Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 2nd 2008  (Read 6304 times)

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
Re: Chilliwack River, October 2nd 2008
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 02:42:33 PM »

good report

you are using 8 lb leader for a spoon ? how did you set it up coz it might be a new lesson for me fishing spoon
hardware == fish

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 03:33:34 PM »

When fishing with a spoon, it can simply be tied onto the main line. Some prefer to use a lighter leader if the main line is too heavy.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 10:39:42 PM »

Ghostfish. This river is probably the busiest river in the province. No spot is a secret. If Rodney wants a picture of it on the forum its his choice. If their are 15 people there the next day than move to another spot. It has nobodys name on it......

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 11:18:48 PM »

hey keep those opinions in a pm to the guy, i dont think anyone wants to see u do that to another member, talk about low blow! How many photos have u posted ghost? Sure rodney posted a photo of a good run, so what, there are another 40 on the river, go buy a pair of breathables so u can walk more and move the feet god gave u.
Fish killer 101

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 11:34:01 PM »

I kinda share Ghost fish's feelings (no offense Rodney). I have been walking this whole river from August on... and have found a few productive holes where I normally (or anyways use to be able to) fish alone and in peace where I didn't have to deal with all the snagging and other crap that goes on. Like Ghost Fish said, there were 15 people there today, along with 8+ at the run above it and many more at the run across from it.

The point is that this spot may have been overlooked by many before (NO WHERE ON THE VEDDER IS A SECRET) but there are many places people overlook until pics are posted of catching fish. The next day all those people go swarming there, and the fish in there normally have no chance because of questionable methods. What Rodney wants to do is his own bisuness. I have to admit I am a little chokes as well. Now instead of walking 15 mins from my house to an un-crowded spot I will have to walk 1+ hour to get to an area with few other people around. Just my $0.02.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 12:17:16 AM »

What's hot one day may be dead the next. Fish move so should the fisherman.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 12:36:33 AM »

Are you sure  ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 01:09:44 AM »

Are you sure  ::)

Positive

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 02:31:18 AM »

I have to admit I am a little chokes as well. Now instead of walking 15 mins from my house to an un-crowded spot I will have to walk 1+ hour to get to an area with few other people around. Just my $0.02.

Don't be choked ED, you'd live longer and have more time to fish like Chris. ;) I think you are better off walking 30 minutes instead of 1+ hour. With 1+ hour of walking, you'd be standing right in the crowd at the Crossing. ;D

I made a conscious decision to share these photos with full awareness that some who I fish with also utilize these areas frequently. After operating a fishing discussion forum for 6 years, I would like to think that I am just as concerned about hot spotting as other readers. Several things to consider before engaging in these discussions which come up from time to time.

The fishing report section is limited to a small percentage of all website visitors. The access changes made last year are intended to make this section more enjoyable for both reporters and readers. Those who take the time to contribute in the discussion forum gain the privilege to access the fishing reports. It is set up as a mutual exchange system so all can benefit. By suggesting that a run mentioned in the report has been transformed into a meat hole, wouldn't that be insulting contributors/readers of this section?

The day in question is the first Saturday of October. It is rather inaccurate to make a correlation between a report and a spike of angling pressure, because every other run is just as busy, if not busier, on this day. If the increase rate of angling pressure was significantly higher at this run than other locations (ie. fishing pressure at other runs remain low or unchanged), then the concern would actually be valid. Unless each angler at the run was surveyed and asked why or how they ended up fishing at this particular location, this discussion should not even be had, because both view points would be defended based on theories, not statistical facts.

Here are two photos of nearby runs on October 2nd 2004, first Saturday of October. With six vehicle access points nearby, somehow I think that a sudden increase of angler numbers on weekends is caused by factors greater than a fishing report in a private board.

What is somewhat humorous is the reported catches that the photographs accompanied were not exactly productive. A few missed bites and two landed adult chinook salmon do not exactly translate into a hot spot. I would like to think that most readers with some intellect have actually taken the time to examine the story behind the photographs. If that was the case, I cannot see why anyone would aim to fish it based on the report, unless they were fishing it because I did, which would be quite flattering, or, disturbing.

By following up with responses such as the above would only fuel up curiosity among readers, which was probably not there in the first place. What has caused more harm? The actual report or the suggestion that the report has exposed a hot spot?

Why are people jumping on me because Im showing the effects of what the internet does?

I'm just expressing my thoughts here on a public forum (which is my choice as well and what the forum is for isn't it?) on how the internet affects fishing. Yes BoBo even on busy flows like the chedder. Why never any pics from you over there on the rock? No fish? You must catch fish, you do have an idea of what youre doing right?

Perhaps the method used to deliver the view points should be polished, so the reception would not be as negative like some of the responses in other threads. Are the postings done this way deliberate, or simply due to inexperience in communication? I only question because they lack respect, which is why they are deleted from time to time. Keep in mind that the moderators' duty is to maintain a discussion forum so it sustains an atmosphere that all users can enjoy. The discussion forum is not public, but privately owned and operated. The registration agreement clearly lays out what are acceptable in here. Opinions are welcome, but members should have some self reservation when expressing them. When posts are deleted, they are most often done due to the approach, not the view point. As I pointed out in a fishing report earlier last week, if deletions become repetitive, then further actions such as ceasing of posting or registration privileges would be used. On Friday, we did just that to two members who couldn't seem to contribute anything but negativity.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 08:34:17 AM »

Ghostfish. This river is probably the busiest river in the province. No spot is a secret. If Rodney wants a picture of it on the forum its his choice. If their are 15 people there the next day than move to another spot. It has nobodys name on it......

