Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tragedy on the Cap  (Read 8273 times)

speycaster

Re: tragedy on the Cap
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 09:05:36 PM »

Why should we stop people from doing stupid things?  There is a thing called personal responsibility, you do some thing dumb and you die it is no ones fault but your own. Have done lots of things that could have killed me, it was a decision that i made at the time and i had to over come the results of that decision.

ion

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 09:45:52 PM »

i mentioned rodney article "Capilano coho techniques" and there is a picture of the place;there are 3 fishermans in the picture;
the place is heavily fished; when we cast a coin, over and over, after a while it will show up head for sure; the same thing with the fishermans, there will be accidents for sure;

drock31

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 10:44:34 PM »

That is really sad. Hopefully this serves as a reminder to us all to always be careful

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 10:54:40 PM »

Sad to hear another fatality among the fishermen brothers. That Cable Pool rocks should be ringed with some railings at the edge of those slippery rocks or just close them off. They are nothing but traps for inexperienced fishermen. Too many deaths all these years. The one I recalled vividly happened many years ago on July 1st, Canada Day. The river was in flood and coho were plentiful so fishermen were taking chances and one poor soul slipped off the same slippery rock into a raging river while trying to land his fish. This time, the river is low and still it claims another victim. What a waste of human lives and what tragedy to those grieving families. The park people should do something to prevent accident there or just close off those rocks.

oni_kage

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 03:28:34 AM »

I truly feel for the family and friends of the victim, but at least he died doing a hobby he probably loved.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 07:39:02 AM »

Very sad. At least he went doing something he liked. I agree with the guys who don't want the area closed off. Just because less than .2 % off people have died fishing the area, we do not need a closure. We can not keep protecting the human race in this manner. I've seen to many laws passed or closures for things that I would consider common sense. Take responsability for your own life not someone elses.

bcsixgill

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 07:53:56 AM »

I agree that people need to take some responsibility for their actions.  Due to its location, the Cap gets lots of angling action.  But its not the only river or creek on the North Shore that has had fatalities.  Lynn Canyon gets lots of emergency calls every year.  Even if it gets closed off, people will still climb fences and do what ever to get to the fishing grounds. 

I would rather see a railing on the rocks (though difficult to install) and more signage than closing off the area.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 08:14:42 AM »

This is from the news were the guy fell from. Dogleg pool downstream is even more dangerous.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 09:22:24 AM »

If you happen to fall in the river, how rough is the flow of water? The picture doesnt seem to swift. Maybe they can set up a harness fall protection to the trees/ rock in the area. All the fisherman would have to do is bring his own harness, and clip onto one of the the ropes, and that itself would be enough to prevent a couple more deaths.
The Bigger The Better!

janders

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 10:32:18 AM »

another reason why i spent the money on a vest with an inflatable life vest in it. I hope i never have to use it

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »

If you happen to fall in the river, how rough is the flow of water? The picture doesnt seem to swift. Maybe they can set up a harness fall protection to the trees/ rock in the area. All the fisherman would have to do is bring his own harness, and clip onto one of the the ropes, and that itself would be enough to prevent a couple more deaths.
The reason that wouldn't work is liability-the organisation who put the ropes up-the Government-would then be liable for whatever happened, in the end people have to be responsible for themselves not have someone watching out for their every misstep.

It's usually a lot faster is always cold and as mentioned upthread the guy might have been injured in the fall, broken rib or arm, wrenched shoulder, heart seizure you never know.

emacf

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 12:31:55 PM »

The water on the day in question was as low as it gets.  I took my wife and 2 year old to the hatchery the day before and took a walk down to cable pool.  There was some people fishing on the cliff over looking cable pool and my wife commented that that looked very dangerous.

Even though the water is not particularly swift i have swam in there in the summer and it is very cold and produces quite a shock to the body when it hits you.

Really sad indeed that someone passed away.  It does happen every year, usually during high water.

jon5hill

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 12:35:20 PM »

The area around cable pool is absolutely dangerous. I see people standing within inches of falling to death or serious injury. Rain or shine too. It really is foolish to fish up there because if you hook into anything it would be nearly impossible to land it without losing it on the way up.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 03:08:41 PM »

JBJ....I know the guy you saved!  We bug him about it and believe me, he won't ever try something like that again.

I was kinda peeved off, that I risked my life to help that guy, that endangered his life and mine.....I would do it again.

but I did get a" thanks man" the next time I saw him.....that made it all worth it.... ::)

Capilano Mano

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »

4 inch by 4 inch thick stainless plates have been bolted onto the various heavily fished areas of cable to attach rope to for good reason. If your going to fish there grab some rope and attach yourself to it. There are a few by the lookout at the tail of the pool and there are more on the rocks up from it.