Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first fish caught fly fishing  (Read 4773 times)

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
My first fish caught fly fishing
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:48:02 AM »

Recentely, I went to China to visit my family and decided to bring my unused fly gear along with me. My uncle brought me to a spring fed pond stocked with tilapia and carp (common, grass, and silver).
     The first fly that I chose that day was a fly that imitated an earthworm, which I put under an indicator. I managed to cast the fly just to the middle of the pond and then I twitched it. The indicator bobbed a few times, and then it sank right before my eyes. I set the hook immediately and there was a huge grass carp on the end of the line, but before I could release any line, the fish jumped and slammed it's head on the water, snapping my tippet.
      Since that fly was the only earthworm fly that I brought, and the fish didn't take any other flies, I could only fish with some corn on a plain hook under an indicator. I cast it to the same spot I lost the grass carp. The indicator bobbed a few times, and was pulled down slightly and it stayed there for a split second, telling me that a tilapia was biting. I set the hook, feeling that the fish wasn't as big as the grass carp, so I pulled it in with ease. I netted the fish decided to keep it since my family loves eating tilapia. I felt proud of myself, because I had finally caught a fish with a fly rod and reel.
       I caught many more fish that day, but I only kept 3 tilapia, 1 common carp, and one grass carp.

sorry, I forgot my camera
Someone was here

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
Re: My first fish caught fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:38:22 AM »

Congratulations!!  Welcome to the fraternity!  ;D
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 07:53:42 AM »

I went to a different pont with bigger, smarter fish. Got 4 nice grass carp, kept 2. The other pond was closed because those fish that I caught and released all died. I treated them like every other catch & release anglers do. I was using a barbless hook, keeping the fish in the water when removing the hook, all fish except the fish that I kept were hooked in the lip, and the playing time for those fish was less than 5 mins. each. Mabye hot weather and/or lack of food can kill fish quickly
Someone was here

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »

It was most likely due to the high temperatures of the water, which tend to possess very low levels of oxygen. The fish simply suffocate due to their inability to pump enough oxygen to the vital organs. It'd be sort of similar to a human running a race and then trying to breathe out of a paper bag...
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Stickleback

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »

Unfortunately, you can't really call that fly fishing, you used bait.   :-\  Nothing wrong with bait fishing, its just not fly fishing.  I'm not trying to put anyone down.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:25:10 PM »

hooked one on the fly, caught on a fly rod, you were fly fishing too me, cheers, austyn :)

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »

It was most likely due to the high temperatures of the water, which tend to possess very low levels of oxygen. The fish simply suffocate due to their inability to pump enough oxygen to the vital organs. It'd be sort of similar to a human running a race and then trying to breathe out of a paper bag...
Weather was cloudy with no rain or wind. I felt like I was being steamed alive. Nothing to say to the fish...
Someone was here

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »

Unfortunately, you can't really call that fly fishing, you used bait.   :-\  Nothing wrong with bait fishing, its just not fly fishing.  I'm not trying to put anyone down.

Take a mayfly. Not a tied fly, a real mayfly. Freeze it, epoxy it, throw it on a hook. Still bait fishing? Are the guys that were dapping with flies bait fishing? Is it not fly fishing if you tie a yarn egg on? Ill admit, the guy was bait fishing no doubt. But he wasnt gear fishing. Maybe, Faux Fly Fishing? Fly baiting.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

crazypop

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »

Way to go!
Gotta learn that one of these days!
(flyfishing that is)

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 10:54:59 PM »

Take a mayfly. Not a tied fly, a real mayfly. Freeze it, epoxy it, throw it on a hook. Still bait fishing?

Yes.

“Bait” is any foodstuff or natural substance
used to attract fish, other than wood,
cotton, wool, hair, fur or feathers. [Fishing Synopsis 2011-2013, p.4]

Also,

When fishing
at a lake, you may not possess or use
for bait any freshwater invertebrates;
this includes the aquatic stage of any
insect, such as dragonfly nymphs or
caddisfly larvae.

Just sayin'...
A rig out of water catches no fish.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 11:47:09 PM »

Yes.

“Bait” is any foodstuff or natural substance
used to attract fish, other than wood,
cotton, wool, hair, fur or feathers. [Fishing Synopsis 2011-2013, p.4]

Also,

When fishing
at a lake, you may not possess or use
caddisfly larvae.

Just sayin'...

Was there a point to this? Obviously its bait. But its a fly. What is the line between "Fly fishing" and not. (And not what the regs say, since our conversation is NOT even about BC, but fishing and fly fishing on a world scale and in general. Since the instance happened in CHINA)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:49:35 PM by DanJohn »
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 07:58:34 AM »

When fishing at a lake, you may not possess or use
caddisfly larvae.

Just sayin'...
"Aquatic stage" adult mayflies aren't aquatic, they fly in the air.

And, I am in China right now, and no one cares about how you fish in china outside of tournaments and a few very urban ponds.
Someone was here

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 03:45:01 AM »

I caught a catfish on a chironomid larva fly. Too bad Chinese catfish have teeth. Messed up my fly.
Someone was here