Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 12 ft aluminum boat and 9.9 hp in the Fraser?  (Read 6123 times)

Humpy

12 ft aluminum boat and 9.9 hp in the Fraser?
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:56:59 AM »

Looking for advice from people that have done this, I have done it before and know of many people that do it.
I have a 12 ft aluminum boat and 9.9 hp motor, I have taken it out around the Agassiz area without any trouble.
Thinking about taking it around the Chilliwack area, how does that area compare? I know Gill road is a good area to launch and there isn't too much current, or even island 22. There are some islands around that I would like to get to. What to look out for? What to take with me, other then the obvious, life jackets, spare prop? And if somebody knows of a boat accessible spot, I would appreciate it. I'm fairly new to river boating. Thanks.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: 12 ft aluminum boat and 9.9 hp in the Fraser?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »

I used to run a 12' tinny with an 8hp 4-stroke and 500#'s of man beef up river to Grassy. Effective but not fast. I wouldn't dare run up Pegleg in mid to late August - it would be too swift. You might make it thru then but too slow making it too dangerous from idiots bombing 4oz betties at you.

I currently run a 1440 jon with an old 9.9 2-stroke from Island 22 to Grassy bar and back. It works for me and I've seen several others in 12' tinnies.

What you have used to be the standard - the biggest thing you have to worry about are the bigger boats that pass by you far too close and their wake hits you before you have time to react accordingly.

What to take - well if you are operating a power vessel you will have your pleasure craft operators card. Since you have your card and passed your exam you already know what the minimum safety equipment is required. Spare prop??? - take it and the tools you think you need if it makes you feel better. A depth sounder and experience on the river is what you need. Pay attention to the water and the depth to learn what shallow water starts to look like. I believe real oars, not paddles are far more practical than a spare prop.

As you are learning to navigate the river and your gaining experience with the capabilities of your boat, commit to starting your trip by going up river. That way if your motor gives up or your destroy the prop, you can always drift down and use your oars to get back to the launch. Take something that can make a suitable tow rope in the event you need to hitch a ride. It happens and most bigger boat operators will give you a tow in the event you need it.

Regarding the prop - if you run one in the Fraser it only a matter of time until you rattle the bottom. Most of the time the damage is so minimal you don't even worry about it. Sometimes you might need to lightly dress your prop with a file. Eventually the prop needs repair or replacement. Try follow other smaller boat paths in the beginning and keep making mental notes of where you see prop boats traveling. In time your fear will turn to caution. Respect your and your boat's abilities.

Don't stay out until dark and don't launch until it is light outside.

lovetofish

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 07:56:11 PM »

Very good advice Reiber.

Also if your boat has a deeper V, it should be more stable when hit with wakes from the big jet boats.  Our little 12 was kind of scary 10 years ago, as it has a shallow hull. I would not think of using it in now with all the jet boats on the water.

mcallagan

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 11:57:40 AM »

Thanks as well, I'm trying to soak up this sort of information as well.

I have a 12' tinny but got a 15HP on it

Humpy

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »

Thanks for the info, I think I will sell my 12 ft and upgrade to a bigger boat that would provide more safety and more room.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

TNAngler

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »

Very good advice Reiber.

Also if your boat has a deeper V, it should be more stable when hit with wakes from the big jet boats.  Our little 12 was kind of scary 10 years ago, as it has a shallow hull. I would not think of using it in now with all the jet boats on the water.

Depending where you go, don't forget about the tug boats, especially the one going from the Harrison downstream with the big group of logs.  That thing can put out quite a wake and if you happen to be out running or worse fighting a Chinook when it passes, stability is something you wish you had.

JustinG

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 02:39:58 PM »

Spare Prop 100%. This may be stating the obvious but just in case,  do not anchor until you are familiar with the section of river you are in.

I have a 14ft Lund with a 25 horse and have used it to launch from Island 22 to Grassy Bar and back. Have not used it in a number of years though so I have no idea what that stretch of river is like now.