Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heads up Vedder Fishermen  (Read 4205 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Heads up Vedder Fishermen
« on: October 03, 2021, 09:32:59 PM »

As if break ins aren't enough, now thieves are stealing your catalytic converters while you're out fishing.  >:( >:(

cammer

• I'm a llama!
Re: Heads up Vedder Fishermen
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 12:10:49 AM »

Last week I seen a blonde girl late 30s in a newer Jeep under the highway bridge! Acting strangely enough where I was worried about my truck ! She was seemingly looking around and I was thinking definitely a look out !  Then a younger guy showed up and began to hang around ?  Bearded ,chubby driving a truck maybe 30,  no fishing gear  !  Definitely could of been a racket but after reading this topic I would not doubt it was them

Phronesis

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 09:00:01 AM »

Where in vedder did this happen? Was it not a public parking spot?

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 09:33:20 AM »

My diesel golf catalytic converter was cut parking in Metrotown underground parking several years ago. looks thieves moved to fraser valley.

stsfisher

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 10:06:47 AM »

Well I do need a new muffler/exhaust system on my truck...........

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 11:12:00 AM »

Where in vedder did this happen? Was it not a public parking spot?

Upper river below Tamahi

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 11:41:06 AM »

i work for a ford dealer in town. the amount of catalytic converter theft is unbelievable. a few of our customers have been hit multiple times.

on any modern diesel that has the cat and dpf stolen, its 10k per truck.

it use to just be junkies that were stealing them. now i think organised crime is targeting them as well with precious metal prices going through the roof

we are all paying for this bs as icbc customers.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 11:57:12 AM »

i work for a ford dealer in town. the amount of catalytic converter theft is unbelievable. a few of our customers have been hit multiple times.

on any modern diesel that has the cat and dpf stolen, its 10k per truck.

it use to just be junkies that were stealing them. now i think organised crime is targeting them as well with precious metal prices going through the roof

we are all paying for this bs as icbc customers.

The theft is terrible. But how do you get to the 10k$ cost? A used cat for a Ford F150 2008 installed is about $1k (non-dealer shop). Maybe there's more markups I don't know about. It's sort of like when my fender bender estimate was $3500 (at official ICBC body shop) but I actually got it done for $650 privately (non ICBC body guy). ICBC needs to reign it retail cost markups imo too. We all pay for that as well.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 11:58:57 AM by dennisK »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 01:53:58 PM »

modern diesel engine use very sophisticated exhaust system to reduce nox called a dpf (diesel particulate filter). if you have a 2008 to current super duty it cost icbc just under 10k to have an exhaust system replaced. gas engines dont require the use of a dpf therefor the cost to replace is significantly lower.

like i stated all modern diesel engines have this type of system so this isn't just a ford issue.

one of the exhaust systems i ordered i had to wait 5 months to get.

in california it is illegal to sell or buy exhaust components because theft got so bad. wouldn't surprise me if bc went that direction once they notice how much they are paying in preventable theft.

Darko

• Old Timer
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Phronesis

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 06:56:17 PM »

Upper river below Tamahi

I see, sorry to be a bit off topic here - but just for my knowledge, is it legal to drive without a catalytic converter in BC say after you got robbed of converter, just until you reach home ? Or have to get it towed

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 07:05:38 PM »

I see, sorry to be a bit off topic here - but just for my knowledge, is it legal to drive without a catalytic converter in BC say after you got robbed of converter, just until you reach home ? Or have to get it towed

Not everybody is mechanics. Most drivers don't know until the repair shop telling them the catalytic converter gone.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 08:11:08 AM »

if the cats have been stolen you will know right away. your car will be so loud that it will almost be undriveable. also you will have a check engine light on.

Phronesis

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2021, 09:17:54 AM »

if the cats have been stolen you will know right away. your car will be so loud that it will almost be undriveable. also you will have a check engine light on.

Right, i was wondering if you can drive that to a mechanic or get it towed because its illegal to drive?

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2021, 10:36:18 AM »

You're not supposed to drive it. If you have comprehensive(?), ICBC should reimburse towing fees

Its not just the Vedder either, I know firsthand they've been stolen at the Norrish, and I've heard second hand it's happened at the Stave.