Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice off  (Read 5877 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Ice off
« on: March 26, 2019, 03:34:23 PM »

Just took a drive to Sasquatch. Trout, Deer and Hicks have no ice. Kawkawa fished ok. Had a Jet boat doing loops around the lake for an hour. It was quite annoying considering the lake WAS calm.

Fatso

Re: Ice off
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 04:28:52 PM »

Yay!

Ice off!

I love ice off!

Spring is springing. 👍

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 11:22:47 PM »

Just took a drive to Sasquatch. Trout, Deer and Hicks have no ice. Kawkawa fished ok. Had a Jet boat doing loops around the lake for an hour. It was quite annoying considering the lake WAS calm.
Would be nice if these smaller lakes had a 9.9 hp outboard limit. Kawkawa Cultis etc...
Guess their is not any power boat racing about /water skiing in Chilliwack Lk.  (???)
Too cold.
Keep them in Harrison L in the area.
Annoying ya say...bet the fish if they could talk would agree.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 11:39:01 PM »

Both Hicks and Deer Lake at Sasquatch Provincial Park have motor restrictions. Cultus is not considered a small lake. It is what it is at Kawkawa, fishing isn't the only recreational activity.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 06:46:18 AM »

Personally I've never been a fan of motor size restrictions. Speed and seasonal controls make more sense. Example Hicks. It's a decent size lake. Would be nice to use a larger motor with a top speed limit during the swimming months when the weather is warmer. It's almost as big as Kawakaw. This time of year theres nobody on Hicks during the week and Kawakaw is nothing but fishermen till mid June, so introduce a speed restriction.

My 2 cents.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 08:15:16 AM »

What's the best way to hit Kawkawa this time of year? Fly, bait? Anything goes?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 01:34:58 PM »

Both Hicks and Deer Lake at Sasquatch Provincial Park have motor restrictions. Cultus is not considered a small lake. It is what it is at Kawkawa, fishing isn't the only recreational activity.
The big boys with the big boats on Cultus Lk keep the smaller boats off the lake.
Once was in a cartopper & big boat roared behind & turned & a huge wake came...like the Poseidon movie only this wave hit my stern.
Literally the boat took off riding the wave like a surf board!!!!
Thought we'd crash into the north shore but after travelling some distance the wave went under the boat.
Funny now but not when it was happening.
If I ever win a billion dollars a...will try to buy Cultus Lk & will only have friends fish & swim there.
You would be welcome Rodney. -Al
Guess at the Gate there would be protesters 24/7 7 days a week for the next 500...1000...yrs....

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 05:59:12 PM »

I’m not a water skiing type, but there’s only a few lakes for those guys around. Car toppers get lots of lakes to fish. Let them play.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 07:21:35 PM »

I fished here today and so did 20 other boats. Saw Rod when I was going back to the dock. The boy and I got 3 Koks.  The boy does have the patience to anchor so we had the downrigger out.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 08:37:15 PM »

If you go to Cultus with a small craft in mid summer when density of ski boat is at its highest, you're just asking for trouble. That's like riding a bike down Granville Street at 5pm and complaining how dangerous the traffic and exhaust it is. There are much more enjoyable lakes to fish at throughout the warm months.

Kawkawa is done until mid May when the fishing picks up again. What a let down for the season opener. At least the kids had fun.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »

I’m not a water skiing type, but there’s only a few lakes for those guys around. Car toppers get lots of lakes to fish. Let them play.

...a few? Alouette, Stave (if they dare), Harrison, Cultus, Chilliwack, Albert Dyck, Kawkawa.

Georgia Strait, Boundary Bay,The Fraser, Pitt River...I got buzzed by skiers on the North Al at Neaves Road on a miserable March Day...perhaps they thought no one would be there to see them break the 8k speed limit.

This isn't even counting what's available when in the Okanagan and other spots in the interior.

As for small lakes with too many power boats visit Shawnigan Lake near Duncan on a nice July day.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 07:05:49 AM »

Congrats on listing A FEW lakes. There’s more car topper lakes on one page of a back roads map book then you listed.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 07:15:41 AM »

the colloquial meaning of 'a few' is usually 2 or 3, maybe 4. It's possible to quickly list a dozen or more local venues for water skiing.

You make it sound like lakes such as Mill (once a popular location for it), Grace, Wolfe, Rolley etc should be all open for water skiing and other speed boat activities.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 08:18:46 PM »

I know I sure hated them the one time I tried kawkawa. Zero shits given, full speed parallel passes 20ft away from the canoe. One guy swamped us, had to go to shore to empty the boat...I get that ya gotta share the water but a little bit of courtesy goes a long way...

arimaBOATER

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 08:46:44 PM »

If you go to Cultus with a small craft in mid summer when density of ski boat is at its highest, you're just asking for trouble. That's like riding a bike down Granville Street at 5pm and complaining how dangerous the traffic and exhaust it is. There are much more enjoyable lakes to fish at throughout the warm months.

Kawkawa is done until mid May when the fishing picks up again. What a let down for the season opener. At least the kids had fun.
Your correct.
I was just a stupid teenager at the time. Live & learn.
Since learned many lessons with experiance.
Like the guy with his wife. & two small daughters in a small inflatable maybe 8 ft long ( max 10ft) with aluminum oars in the channel of the Fraser River by Steveston on high tide.
Big ship going down river & tug. & barge going up river.
The guy had no idea he should not be on this river with what craft he had.
Life's stories are many....
The story gets even worst. ( Cultus ) in another 14 ft Fiberglass boat ( ours ) it was coming to the launch & a ski boat came around the corner & only one guy in the ski boat. Operator was staring at the skier & his boat rammed our boat. Thank goodness no major injuries. Boat flipped & ski boat went flying in the air  !!!!!!!
If ya want real excitement spend time boating in the main Fraser from New West to Sandheads & Georgia Straight. Believe me spent 1000s of hrs in max 16 ft boat....
Most times safe but there were many times....scared / heart stopping / on & on...
Need a T Shirt with message...boated Richmond area Fraser R to Sandheads & beyond  & still alive.  :o
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:48:49 PM by A-BOATER »