Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More DFO Insanity  (Read 18230 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: More DFO Insanity
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2013, 06:34:37 PM »

Lol just more internet insanity. Enjoy the Alaskan feedlot salmon while it is fresh. :)

Spoken like a true netpenner.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2013, 07:40:55 PM »

--doesn't matter how much money is avaialbe if there are no DFO staff to review and approve projects. I suspect this is in part an issue in this case as they already have an approved project well on the way which I presume they have dedicated staff time to... some want this project to go ahead but local DFO staff may have been directed to do other work. Not saying that if they had the time they would approve this project or not.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2013, 08:50:40 PM »

Here is a great video about our salmon situation..it is long but well worth watching:

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-norway-is-killing-your-sushi/

Here is a great report (pricey, but good) about our current knowledge about Fraser Sockeye - possible causes of its decline, its current state, and recommendations for improving future sustainability.  It is long but well worth reading....and understanding:

http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/FinalReport/

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2013, 10:37:15 AM »

Here's a press release just sent out by Carol Schmitt from Omega Pacific:

For Circulation – Update June 24, 2013
Due to much interest and response on this topic.
For additional information - carolgcl@xplornet.com

Donation of 65,000 Robertson Creek Stock Chinook Smolts to
Port Alberni Community for Release and Future Fishing Opportunities

Chinook Stock and Rearing Information
October, 2011, Omega Pacific Hatchery received a permit to acquire Chinook Eggs and Milt from Robertson Creek Hatchery. The adult Brood stock was randomly selected by DFO Staff at their brailer site. Omega Pacific staff then spawned the eggs and milt into zip lock bags, and transported these back to Omega Hatchery for incubation and rearing. Adult Females were disease screened for Bacteriology and Virology. Females numbered. # 818 to 848, spawned October 21, 2011, were fertilized with 30 Robertson males. This group is being donated to the community for release.

Omega Pacific Hatchery is located 15 km upstream from Robertson Creek, on Great Central Lake. Water source is cool fish free creek and well water, single flow through rearing pools, discharged by exfiltration into man made ponds. Since 1988 we have grown millions of high quality Chinook smolts.

Chinook smolts were ponded for first feed in June 2012 and reared in circular fiber glass pools until June 2013. Their current size is 10 to 16 grams. On May 16, 2013 sixty smolts were submitted to the Center for Aquatic Health Sciences for routine Health check. Report received June 7th, fish have a clean bill of health, free of any bacterial and viral pathogens. On May 16th Omega Hatchery submitted an Introductions and Transplant Committee Application (ITC) for release by June 30th, 2013, pending approval.

Committee Proposal to DFO for Release
Our community has a “Barkley Wild Salmon Working Group (BWSWG) made up of First Nations, Governments, Enhancement facilities and Residents to address topics of concern for the betterment of our salmon resource and ensure fishing opportunities.
Sub-committees under the BWSWG take on topics as projects.
• May 21, 2013 the Chinook Projects (S1) subcommittee submitted a proposal to DFO, Mel Sheng, to release the 65K donated chin. He replied he’d get back to us.
• May, 2013 the Alberni Clayoquot Regional District and City of Port Alberni designated a member to participate in the upcoming meeting with DFO.
• June 7th, BWSWG general meeting of all participants, Mel Sheng phoned in and said he just received the proposal, DFO has a process and the ITC and DFO’s Andy Thomson, and March Klaver would be handling the proposal..
• Committee response was- he had been informed in discussions at least two months previous and three weeks ago been sent the proposal. Although there is a process within DFO, there is also the ability to make a decision on this in a timely fashion.
• June18th, Andy Thomson updated us that Mel was overseeing this proposal.
• June 20th, James Lunney called from Ottawa having seen the media coverage. He called Andy Thomson who informed him the experts within the department were currently reviewing the proposal.
Proposal Submission Includes: Intro Letter, Proposal, Omega Summary, Documentation of S1 Prevalence in WCVI Streams, Disease Screening Results, ITC Application.

Robertson Chinook Smolt Release Locations
Robertson Creek Hatchery annually releases 6.5 million chinook S0 smolts (3 month freshwater rearing) and in past released several groups of S1 smolts (12 months freshwater rearing). Omega Pacific currently has S1 smolts. Chinook S0 and S1 are documented to occur in WCVI streams (Technical Fisheries Report 1482).

Robertson Creek Smolts have been released at several locations throughout the water shed from Great Central Lake, into Sprout River as well as many locations in the Alberni Inlet. This stock has also been released in Clemens Creek, head waters to Henderson Lake. The Chinook Projects (S1) Subcommittee has suggested Great Central Lake, having been a past release site by Omega Pacific in 1996 for Bob Wright’s Quick Start Chinook program, as well as Arden Creek, currently identified by DFO as a future net pen rearing and release location for Robertson stock. ITC requested a site for the permit so we entered Arden Creek. We have asked DFO their suggested site; however have not yet had a response.

Robertson Creek chinook releases are classified as “an enhanced stock”, the objective to provide fishing opportunities. The 2013 preliminary forecast of Chinook returns for this stock is 16,600 adults. (record low). The river requires 28,000 adult returns before any fishing opportunities are allowed. This year there will be no chinook fishery and the Salmon Festival Society annual Salmon Derby will be for Coho salmon. The loss of fishing opportunities is very costly and directly impacts everyone in our community.

With all things considered, there is no reason for the 65,000 Chinook smolts to not be given the go ahead for release. Omega Pacific staff and especially the beautiful school of chinook smolts hope this ends on a positive note, and the fish are able to swim as family school up to Alaska and back home in 2016 to 2018!

And STILL in "Hover Mode"...

Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2013, 11:50:12 AM »

Good News arrived today. The release of these smolts was (FINALLY!) Approved late yesterday!  ;D
Hoping to be able to run back to Port to lend a hand with their release at the Arden Creek site next week...

Cheers,
Nog

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2013, 09:12:23 PM »

Good News arrived today. The release of these smolts was (FINALLY!) Approved late yesterday!  ;D
Hoping to be able to run back to Port to lend a hand with their release at the Arden Creek site next week...

Cheers,
Nog
Well done Matt in bringing the awareness out, it certainly helps get the job done.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2013, 12:24:25 AM »

Both I and the many concerned Folks here may be in error in these perceptions. The Department might yet actually do something along the lines of a review, and we may yet see some science based decisions as to whether the project should proceed or not. Again, given past (and current) performance, I am not holding my breath. That said, I will gladly eat my words and offer up a most sincere apology were that to be forthcoming...
One Can Hope...

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2013, 09:31:04 AM »

LOL! In this case I actually don't mind eating my words Steve! Chomp Chomp!  ;D
Seems public pressure can at times make a difference! SWEET!

The Update: http://www.cheknews.ca/?bckey=AQ~~,AAAA4mHNTzE~,ejlzBnGUUKY1gXVPwEwEepl35Y795rND&bclid=975107450001&bctid=2540766527001

Cheers,
Nog

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »

LOL! In this case I actually don't mind eating my words Steve! Chomp Chomp!  ;D
Seems public pressure can at times make a difference! SWEET!

The Update: http://www.cheknews.ca/?bckey=AQ~~,AAAA4mHNTzE~,ejlzBnGUUKY1gXVPwEwEepl35Y795rND&bclid=975107450001&bctid=2540766527001

Cheers,
Nog
Saw the coveage on the 2 Victoria TV stations, well done by all that helped get this done.