I'm just expressing my thoughts here on a public forum (which is my choice as well and what the forum is for isn't it?) on how the internet affects fishing. Yes BoBo even on busy flows like the chedder. Why never any pics from you over there on the rock? No fish? You must catch fish, you do have an idea of what youre doing right?

I have posted pics of fish from the island just look around and you will see. Just as you have expressed your opinion I have expressed mine. I am not offended by what you just wrote. I would post more photos of fish on the Rock but I have not even been out in nearly a month. Its the price I pay for starting a new business. If you really want some photos I'll post some but its not going to change anything. My opinion is that the Vedder is the biggest hatchery produced salmon river in BC. Its a river for people to catch fish and keep fish. So their are no secrets. Its of the persons choice to post where he fished. If you choose not to post photos because you are worried people will know where you were catching fish thats cool but you cant really get upset over someone else wanting to post their success. Do you think these photos help sell licenses or reduce license sales? We all want more licenses sold because that means more money back into the resource. Think of how many people would not buy licenses if the Vedder was shut down or the hatchery stopped producing fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 09:05:47 AM »

Well put bb200. My 2cents on this is the Vedder is and always be crowded. Oct 4 is a Saturday and alot of us have the weekends off. Those who have the luxury of getting mid week days off get to fish a lesser degree of crowding. To point out and     
say this forum and the users who post pics and reports are causing the crowding is truely unfair.  Many people view this forum and the content within but people find other avenues to lead them to fish our beloved Vedder. 

I used to work at a local tackle shop and at first wouldn't give out info other than what was already first hand knowledge. One slow day I had a discussion on this topic with another staff and he pointed out that what I was doing wouldn't make a bit of differrence as all the other tackle shops are sending guys to the Vedder by the dozens. It was part of their bussiness to do so. Some people even got maps to specific runs with an X on where the sweet spot is. On a number of occaissions when I'm in my favourite shop I hear customers ask " where can I go, how's the fishing,where's the best place to go.... etc. and the anwser it most often the Vedder. This info then gets circulated around everyone's fishing network.
It ain't the roe bro'

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 12:55:05 PM »

Go to Freds. He has a map of most of the runs on the Vedder. How many people own that map? That gives away many of the spots more so than anyone posting pictures. The map does show the runs that get the most pressure but for those willing to explore they will do so with or without the map.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 04:29:49 PM »

To suggest that posting a picture of any of the popular lower Vedder spots can cause major crowding is quite unfounded. Most newer fishers cannot recognize the run from the pic anyways. Those who can instantly recognize it have probably fished the Vedders for eons of time and should have tons of other spots to fish when one spot is busy. They also should have a mental map of what spots will likely be good at a given water level or clarity. As FA puts it, these spots turn hot and cold daily. I was into 15 hook ups in one spot last saturday, and this week, zil, and like most fishermen, we just move on to the next spots.

The newbies don't have such ability, so they probably choose a spot based on seeing lots of cars parked at a given spot (smell fishy to them), or they actually see lots of fish pulled out of a spot when they aimlessly wander around the river. That was how I got to know Tamahi as a newbie some 20 years ago, just driving along the road until you see all that cars - smell fishy to any newbie who wouldn't have a clue where to start. We also discover Train Bridge area because you can see all the actions in plain view. The gong show spot below the Crossing this year is a good illustration of this point. I don't think there was a pic posted for it until long after the spot becomes so notorious for crowding and snagging that a thread was started and pictures of the spot posted. Actually, I saw much less crowding there this weekend when I drove by the bridge. So why hasn't  the pic and the internet exposure of it cause more crowding?

So how is it that a productive lower river run or pool can remain secret? I just don't see how. There are many access points all along the lower river on both sides, and people walk back and fore along the river all day and fishing actions are in plain view most of the time. So if a run is producing, it will draw crowd one way or the other, not necessarily by an internet report. Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:33:33 PM by Steelhawk »

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 05:04:27 PM »

thanks Steelhawk
well said
hardware == fish

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 06:07:23 PM »

Actually, I saw much less crowding there this weekend when I drove by the bridge. So why hasn't  the pic and the internet exposure of it cause more crowding?

I beg to differ.... was there today waiting for roe  ;D  This is exactly why more people dont go there : 1) No more room, 2) Would you want to be part of this......?

There were 35 people from 11 till 12:30 (the time I sat and watched), you may not see them all but that is because I couldn't fit them all in the photo  :o Was quite amuzing watching 2 guys fall in during that time period off the rock wall. Also funny to watch someone hook a fish, have 6 guys cast over their line, and then try to run it down and get away from the crowd so they could bonk their foul hooked fish.

P.S fisheries copter flew over a few times  ;)