Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mosquitos!  (Read 6380 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Mosquitos!
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »

My wife, 2 dogs and I were recently in the southern Cariboo on a lake near Clinton.  We were there for a total of 15 minutes because the mosquitos were the thickest I have ever encountered (and I have spent a lot of time in bad bug country).
Just wondering how others who are up country are finding this years mosquito crop ...

Robert_G

Re: Mosquitos!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 02:45:09 PM »

It's not isolated.
The entire province has more water this year.

Fairfield Island in Chilliwack is loaded wit em.

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 04:06:07 PM »

Camped around Harisson River during the long weekend. Everyone got hammered badly even with all the Bug spray coating on our body! Had four tiki lamps with citronella, mosquito coils and even the camp fire running around the clock and these Mosquitos were just persistent! Might have to give regular Listerine a try to see if it really detracts them.
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Butch1949

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 04:22:15 PM »

Last week my family and I were up at Heffley Lake, caught NO fish, just lots of mosquitos, brought back those bites just to prove it, and they were the main cause of having no fish, the trout were big and chrome, practically jumping in the boat just to mock us more, they weren't hungry, they hadn't eaten all the mosquitos obviously as my bite scars will attest , but enough so as to avoid even the kitchen sink we through at them, oh well......... :-\
"I don't catch fish"

Dogbreath

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »

Lotsa bugs is good for birds-and bird populations are way down due in part to indiscriminate use of chemicals.

jimmywits

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »

Best stock up on some fresh Muskol !!!

iCemAn

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »

It's in Alberta too. I got bit through my shirt like crazy last week in Calgary. I think they entire country is having a bad spring/summer with them with our weather.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:33:08 PM »

North Beach @ Allouette was quite pleasant today! Did not even get a bite while visiting friends. Landed a decent size pike minnow while at the mouth of Gold Creek and had a bunch of hits bottom fishing. HAPPY CAMPING AND FISHING!
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 08:04:06 AM »

Here in Salmon Arm the mosquitos are eating us alive! Really Bad! >:(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:09 PM »

Just got back from the west kootenays, and there were lots up there too..

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 08:21:10 PM »

Any reports from 100 mile house area - along the 'fishing highway'?

Thx  :)
Try the fly!

wizard

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »

put up some Bat boxes around your home, cabin or wherever.  they can knock back over 1000 mosquitos per hour...I think it's too bad alot of people are scared of bats, they should be cheered not feared.  8)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 05:21:10 PM »

Note statement on bats from Wendy.
Hi All,

I wanted to pass on the below message in black that I got today about the mosquito control program. I was just out before sunset and may need a transfusion from the amount of blood loss. I can’t imagine what it is like for the outside animals!

Although there is no good alternate programs for mosquito control that I know of, I do have some concerns. West Nile is also of some concern so I am torn. A few years ago when we had a bad year I thought that the organic larvicide sounded great. So I got them to try it out on my property. What I noticed though, is that I didn’t have any frogs for about 3 years after that, (just a coincidence? I don’t know). I haven’t used it since and the frogs are back. This is the first time that I have heard of them doing aerial applications of the larvicide, and I only heard about it today.

The Mosquito control guys did an info delegation. I asked about long term studies but they didn’t have much of those details. They were told and convinced that it was safe though and said that they had eaten some to prove the point. I guess I would like to know if the company that created and sells it does the studies, or if it there is an independent long term study. I will try to add that to my long list of reports that I am working on. If anyone ever sees any dead bats, please let me know. The disease looks like a white fungus. As far as I know it has not been seen in B.C. yet.

One unfortunate thing is that many of the mosquito’s natural predators are dying in mass. Over a year ago I heard that there was a disease Killing off millions of bats in the states and that was a new one to scientists. It has since moved to eastern Canada. I talked to an older farmer in PEI that said that there were no more bats there and that a lot of the birds that eat mosquito’s are also gone. When they sprayed for the Pine Beetle I heard that it also killed off many thousands of songbirds, some that would eat the beetles naturally. I have noticed as well a big drop in the birds that used to come to my place. Anyways, there is often a trade off to consider.

For any that want to try other methods of personal insect control check this link;

http://eartheasy.com/live_natpest_control.htm Usually the organic methods are not as potent and need to be applied more often. You could try organic on your skin and Deet for clothing, but of course it is all a personal choice. A friend just told me that she got a rash from the chemical bug spray and so just decided to stay inside for 3 weeks.

I have several deadlines to meet in the next few days before I do more detailed updates. But in brief;

I got a grant for Lake weeding supplies. I have also talked to a few experts in the last 2 weeks about how to go about it to protect lake species, and so will plan another meeting to talk about that and the supplies needed.

Hemlock finally got their updated OCP and bylaws in late May. It took awhile of back and forth to get what the majority of people who wrote or came to the meetings wanted, but worth the extra 2 months to get it worked out. The avalanche study will still go ahead this summer, and I’m sure that more details may have to be worked on after the info is in.

MOT gave permission to stop the train whistle in Lake Errock. They also volunteered to pay for the extra needed signage. So now we have work on a service area and what the insurance costs would be. It will need to go back to the public for another vote. A referendum at election time sounds like the cheapest solution. There will at least be a mail-out before to let people know the details.

That’s it for tonight, although I will have other updates soon.

All the best!