Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How busy / crazy are the boat launches in and around Vancouver?  (Read 7538 times)

canuckjgc

How busy / crazy are the boat launches in and around Vancouver?
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:26:02 AM »

Hi all,

I've been doing ok with my 18' motorized canoe.  I never need a boat launch, just put in wherever there is a bit of beach.  I'm thinking of getting a 15ft inflatable with a 25hp that will live on a trailer.

My question: how busy or crazy are the boat launches in Vancouver?  I'm thinking Cates Park, MacDonald Beach, Port Mann launch, Pitt Lake, etc.

I don't want to give up the canoe to find I'm waiting a long time at boat launches or can't find parking.

Any info appreciated.

fishgutz63

Re: How busy / crazy are the boat launches in and around Vancouver?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 10:50:20 AM »

hey nucks fan,with the boat launchs it depends on what time of the season and day of the week ,i know that cates park   and rocky pointe aint that buzy now but dont forget to pay for parking also stay away from port mann lots of bridge construction water crafts using this boat launch. cheers 8)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:52:05 AM by fishgutz63 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 10:52:12 AM »

I've rarely seen boats launching at the MacDonald Beach launch during this time of the year.

canuckjgc

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »

Thanks - what about when the weather warms up? May through September.....

WestEast

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 11:05:30 AM »

All depends on time, day and weather. I keep away from the perfect convergence, so, a wait of 3-4 launches is normal at the public LML launches, otherwise its way more. Same coming back in. You'll meet lots of impatient, entitled boaters too. If you are early or late, parking may be close by, otherwise assume a long walk. So, I keep a kayak, pontoon and belly as alternate water vehicles. Didn't even launch my trailered Lund this year - but then, I kept to the lakes.

canuckjgc

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 11:08:04 AM »

Interesting.  With 2 little kids, waiting to launch and waiting to load and a long walk would be a bummer.

Anyone else have any opinions?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »

Most of the LM boat launch ramps are busy during early day and late afternoon.  Any time in between it's not bad.  Parking is another story though.  You can avoid ramp rush hour by arriving later but that translates to parking further and requiring long walk.

When I go out alone with my little kids in the summer.  I would normally arrive at ramp about 10am launch the boat tie it up at the dock then go park (with my kid with me through out the entire time).  I'll get her to help out so she feels important and not left out (load food onto boat, swing buoy over railing....)  This compares to having another adult would take a good 25min longer to launch but with little kids along fishing isn't the priority.  On the return trip,  I would arrive back at dock around 4:30pm before pull out 'rush hour'.

Robbie

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 11:13:55 AM »

I would say the longest waits you'll experience to launch are about a half hour.  Just remember to use the ramp properly to help speed the process up.  This means load your boat in advance, make sure your motor is operating properly, have your boat unstrapped(keep the safety chain on until last moment), drain plug in/fuel line connected.  Try to use the least amount of ramp space necessary to make a safe launch.  If everybody practiced this we'd see significantly reduced wait times at the ramp. All that aside though, get out there and enjoy the water ;D ;D

canuckjgc

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »

Thanks, very helpful.  Half hour is not bad.  I'll practise backing up  :D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 02:10:22 PM »

McDonald Beach Launch would be a good place if your wanting to go out salt fishing.
Mind ya check wind conditions as a moderate wind can kick up nasty waves at the mouth & out in the Straight of Georgia. If your going in the river or salt sujj low winds & days with a long high tide.  Check out the tide table & marine weather report. Wear your life-jacket. (all times)
As ya will be launching a 15ft inflatable ya can use the northside launch ramp...(if it's mid tide or better)
99% of boaters launching use the south side lanes from from the dock....reason being there is a longer paved submerged lane.
Also if ya come back in one hr before sunset in the summer ya normally miss the crowd of boaters...amazing how fishermen/ladies will fish to the last avaible time before coming back to the launch(ha)  Then there's a big line up of boats wanting to exit...at the same time.
But like I say with your boat ya can use the north lane from the dock & hardly anyone uses that lane.

But McDonald Beach has a good flow to it...Must of launched from there at least 20 or more times & max 10 min. wait.
 But we launched noon or past. (also another launch south end of #2 Rd in Richmond ...free one if ya turn to the left "high tide launch just around the s turns...very close after turning to the left at stop sign... If ya turn to the R & then straight in...good launch but $10 & sometimes hard to park.  
Free launches near Captain Cove...east of the pub...other freebie launches in the Ladner area as well.

One chap told me that in the "old days" there were times the boat line up to launch was right out to the gate !!!! (where the road is along the airport ...where one makes a right turn to McDonald Beach...Those days must of been INSANE)

If ya launch from McDonald ...it is aprox 15-20 min to the salt .
Keep a sharp eye out for debris in the water, deadhead small & big logs...other tugs that can kick up big swells...

Boat on the main river or N Fraser & go out to the salt there will be days where ya had a very safe day & other times things can aget your heart a beating.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:06:17 PM by arimaBOATER »