Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Acceptable time fishing....  (Read 5134 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Acceptable time fishing....
« on: August 09, 2005, 11:23:04 PM »

Ok this one is for all you boys... or even gals out there...... My wife isnt in to fishing.  She says i do it to much... what do you think is an acceptable amount of times durring a week that i should be allowed to go fishing... I think 3 if its local and 1 if it requires more than a 45 min drive.. what do you think
see ya on the river

No_way

Re: Acceptable time fishing....
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 01:26:20 AM »

Not to get too Dr. Phil about it, but I think the answer is between you and your wife.  Many people, including myself have faced this issue.  I'll posse my answer as questions:

Why does she think you fish too much?  Are you neglecting other duties... or your wife?  Or are you simply expected to spend more time "at home"? Would she really be happier with you sitting on the couch bitter about how "you're not allowed to go fishing".

We all need personal time.  For you that might be fishing, how does your wife spend the time you are away?  Does she use it as personal time or as time to brood about you not being there?

Fishing has historically been a great way to "escape the old lady": if you're doing that then fishing isn't the real problem to be addressed, is it?  Could she be jealous of fishing, or the fact that you have a hobby (or obsession)?

There is no such thing as too much fishing; the problem must be too little of something else (and not necessarily what the more dirty minded my be thinking) ;)  I'm curious to see how and if you work this out, PM me.  Most of the people reading this can identify with your position.

Sinaran

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 06:39:07 AM »

although i am still single, i love your answer, No_way!!  will keep that in mind for sure.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 08:12:38 AM »

One needs time to rejuvenate and refresh.

phatwop

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 08:32:32 AM »

what do you think is an acceptable amount of times durring a week that i should be allowed to go fishing

..you have to be "allowed to go fishing"? you still have your cajones right?  :'( my lady will accompany me every once in awhile if she feels like it and i go whenever and wherever i feel like.  as long as you contribute to bringing home the bacon, helping with the kids and household things, i personally don't see why you need to be "allowed" . if you fish the early morning shifts, that usually doesn't even get in the way of anything...after work, maybe.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 09:18:44 AM »

Some people have relationships that involve compromise and understanding.  Yes, couples give each other permission do to things.  When it becomes excessive in one partner's mind then the permission is revoked.  This generates discussion to determine what is the actual issue (since, as  someone pointed out, it's ususally just the scapegoat for something else) and a chance to work out that problem.

Give and take - part of a loving, caring relationship.  No need for the testosterone fueled way of the 50's and 60's.  Men and women are EQUAL partners in relationships.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 11:03:18 AM »

LOL  ;D

Seems like most of us have the same problem. I don't feel so alone now ;)

I think the key is to get your wife/gf into a hobby that she likes and she'll be too busy to know you went fishing. But of course, you still have to contribute to your share of household work and spend some 'quality' time at home (her kind of quality time, not yours).

The best but least likely scenerio is to get her into fishing too. Maybe start off on some coarse fishing and prime her up to catch some pinks. She should be hooked once she experiences some salmon action! Thats my plan  ;D

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 11:18:04 AM »

Well, let's put it this way, if the price of fuel keeps going up the way it has, let's just say that few will able to afford to go fishing very frequently with a boat in the chuck, and the real issue won't be spending time with your wife. Why not spend more time with your wife doing the stuff that she does, take an interest in her stuff, spend time with her, and then try to  maybe make your fishing experiences more friendly to your wife by maybe incorporating her into your fishing trips?

Steeler2000

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 12:14:27 PM »

Fishing is an addiction .  :-\
You will have to stop cold turkey  ( or Cool Coho ) or maybe when you get the feeling you will need a number to call so you can have someone talk you down .
I'm sure there are other wives out there that would man the phones .
Maybe they could come up with a fishy patch that you just rub when you get the urge and
suddenly you just feel like staying home and painting the living room  ::) ;D ;D :P
Like someone else was saying we have all been there and you just have to work it out with the wife.
In laymans terms that means the day is coming when she just tells you the way it is and you tell her the way it is and a happy medium ( for who I not sure ) is worked out  :-X  :-*  8)

halorail

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 06:25:51 PM »

I try to only fish when I'm mornings, evenings some time in the afternoons. And of courses every weekend.
Pack Out Your Trash

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 07:02:21 PM »

Hi my name is jon, and I have a fishing problem...

Some times in the past I used to fish around 20 hours a week. before work, and then after if I could or on the weekend for long days.  Thats not fair to all my other duties like work (got to pay the bills and do a good job) and the lady (don't want to cut into our time).  So I think once a week is enough.  just get as much skill as possible first and make better use of your fishing time, and you will be satisified with fewer fishing hours  ;)

Seems we all have the same problem.

Mr 5

No_way

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 01:15:50 AM »

Hi my name is jon, and I have a fishing problem...

Some times in the past I used to fish around 20 hours a week. before work, and then after if I could or on the weekend for long days.  Thats not fair to all my other duties like work (got to pay the bills and do a good job) and the lady (don't want to cut into our time).  So I think once a week is enough.  just get as much skill as possible first and make better use of your fishing time, and you will be satisified with fewer fishing hours  ;)

Seems we all have the same problem.

Mr 5

You actually get satisfied?!  I only go home when it's to dark to fish or I need to go to bed.  My name is Michael, and I have a REEL fishing problem  ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 04:04:25 AM »

What I even have float that has LED on the tip for fishing the night  ;D
In my family my mom doesn't like fishing, but my father loves it.  So
I go out with my dad fishing and my sister stay at home with my mom.
(this is when we were kids)
Then when we were in teens.  Everyone wants time out from home.
So we usually pick spot where non-fishers go trail walking, and everyone
gathers for BBQ/picnic and coffee, and areas where no family activity is
avilable... well kind of have to stay away.
Now adays, we just bring lawn chair for my mom and a portable gas stove
to make fresh coffee for her.  And we are allowed to barfish, dock fish, and
near shore boat fishing (meaningh where she can see you and signal you
to come back  :P ).

I think it's really in the work done at home.  My parents both worked. My mom
doesn't mind coming home cooking doing house chores while my dad watches
TV, reads. But leaving the house to have fun.... NOT A CHANCE.  Well I guess
its not fair either.

So how much time is okay to be fishing....
It really depends on how time the couple can spare to have fun (fishing and sorts)
then come home to finish whatever house work needs to be taken care of TOGETHER.

No_way

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 04:56:37 AM »

I just want to say that I'm very impressed with how modern these responces are.  Even a decade or two ago one would expect a lot more "who wares the pants in that family" rubbish.  I'm very glad to see this and think you should all be very proud of yourselves.

Good work!  :D

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 12:12:08 PM »

I advised Val when we first met that I fish....I eat....I sleep...but mostly I fish....is no probs when I wanna go fishing.....cos she knows that I also eat and sometimes even sleep ...so I'll b along in good time....that bein' said....I do dutifully follow her around Wal-Mart when she asks....if I'm not goin' fishin'.....gotta give a lil' ta take a lil'.... ;))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley