Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Pinks  (Read 4131 times)

coyote100

Squamish Pinks
« on: August 09, 2005, 02:11:24 PM »

Since there is not much going on in the Fraser right now, was wondering how the Squamish river is for flyfishing pinks right now, and where to go there? Thnx for any responce.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Squamish Pinks
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 03:26:21 PM »

Pardon my lack of geographical knowledge of the area, but doesn't the recently killed Cheak flow into the Squamish?  Shouldn't be be keeping those guys unmolested?

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 04:29:12 PM »

There will be NO retention of Pinks in the Squamish system.
As noted it might be a real good ideal to leave them alone period as they are in really poor shape due to the accident and the floods.
The Fraser is getting millions, so it would be nice to go play with them instead!

tsuribaka

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 11:30:09 PM »

Why was this moved to the general discussion area?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 03:34:05 AM »

Because it's not a report  ::)

It was a general request for information.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 08:14:45 AM »

Talked to a buddy yesterday who just returned from the Cheakamus. Says the pink fishing was awesome. The PH level has returned to normal.

meca_357

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 06:29:26 PM »

Yeh i think im heading up this weekend too try and get me one on the fly

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 09:52:56 PM »

Better check the Fishery Notice page as i would not be surprised if it was closed to fishing by then.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 10:00:21 PM »

I just scanned through the DFO fishery notice and WLAP in-season change pages, no changes in regulations yet.

bkk, how are you guys doing with the volunteer situation at Tenderfoot Hatchery? Perhaps you can provide us an update on the fish kill information collection and what the public can do now to support the recovery process of this unfortunate event.

For those of you who are still unaware, there has been a chemical spill in the Cheakamus River.

meca_357

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 01:30:37 PM »

Thats what i was thinking C.F. not quite sure where since i havent been up, but i was gonna give a shout to local tackle and ask for sme direction and ideas where i can toss the fly as well gear with my new set up that hasnt gotten a fish yet  >:( and it was too expensive for it just to lie around ... if your interested in heading up PM and we'll see what the deal is

tight lines

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 09:36:21 PM »

I STILL CAN NOT BELIEVE  the people are still going up to squamish to fish. After all that has happened in that system lately and in the past. Sone there will not be anything there either. I thought that we the fishermen where supposed to think about impacts like that for the future of our sport. And you thought that they fn where bad. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 10:27:00 PM »

Well, this should stop all the whining, a closure will be in effect for the Cheakamus, Mamquam and Squamish downstream of the confluence of Cheakamus starting on Monday August 15th. The closure will last until Sept 30th.  It will then be revaluated before the 30th.  This will be a total fishing closure. There should be a fisheries notice coming out tomorrow regarding this.

Howe Sound will close to retention of both Pink and Chinook Salmon as of Monday Aug 15th.  This closure will include Furry Creek.

My best wishes to those remaining fish. Thread closed, too many Squamish thread talking about the same thing.

Let's focus the attention on the recovery of the Cheakamus River, updates will be posted in the Cheakamus River chemical spill thread in the future.