Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harrison River this time of year  (Read 8954 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Harrison River this time of year
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 06:33:08 PM »

Awesome thanks guys. Well it sounds like for the wife and I to go out on our own is do-able, in which case I would probably drive to Kilby and launch there and avoid the extra stress of going from Island -22 to the Harrison. I've never gone upriver from I-22 and I think I'll wait until someone shows me the channels first before I take my boat up there.

A member on this site offered to take me out on his boat if he goes out on Saturday, so that will be nice if it works out. If not I still have the other friend who knows the rivers well, but our days off never seem to line up and I doubt we will be able to line a day up before the salmon fishing is over.

I will take a look at google maps/earth and try to get a mental map of the river and where you guys are saying to stick to before I venture out there. Still, I think I will wait for a friend to take me first on their boat before I go in mine. A bit lame I know esp since we have a jet boat...but being new to the game at this point we are ultra conservative!! Looking forward to learning the rivers and the channels and down the road driving the safest routes with confidence :)

Shinny

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »

I know someone with a jetboat and he is able to plot his course on navi when going one way and then do an autopilot steering on the way back if you have too..He controls the speed and the boat steers based on the previously plotted course. I think he has only used it once or twice when he was out on the river and didn't leave enough daylight to get from thrasher rock back to the Harrison lake Marina (45mins obo.) turned on the boats navigation lights, let auto steer do its thing and just went slow. Probably best to leave enough time to get back and see what your doing  ???

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 04:52:45 PM »

Yes , it may be advantageous to launch at 22 however last I looked at Agazzi , the Fraser was really low . It's a little over a half hour drive over the Agazzi bridge to Kilby last I drove from the Vedder . The harrison is gin clear and you can easily see bottom by the most part . Stay to the right of the river , that is where it is deepest . Once your up past the bridge stay to the right . It runs anywhwere from 6 to 12 foot of water . Stay away from the first set of pilings , that is where it is shallow . Stay on the  main channel as everyone else does and ur good . Most of the gravel bars you pull up to the water drops off fairly steep unlike most Fraser bars . Anyway it's your call . I would just go with your friend and let him show you where to go , or take your boat and your friend can navigate . It's really not that bad . Or ...take me and I'll show you  ;D . Just kidding . A sounder with a GPS is your best friend as you can plot your trip for next year to .  8) HAVE FUN. BE SAFE .

Hey armytruck, I'm looking at Google Earth here and your advice. So it looks like your directions would be followed heading to the H going upriver from I-22?

And by the "the bridge" I am assuming you are talking about the first bridge you pass before Kilby? I see as youi go upriver you also pass under the hwy7 bridge before you get to the Chehailus.

I know someone with a jetboat and he is able to plot his course on navi when going one way and then do an autopilot steering on the way back if you have too..He controls the speed and the boat steers based on the previously plotted course. I think he has only used it once or twice when he was out on the river and didn't leave enough daylight to get from thrasher rock back to the Harrison lake Marina (45mins obo.) turned on the boats navigation lights, let auto steer do its thing and just went slow. Probably best to leave enough time to get back and see what your doing  ???

wow that is pretty cool but no my boat does not have auto-steer, nor do I have a GPS. Before next fall I plan to have a new fishfinder with GPS.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 08:47:14 PM »

There are no issues from the Fraser to The Rail bridge at Kilby, where it gets tricky is above the Hwy 7 bridge.  That is where you stay to the right (off the flats) but don't go too far right at the trailer park as that is a shallow dead end.  Head up the main channel and then stay left near the pilings by the Chehalis mouth.  That is where you need to watch the bottom for the sudden gravel bars that pop up suddenly.  I have run up numerous times in my 10 foot inflatable with a 8Hp outboard and have never hit ground (except while drifting down the back side of the bar across from the Chehalis Mouth) but then I have the outboard up and i am just drifting with current using my oars, casting christmas trees into back waters for coho and trout.
Not all those who wander are lost