Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 fall trout stocking in local lakes  (Read 5805 times)

like_to_fish

2007 fall trout stocking in local lakes
« on: October 04, 2007, 02:23:58 AM »

With so many reports of vedder blown, I would rather do some trout fishing in the local lakes this weekend.

The lakes are usually stocked around this time of the year. But, I am not seeing any update on Rodney's trout stocking data page. Any one having any info on the trout stocking/recent success in trout fishing in local lakes?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 01:47:25 AM by Rodney »

croc

Re: trout stocking in local lakes
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:42:16 AM »

no clue but alouette lake has been good for kokanee lately and a few good sized rainbows so i have heard  (tons of white fish can't get ride of them) good luck fishin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »

The fall stockings are actually starting today. Updates will come very soon.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 01:23:13 PM »

Tentative stocking plans:

Today: Sasamat, Como, Buntzen, Rice, Lafarge

Tomorrow: Rolley, Mill, Whonnock

Again, these are not 100% certain, it depends on the hatchery staff, if they can get to all the lakes today and tomorrow. The stockings and numbers etc will be confirmed later on today and tomorrow once they have been done.

dan-o

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 03:02:29 PM »

some of the squamish lakes have been stocked already. i know for sure as i was just at stump lake yesterday and couldn't keep them off my line, mostly small cutthroat.  seems a few brood stock have been added or the summer fish have had alot to eat.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 06:23:28 PM »

The trout that you were catching at Stump Lake were stocked back in spring months, the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery has not been stocking any lakes in the Lower Mainland until today. Those little cutthroat trout are not stocked, and they can be found in there year-round, quite a nuisance at times if you are trying to catch the bigger rainbows.

October 4th stocking is now available.

Whonnock - 300 fish
Rolley - 600 fish
Mill - 600 fish
Sasamat - 600 fish
Buntzen - 600 fish
Como - 600 fish
Rice - 300 fish

These fish are Fraser Valley rainbow trout at catchable size (average weight 222 grams). Good luck fishing the lakes this weekend.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 09:31:49 AM »

what about lafarge  ???
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

gheart008

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 05:10:03 PM »

Hmm, I don't see this on the GoFishBC report, and it hasn't been updated in the stocking report?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 10:14:37 PM »

The information goes to here and GoFishBC's office in Victoria from the hatchery, so it really depends on who gets to the updates first. I usually put them up right away since I am always glued to the computer. ;)

Lafarge Lake was stocked today, and it is a special one.

349 fish were stocked, and these fish are Blacwater Dragon 3N rainbow trout. 293 fish are unmarked and have an average weight of 200 grams. 56 fish are marked and have an average weight of 1,000 grams.

Enjoy the long weekend fishing.

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 06:45:11 PM »

I was at lafarge today fished for 3.5 hours and managed only 1 bite.I tried olive bugger,olive damsel,black bugger,beadhead burgundy sparkle bugger,beadhead black mohair leech with red rib,all with clear slow sink line.I tried adding a small split shot for awhile.Slow troll and stop with slow retrieve.I would app. any suggestions on how to get these fish to bite?Do blackwater trout perfer small baitfish?
Should I try rolled muddlers? Thanks.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

gheart008

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 06:53:53 PM »

Went to buntzen this morning from 8-12, only a few nibbles, managed to land only 1.  Definitely a freshly stocked guy as he was pretty small.  Buddy of mine only caught one as well.  Was a pretty quiet morning, although there were tons of people fishing off the shores and docks. 

Weird thing was when we got there, there were signs all over the place warning about the low water levels, and low water levels it was.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2007 fall trout stocking in local lakes
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 01:11:19 PM »

Here is a press release from the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC regarding the release of those larger rainbow trout.

http://www.gofishbc.com/SiteCM/U/D/1B5B76AB33D38B6F.pdf

NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
October 11, 2007

Freshwater Fisheries Society of B.C.

GO FISHING IN THE CITY THIS FALL!

COQUITLAM – The Freshwater Fisheries Society of B.C. released “catchable” rainbow trout into Lafarge Lake on Friday as part of its continuing effort to improve fishing opportunities in the Lower Mainland. “This release is part of an experiment that will have the added benefit of creating a unique fishing opportunity in the heart of Coquitlam this fall,” said biologist Stacy Webb.

The society transferred 350 rainbow trout (with weights up to 1000 grams in size) to Lafarge Lake from Frisken Lake near Kamloops. Like a number of other small interior lakes, Frisken Lake experiences “winter-kills” each year where many fish die off due to depleted oxygen levels. As an experiment, the society and the Ministry of Environment transferred the large fish that may have otherwise died in Frisken Lake to Lafarge Lake to determine if the process is viable. As an added benefit, the transfer will create a unique fall fishing opportunity for Lower Mainland anglers who want to try their luck catching these large trout. The society will also stock Lafarge Lake with hatchery-reared fish as part of its regular stocking operations.

“Lafarge Lake is relatively small, offers great shore-based fishing in the heart of Town Centre Park in Coquitlam,” said Webb. “So get a couple of rods, bring the kids and create your own urban fishing adventure this fall. And remember that while adults need a freshwater fishing licence, children under the age of 16 can fish for free.”

For more information on stocked lakes around the Lower Mainland, or for information on fishing licence vendors, please visit our website at: www.gofishbc.com.

-30-

For more information contact:

Stacy Webb
Sport Fishing Development Biologist
Freshwater Fisheries Society of B.C.
(604) 222-6753

Or visit our website.

The society has hired a lady to do angler survey on Lafarge Lake over the next few weeks, so some of you may be asked to participate in a survey while they are angling at the lake. The Society will use the information to assess how popular and successful the fish release was. The information will also help guide management decisions over the next few years.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 01:14:28 PM by Rodney »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 01:55:49 PM »

There have been new trout stockings lately:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_report/stocking_2.html

Guppy

• nothing but steelhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 11:00:53 AM »

I was at lafarge today fished for 3.5 hours and managed only 1 bite.I tried olive bugger,olive damsel,black bugger,beadhead burgundy sparkle bugger,beadhead black mohair leech with red rib,all with clear slow sink line.I tried adding a small split shot for awhile.Slow troll and stop with slow retrieve.I would app. any suggestions on how to get these fish to bite?Do blackwater trout perfer small baitfish?
Should I try rolled muddlers? Thanks.
use a sinking line with a green micro leech while trolling.
small fish in a big river

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 08:05:33 PM »

Thanks guppy, I'll give it a try.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.