Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: may i please enter seabird island  (Read 7580 times)

valleydude

may i please enter seabird island
« on: September 18, 2010, 08:17:41 PM »

had a FN (mohawk and all ) tell me i had to ask his permission to fish on the fraser river,he was taking plate #'s at the entrance,asked what was up,guess he didnt like my shitty attitude,told me  RCMP told him it was ok to do this,asked him to call RCMP and have them tell me i couldnt fish somewhere i had been fishing all year,made a phone call but no one was available,guess they were busy dealing with other white  TAX PAYING guys abusing indian land,makes one wonder if its worth all the my smelly socks

valleydude

Re: may i please enter seabird island
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 09:35:52 PM »

your right,i have a issue with being treated like a piece of cupcakes for someone elses poor treatment of FN,i guess it would be ok to ask a person of FN decent to ask permission to walk on my street according to your thinking,now who is ignorant and racist

valleydude

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 10:13:59 PM »

i had never had to ask before,if it was such a big problem,maybe there should be a gate so i can just slide a token in the slot and be done with all the bs,funny how this only became a issue on the last weekend of sockeye opening,must be time to pay the gatekeeper again,and again and again,

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 10:18:35 PM »

just follow my approach
throw your arms up
relax
walk away
and let it go

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 10:23:36 PM »

I have done the same as FisherForever. Only been turned away from reserve land once so far and it was on a place that i had fished even the weekend prior. I will normally go up to any landowners property i would like to cross to get somewhere, the worst you can get is a NO which means to forget about that spot or find another way around  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

valleydude

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »

if i had know this was a issue i would of found somewhere to fish,i find it hard to believe every person at seabird asked permission,i suspect most people have no idea that you need permission,when i see someone taking down plate #'s and ask what is going on,i don cons ider that a act of defiance,i feel some FN are looking to make things conforntational as a means of pitting themselves against the white man,im sorry but that bs is getting old

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 10:40:34 PM »

That breeze of positivity on a Saturday night is simply too overwhelming.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 10:49:53 PM »

For years I launched my boat on Cheam property upstream of the Agassiz bridge. How I got to do that is I asked permission of one of the elders. There were several times during those years that I was challenged as to why I was launching my boat there and when I gave the name of the elder that had given me the permission I had no problems.

I agree with some of the comments here. (other than the suggestion that you are being racist)  You did not ask permission to be on their land, so you were trespassing and when you were confronted you gave the FN member attitude. Try doing it right the next time and you'll have no problems. 
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

gman

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 11:20:14 PM »

I don't blame the natives for being unhappy with the situation at Seabird. There is lots of traffic and garbage left by the fishermen on the reserve property. A reserve is private property. If it was owned by anyone else it would have been closed off long ago.

BBarley

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 11:45:53 PM »

The countdown to civilized boards is on.....

Get the circus off the river for another 4 years.

valleydude

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 07:18:55 AM »

i am sorry i vented on this site,i obviously didnt know i had to ask permission          PS  when i said my shitty attitude,i was referring to the attitude i received when i asked why he was taking down #s , like i had no right to question his authority,at least i will know where to send check for ticket when i receive it

BBarley

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 07:54:28 AM »

Venting is a perfectly normal thing for a board like this one. Do so in an educated manner. If you saw a nice piece of riverfront across some dairy farmers field, would you cross it?

As others have said, although you may not always be approached, treat Indian Reservations the same as private property. If approached, be polite, acknowledge their concerns, and more often than not you will be rewarded with access.

I highly doubt you would get a ticket if you didn't do anything wrong. If you do get a ticket, it's your right as a Canadian citizen to appeal it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:56:04 AM by BBarley »

azafai

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:55:47 AM »

your right,i have a issue with being treated like a piece of **** for someone elses poor treatment of FN,i guess it would be ok to ask a person of FN decent to ask permission to walk on my street according to your thinking,now who is ignorant and racist

that post is both ignorant and racist
you can't solve problems this way

valleydude

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 10:45:53 AM »

considering i grew up in2 different towns with large FN populations,have many FN friends and family,i think i have a pretty good idea of what is acceptable and what is outright abuse of power,i think if anybody that had been put in the position i was yesterday would have been in their power to question what the FN position was,and treat ing me with the same respect they would hope to be treated with,not just turning things confrontational because it is in their power to do so,i have seen both sides,so i am very aware of it when it happens. SORRY IF I OFTENED ANYONE<THAT WAS NOT WHY I POSTED

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 07:02:20 PM »

that post is both ignorant and racist
you can't solve problems this way
Quite an ignorant and racist post since most of Seabird Is. is First Nations land.

Nothing he ever said was racist. Would suggest you familiarize yourself with the meaning of that particular hot button word before you throw it out there.