw 1-black bear last weekend on the vedder, top end.
The Fish Wisperer

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 02:36:41 PM »

Couple years ago I was fishing the run below the hatchery(Chehalis) and sensed something moving behind me. I looked back and saw this black bear behind me. I had to chuck rocks at it to get it to move on. If it came at me, I guess I would have to move to the middle of the river.

Scary moments!!!!

J.G.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 02:49:59 PM »

Bears....I have come across many, while fishing and working. Yes, they are everywhere. Make lot's of noise, carry bear bangers, and bear spray. I haven't had to "spray" any. But have used bangers on a regular basis. They have worked every time. Just make sure that you are far enough away that your banger doesn't explode on the far side of the target, you don't want the bear running towards you. And try to aim for the bear, 9 out of 10 times the bear will turn 180 deg. and run. All this talk about black bears on the Vedder....there are cougars, as well as a few grizzlies to be concerned about also. There is a cougar that has taken up residence on the north side of the river in the Slesse Crk. area. A grizzly in the Chipmunk/Jones Lake area and there is also a sow with cubs at the south end of Chilliwack Lake......Oh yeah....don't forget about the sasquatch! :D

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 03:46:22 PM »

I also saw a bobcat feeding on salmon bellies while working at the chilliwack hatchery...

That was cool!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

island boy

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 04:07:04 PM »

i worked at the nitnat hatchery and saw alot of bears every day. at first it scared the crap out of me but after awhile you get used to them being around. uassally if you don't mess with them they won't mess with you. we would throw a big old chum down the boat ramp at the lake and they would come out and grab it. neat to watch. saw a black bear down at wilson road a week ago.
you kill it, you clean it.

4x4

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 04:22:17 PM »

Twice this year.
On the Skagit a month ago. I walked right by it while it was feeding on a rabbit it killed or took away from another animal. I was wading the river, the bear was on the bank in the under growth. I froze when I heard him grunt. When I stood still it ate away. Everytime I moved it would drop the rabbit and following me. Kinda freaky. After about 50yards of walking and stopping I was well enough in an open area to walk away quicker.

This morning while walking a trail to my fishing spot on the lower Vedder a bear ran right in front of me from one side of the trail to the other . It disappeared into a blackberry thicket and kept going. It had a chum in it's mouth. Scared the crap out of me.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 06:25:05 PM »

Chronic Flosser was approached by a Bear yesterday. It was after his two coho on the beach.

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 06:53:08 PM »

What are you considering the top of the Vedder, just before the Hatchery?

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 07:07:36 PM »

island boy when did you work there we mighta crossed paths? i worked the last 3 years there and theres an unreal amount. You know that camp dog the black one? thats the dog that got attacked when a bear wouldnt leave hatch workers alone and started walking up to them.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 08:00:01 PM »

The Cheakamus has a good amount of bears on it this year. Last week I saw a sow and 3 yearling cubs with her, the next day I saw a small sow and a young of the year cub and the next day another small bear. All different animals and all in a small stretch of the river. The lwr Squamish also has some grizzlies wandering around as well as at least 6 different grizzlies on the Ashlu. It's been a good year for the bears. No problems but it pays to be aware of your surrondings.