Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help an island boy learn about Shuswap Lake?  (Read 2375 times)

IslandRhino

Help an island boy learn about Shuswap Lake?
« on: July 25, 2006, 10:34:11 AM »

Hi folks!

I'm a newcomer to this site, but I'm already getting in trouble with the wife for spending a bit too much time browsing the forums and scanning the articles and not enough outside fixing the shed. Whoops. ;)

Anyways, this may come across as something of a silly question, but I'm going to go ahead and throw it out there...

I've been invited up to visit an old friend at his cabin on Shuswap Lake, near Sicamous to be exact. I'd love to do a bit of fishing on this lake while I'm up there, as I've heard good things from some good people. My problem lies in that I've actually never fished freshwater outside of Vancouver Island. Heck, even then, I've been limited to basic float fishing on some smaller stocked lakes local to me. I've been chasing a heck of a lot of nice spring salmon here in Victoria lately, but I'm completely in the dark as to what to pack up and bring along to Sicamous.

Can anyone point this freshwater newbie in the right direction? I believe I'll have access to a small fiberglass boat, but any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not asking for any secret spots to be divulged here... but a helpful nudge to get me started into any sort of fishing on this lake would be great.

Cheers!
-I.R.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Help an island boy learn about Shuswap Lake?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 04:22:47 PM »

Early/late/low lght anywhere freshwater enters the lake.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Help an island boy learn about Shuswap Lake?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »

You can do well on the Shwap using some of the knowledge you already know. Start out with 3 to 4 inch Tomic plugs at 50 to 70 feet on the downrigger.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"