Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: serpentine river trout fishing  (Read 10761 times)

koifish

serpentine river trout fishing
« on: November 15, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »

i dont remember asking this before so ya
i live near the serpentine river i wanna go out trout fishing. ive been there 3-4 times no luck
its on the right side of 88th theres a gate there itss open  . i want to go and try for trout i will be using micky finn would that be a good choice? should i use floating line or sinking? any of you guys fished there before? thanks

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: serpentine river trout fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 08:34:17 AM »

Not for like 30 years or more and it's been channelized best I can remember and very narrow there. I'd suggest something like a wooly bugger or a bunny leech in either a dark (black or olive) or a tan or similar light colour. The water will be cold so fish it slow and deep.
The Serp always looks like a muddy mess these days so I don't fish it but post your email and I can make a suggestion or 2.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

koifish

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:10:30 AM »

Hey Ralph my email is joshuawwe1234@hotmail.com

Old Blue

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 11:37:01 AM »

i dont remember asking this before so ya
i live near the serpentine river i wanna go out trout fishing. ive been there 3-4 times no luck
its on the right side of 88th theres a gate there itss open  . i want to go and try for trout i will be using micky finn would that be a good choice? should i use floating line or sinking? any of you guys fished there before? thanks

Go out and try different combos, mix it up and see what works best for YOU.  People need to stop asking for which line, fly/lure, river, location/exact rock/tree to fish by.  Get out and explore and you'll be rewarded eventually.  Some of my favorite days have been just getting out on an adventure and scouting out new territory and having no expectations except to try something new.  I've been skunked before but I've also found little gems this way but the point is I spent the time and leg work.  So koifish rather than you constantly asking so many specific questions regarding exact rivers and setups go grab your rod and a map and get out there.

bfasse

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 09:13:57 PM »

You said "right side of 88th." I could be wrong but i believe that location is Closed to Fishing. Best to double check the regs

koifish

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 10:28:39 PM »

my adress could be wrong but i read tje regs and it said closed all year above bothwell park i checked from where i am fishing and bothwell park and the river where i am fishing is  not above bothwell park so it is open to fishing i checked on google maps

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 06:31:08 AM »

my adress could be wrong but i read tje regs and it said closed all year above bothwell park i checked from where i am fishing and bothwell park and the river where i am fishing is  not above bothwell park so it is open to fishing i checked on google maps

Yes, you should be fine there as long as you are not fishing at night.  But what exactly is the "right" side of 88th?  Is there a wrong side? Use compass points in the future, as your "right" changes as you turn but the North side of 88th is the same no matter which direction you face.
Not all those who wander are lost

koifish

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 01:00:45 PM »

I didn't mean right as correct I meant right has right hand side

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »

Sorry, that was a joke...forgot the emoticon  ;D.  I know you meant the right hand side, but as I pointed out, that changes depending on whether you are facing East or West on 88th.  "North" side or "South" side is clearer as to which side of the road you plan on fishing.  As it is open on either side of 88th, you should be fine either way (although I am not sure of private property access there), so this is for future reference.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 02:16:42 PM »

You're not getting what Sandman is trying to tell you. Your right is relative to the direction you are facing. You need to use compass points instead (East, West, North, South).

koifish

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »

ya sorry lol

from my house all i do is just go straight and when i see the gate turn right
lol next time i will use a compass

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 03:06:15 PM »

ya sorry lol

from my house all i do is just go straight and when i see the gate turn right
lol next time i will use a compass

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him fish. ::)

koifish

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »

just a question why does the river open 9am-4pm and you can only fish aug1st to dec31? at thee serpentine?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 07:25:59 AM »

the time restriction which I believe is 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after applies only to salmon fishing. Otherwise the only closure on the river is April 1st to June 30th.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 09:04:05 PM »

just a question why does the river open 9am-4pm and you can only fish aug1st to dec31? at thee serpentine?

Actually the time restriction is no fishing between 9pm to 5 am specifically and it is only from Aug 1 to December 31 (during salmon season as Ralph said ).  The only other time it is closed is the spring closure between April 1 and June 30.