Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Completely Unacceptable Poaching!  (Read 11588 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Completely Unacceptable Poaching!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 06:58:26 PM »

Someone been drinking? ???

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 07:01:07 PM »

Someone been drinking? ???
Not just you thinking that, I have no clue what he's on about.  :-\

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »

FN have to make up their own mind about conservation i dont think any of us have the right to pass any judgment on their choice to still fish. The situation is way beyond complicated but the fact is stocks were not endangered pre contact.
[

SPEYMAN

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 10:47:02 PM »

From what I have been able to find, there was no fishery for steelhead prior to "pre contact". If our society is required to consult with aboriginals do we not deserve the same.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 10:49:42 PM »

FN have to make up their own mind about conservation i dont think any of us have the right to pass any judgment on their choice to still fish. The situation is way beyond complicated but the fact is stocks were not endangered pre contact.
Seriously? That's a horrible excuse, as this isn't the 1700's, its 2016.  Would you be happy if your doctor went "well a year ago you were perfectly healthy, I know you have cancer but hey, last year you were fine so we won't change anything"?

kinda what your suggesting.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:53:30 PM by clarkii »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 02:16:46 AM »

Seriously? That's a horrible excuse, as this isn't the 1700's, its 2016.  Would you be happy if your doctor went "well a year ago you were perfectly healthy, I know you have cancer but hey, last year you were fine so we won't change anything"?

Not, so.  What he is suggesting is that it is difficult to pass judgement on FN for fishing a run that was endangered by the actions of the European invaders of their land.  It does not justify what they are doing as good for the threatened stocks, but recognizes that the situation regarding FN rights to fish is complicated. 

A proper analogy would be the doctor criticizing him  for continuing to take a certain vitamin supplement  for his cancer treatment because the plant supply for that medication was running low because the doctor had been over prescribing it to a bunch of drug users that now weren't going to be able to get their fix.  While it is true that the supply is running low and it would be in the patient's best interest to stop taking the supplement before the plant supply, from which the treatment is synthesized, completely dries up,  he still has a right to continue taking the supplement, since it was not he that caused the shortage in the first place.  He is the one that needs to decide if it is in his best interest to conserve the supply he himself needs, even though it is not his fault it is running out.
Not all those who wander are lost

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 07:15:51 AM »

Not, so.  What he is suggesting is that it is difficult to pass judgement on FN for fishing a run that was endangered by the actions of the European invaders of their land.  It does not justify what they are doing as good for the threatened stocks, but recognizes that the situation regarding FN rights to fish is complicated. 

A proper analogy would be the doctor criticizing him  for continuing to take a certain vitamin supplement  for his cancer treatment because the plant supply for that medication was running low because the doctor had been over prescribing it to a bunch of drug users that now weren't going to be able to get their fix.  While it is true that the supply is running low and it would be in the patient's best interest to stop taking the supplement before the plant supply, from which the treatment is synthesized, completely dries up,  he still has a right to continue taking the supplement, since it was not he that caused the shortage in the first place.  He is the one that needs to decide if it is in his best interest to conserve the supply he himself needs, even though it is not his fault it is running out.

Well when the run is closed to fishing and he is out there fishing, blame can no longer be pointed at someone else if fish stock continues to decline as they are then part of the problem.  With my analogy they are the "doctor" and the steelhead run is with cancer, so it is accurate. 

Also considering they took down the video and pictures they know it is not kosher.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 07:36:13 AM »

From what I have been able to find, there was no fishery for steelhead prior to "pre contact". If our society is required to consult with aboriginals do we not deserve the same.

incorrect - they did take steelhead. Sometimes in considerable numbers. Any survey of FN subsistence I have seen (and I did my BA major in this area) lists steelhead as a species of fish FNs harvested on the coast
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 03:18:46 PM »

Well when the run is closed to fishing and he is out there fishing, blame can no longer be pointed at someone else if fish stock continues to decline as they are then part of the problem.  With my analogy they are the "doctor" and the steelhead run is with cancer, so it is accurate. 

Also considering they took down the video and pictures they know it is not kosher.

Exactly, his right to fish does not justify his own role in the continued decline of the stock. At this point he only cares about putting food on the table.  He will now be part of the blame if the run dies out completely in four years.  It is just difficult when you are blamed, by the people that caused the problem, for not helping to fix the problem.  I know he should help, he probably even knows he should.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 04:52:07 PM »

https://gyazo.com/37c5906e387ba1132f902c1dd8e69ce3

Apparently were caught on the Cowichan.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 05:52:16 PM »

Well the big one looks like a hatch, but pretty tough to identify a hatchery steelhead that has his back half cut off.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 06:13:06 PM »

Well the big one looks like a hatch, but pretty tough to identify a hatchery steelhead that has his back half cut off.

The hatchery getting fairly aggressive with their clipping! :o

ByteMe

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 07:06:04 PM »

Well that's positive!!........last year they had a net stretched across the mouth of The Cowie
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 07:16:37 PM »

Sandman already answered that for me, so i will just say that FN internal politics when it comes to Fishing, hunting and land are so complicated that any judgments we pass on the situation are so irrelevant its not even funny. Yes that guy obviously knows the Steelhead in that river are low and yes his band probably has told him and the community hey guys lets not fish steelhead for food.
Problem is many people will claim hereditary Chief status and say hey i decide where i can and cant fish and im gona fish. Or the same can be said for parts of the river same guy can claim as his families harvesting grounds dating back pre contact. Since there is virtually no documented history for FN who knows what the truth is. Point is we know nothing about these things and to say oh this guy is poaching is not our place. In the end its not the rules that DFO (who are concerned more about Canadas trade agreements than any real conservation) or Band office sets, but you as the individual that has to make the right choice out there in the wild.

There is a war going on out on all the rivers and parks of Canada as we speak, and that is for our freedoms and rights to fish and hunt. Privet enterprise is being favored by our government and the individual is slowly losing his right to fish for sport and for a meal, hunting is also in the same boat. Last year in BC we lost a big chunk of our moose draw in favor of Guides and Lodges, so that foreign big spenders can come and enjoy killing a moose ( they def dont need the meat) A herring commercial fishery was open last year in the central north coast despite the worries of first nations and none first nation scientist that this would disrupt the recovery of the Eulachon in the area that have been gone for years. Many Provincial parks in the north have been transformed from a place to be enjoyed by the tax payers, to a "NO GO" zone during peak bear viewing season because, people are paying lodges big bucks to see a bear in pristine environment and they dont wana see some guy fishing there or enjoying a early September swim in a nice glazier fed hole.

First nations were stripped of all their right and land and now its happening to the rest of us, so next time you see a picture of some FN with a steelhead or a sockeye realize yah its a shitty situation but hey its only getting worse for ALL of us.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:01:01 PM by Floater »
[