Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Short-floating or Snagging?  (Read 8277 times)

dcajaxs

Re: Short-floating or Snagging?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »

Was the guy yelling across the river?

yes he was yelling, I decided to stay out of it unless it esclated further though the  guys beside us all thought it was a bit strange.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 01:32:55 PM »

yes he was yelling, I decided to stay out of it unless it esclated further though the  guys beside us all thought it was a bit strange.

Yeah I was there, the guys that were doing the yelling were two good members off this forum. This was behind OTW store right?
The Bigger The Better!

dcajaxs

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »

Yeah I was there, the guys that were doing the yelling were two good members off this forum. This was behind OTW store right?

yes was in that area, I'm all for telling someone off I've done it from time  to time but all the ducks must line up in a row first.  And if unsure one can always phone RAPP.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »

Telling someone off for not having done anything wrong? The poor guy got there early to enjoy a nice day of fishing, and is getting harrassed from across the river.  :-\
The Bigger The Better!

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »

Not so good members as it turns out. ::)

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 06:11:16 PM »

how were you fishing ? dead drift  or were you  swinging towards shore? did you try and pop the snagged fish off or just do the snaggers yank 'n' crank ?How did you handle the fish? Ive seen guys hold their tongues on things and then freak out over little stuff because of what the person did before. Hard to know for sure without being there to actually see what took place, there's always two sides. If you are swinging a hook with wool then you are certain to snag some, much less likely chance to snag any at a dead drift.  IMO dead-drifting Jigs is by far the most effective method for chum, and far less likely to snag any fish.ive seen people snag chum with jigs too but it is typically because of a slow retrieve or fishing too deep

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 06:30:06 PM »

how were you fishing ? dead drift  or were you  swinging towards shore? did you try and pop the snagged fish off or just do the snaggers yank 'n' crank ?How did you handle the fish? Ive seen guys hold their tongues on things and then freak out over little stuff because of what the person did before. Hard to know for sure without being there to actually see what took place, there's always two sides. If you are swinging a hook with wool then you are certain to snag some, much less likely chance to snag any at a dead drift.  IMO dead-drifting Jigs is by far the most effective method for chum, and far less likely to snag any fish.ive seen people snag chum with jigs too but it is typically because of a slow retrieve or fishing too deep
Doesnt matter dude. These two guys had no business yelling from across the river at this fellow.Who are these guys,wannabe  fish cops?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »

Doesnt matter dude. These two guys had no business yelling from across the river at this fellow.Who are these guys,wannabe  fish cops?

salmonsturgeontrout is asking the OP about the incident at the Stave.

dcajaxs

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »

Telling someone off for not having done anything wrong? The poor guy got there early to enjoy a nice day of fishing, and is getting harrassed from across the river.  :-\

sorry about that, I didn't' write that quite correct.  I am only one for telling someone off if they actually did something wrong, and have evidence to back it up.  As I do recall we did question the fellow angler after but in a more courteous matter.   We were all there quite early but that sometimes just makes the difference between a good day and a not so good day.

RyanB

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 12:25:40 AM »

I have a related question.  I'm a fishing noob.  I did some bar fishing and lake fishing when I was younger, but I'm just getting back into fishing.  I plan on doing some freshwater fishing soon with a short float setup.

I was at a local river scouting around and saw a group of guys using a pencil weight setup:  pencil weight on mainline, swivel, 4 - 5 foot leader, pink yarn on hook.  They were not jerking the rod to the side, just a normal cast and retrieve.  Everyone else on the river was using a short float setup.

I did some searching when I got home and the pencil weight setup seemed fairly common.  But it seems this setup would be considered a borderline snagging setup, even if the leader isn't ridiculously long.

I'm going with the short float system, but I was curious how using a pencil weight system would be perceived by experienced anglers.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 07:53:28 AM »

I don't see a problem with using pencil lead, but a 4 - 5 foot leader is getting a bit long.  I've seen lots of guys use this set-up and as long as they are not jigging or setting the hook at nothing at every cast, I really don't have an issue with it.  The longer leader may lead to more snagged or flossed fish, but as long as they release the snagged fish properly, then who am I, or DFO, to argue?  In clear water conditions, it makes sense to go to a longer (and lighter) leader.  Again, 4 - 5 feet is too long IMHO.  But using pencil lead itself?

There does seem to be some wannabe cops out there and sometimes these guys are worse than the snaggers themselves.  There's a respectful way of telling people what the law is, or your opinion of the law.  Earlier this season, there were a couple of guys fishing in the dark with glo-sticks on their floats.  They were within the hour before sunrise.  One guy aggressively told them that they were breaking the law, and he was promptly told by them to "you-know-what".  I chose to pull out my iPhone, and look-up DFO's information about using lights and politely showed them the information.  They thanked me for it, and it was a much better experience all around.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 09:27:08 AM »

Its not just the length of your leader but how you use it that's important.  I see a serious problem here in that anyone using a leader longer than 24 inches could be accused of snagging without consideration of how they are fishing.  A longer leader with a longer float so that your lead is dragging or ticking off the bottom is a recipe for snagging or flossing.  I prefer to fish slow pools or runs where your float is moving slower than walking speed.  If the water is clear I sometimes run a 3 foot 8lb flourocarbon leader and setup my float so that the entire length of my gear is hanging vertical.  I cast further upstream to let the roe sink a bit before it gets to the zone.  At that slow speed of water and fishing with the gear vertical, its near impossible to floss a fish.  When the fish have seen a ton of lead fly by them, sometimes its critical to have some distance between your bait and the lead.

What I do have a problem with are those that rip the pool at the end of every cast.  Really, you are getting bites every cast at exactly the same spot? 

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »

What I do have a problem with are those that rip the pool at the end of every cast.  Really, you are getting bites every cast at exactly the same spot? 

LOL!
That's what I always ask them...of course, there's no reply, but usually they stop doing it every cast and do it every second or third cast.

bcguy

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 07:14:52 PM »

I have witnessed some very disturbing flossing. snagging, and ripping behind OTW store the last couple weekends, so blatant and repugnant, it just causes me to shake my head in disgust. Those poor fish, yesterday I even saw one fellow boot a coloured dog back into the water so he could fight it a little longer. No class IMHO. If your running float to leader longer than the water is deep, its only for one reason, and lets face it, other than a few pools, most runs are not 10 ft deep.
Its easy to understand why some people get upset by these poor angling practices. :P
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB