Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: centerpin reel & rod balancing  (Read 8204 times)

corgi

centerpin reel & rod balancing
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:27:56 PM »

This was my first salmon season and I started float fishing with a centerpin after reading many threads here

I went about and found a centerpin reel in my price range that's about 8oz.  I also picked up a rod, the Streamside FL1132.

After fishing awhile with it and noticing some strain on my index finger, I believe it is quite unbalanced and tip heavy.  I realized this by putting my finger(s) just infront of the reel where I typically like to hold the rod and reel with one hand.

I'm curious what I can do to better balance this?

Some ideas are:

- position the reel higher to better balance.  due to the static reel seat, i think i can hack it by using some zap straps and electrical tape
- add weight somewhere on the rod...?
- buy a new rod (solution to everything...)
- work out my index finger more lol...

Thx in advance! 

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: centerpin reel & rod balancing
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 07:55:56 PM »

Reposition your reel on the same rod is the cheapest.   But if you want to buy a New Year gift, then go for a new combo ...Good luck hunting...

spoiler

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 04:41:15 PM »

Just add a heavier butt box.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »

stop fishing and take up golf  :-X
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

corgi

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »

stop fishing and take up golf  :-X

Not the biggest golf fan...I'd rather troll  :P

corgi

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 08:53:29 PM »

Thx - appreciate the help...didn't even know i could switch the butt cap!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 09:11:19 PM »

You can get butt caps that go over the existing butt of your rod (like a rubber stopper on the end of a cane) but IMO they suck as they can come loose and just look crappy. However this is likely the cheapest option at around 5 bucks. I forget where I got mine...I think it was Cabela's or Basspro.

I know nothing about moving the reel position, but you CAN add weight to the reel such as lead core line on the reel before the line, etc.

If it were my set up and I did not want to buy a new rod or reel I would take it to a good fishing shop or rod builder and ask them for options for balancing the setup. I imagine the best option would be to have a permanant weighted cap affixed to you rod butt which would look very nice.

Basically many options depending how my $ you want to invest in this rod/reel. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:57:50 AM by Spawn Sack »

jim

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 03:36:14 PM »

One way you are not considering would be to mount your reel down closer to the butt box, say 5-6" above it. The rod becomes a two handed rod instead of a one hander. Cast with your left arm, finger the spool with right index finger, reel in with right hand.

corgi

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 09:30:39 PM »

sorry, stupid question....

what is a butt box?  i tried googling...

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 09:48:57 PM »

corgi,

A butt box is the knob at the bottom of the rod.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 10:58:36 PM »

I too bought a steamside when I got my first centerpin. One thing that might be making your index finger sore is the fact that these rods are threaded on the reel holder backwards. Your finger is sitting on the threads instead of on the cork. This to me created discomfort which could make you think that the combo is top heavy. Also this rod has a very short butt section which puts the reel closer to the end of the rod. Just some thoughts
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

bcguy

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 09:49:28 AM »

I too bought a steamside when I got my first centerpin. One thing that might be making your index finger sore is the fact that these rods are threaded on the reel holder backwards. Your finger is sitting on the threads instead of on the cork. This to me created discomfort which could make you think that the combo is top heavy. Also this rod has a very short butt section which puts the reel closer to the end of the rod. Just some thoughts

I found the same thing with the Shimano Convergence, I just tied one of my rod wraps around the threaded portion irritating my finger. But that's the difference between a $100 rod and a $500 rod
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Silex-user

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »

Try put some couple of wraps of  vinyl electrical tapes around the threads.

I actually like my C-pin rods with short butt section at bottom half of the cork handles.

Silex-user

corgi

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »

You guys rock!  Didn't think the exposed threads were capable of that.

I did some combo hockey tape, electrical tape over it and worked pretty good today.

Ryanp502

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 11:03:55 PM »

Replacing the butt box is super easy go into any local tackle shop ask for one most places will even put it on for free all you have to do is give your existing one a good hard twist and it should come off an you can replace it with a heavier brass one. You'll need a good two part epoxy to hold the new one in place
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:06:00 PM by Ryanp502 »