Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: advice regarding Achilles LSI 290E  (Read 3762 times)

AJTorres9589

advice regarding Achilles LSI 290E
« on: March 17, 2021, 11:40:09 PM »

Hello all,

I’ve recently purchased an Achilles tender and want to kit it out. The general use will be for taking on extended camping/fishing trips. Also trips to the local lakes. Needs to be equipped for Trolling and anchoring. Seeking advice in a couple places:

- would a 4.5HP engine be what I’m looking for?
- what kind of anchoring system would I be looking for?
- what fish finder would be recommended for this boat?
- worth it to get the wooden floor? Necessary?
- anything to consider with the trolling motor? I’m inclined to get a minn Kota
- do any of you guys use an electric air pump? Can’t find much online about them...
- any tricks or tips about using/operating/pumping/general would be greatly appreciated

Sorry I know it’s a real bombardment haha. Very excited and a lot running through my head.

Thanks so much!

JustPuttsin

Re: advice regarding Achilles LSI 290E
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 07:57:57 AM »

I had a similar inflatable for fishing. If you're going to load it up i would get biggest motor you can which i believe is 8hp for that boat. I trolled lake's with a Minn  Kota 40 maximizer which worked very well for me. As for anchoring i just used carry handles as a tie off point. I would maybe put a light rubber floor matt in to protect your floor. Biggest thing is don't overinflate your boat and use a good cleaner like aerospace 303.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 09:01:41 AM by JustPuttsin »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 09:29:33 AM »

I had a similar inflatable for fishing. If you're going to load it up i would get biggest motor you can which i believe is 8hp for that boat. I trolled lake's with a Minn  Kota 40 maximizer which worked very well for me. As for anchoring i just used carry handles as a tie off point. I would maybe put a light rubber floor matt in to protect your floor. Biggest thing is don't overinflate your boat and use a good cleaner like aerospace 303.

great advice! Any portable type fish finder should do unless you are trolling for salmon in tidewater;

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/fish-finders/piranhamax/piranhamax-4-pt

For anchoring some people strap down a small home made wooden bow plate to attach an anchor lock. You should be able to screw a roller lock to the transom.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 09:31:56 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 10:14:21 AM »

Welcome to the Achilles army.
I used to have a 2.5hp engine which went fast enough but now I just use my Minn Kota electric (with Maximizer).
I use this for the front and it works awesome. Other options are the glue on Scotty mount or to build a plywood platform that ties into the D rings.
I have the glue on Scotty on my 8 foot frameless pontoon and it holds fine but I don't know that I'd trust it on a bigger boat.

I use a Humminbird tri-beam unit but these are discontinued. Humminbird or Garmin Stryker are more or less equivalent.
I prefer my air floor with gym floor foam covered in carpeting. You need a high pressure pump like this to make the air floor usable. One port is high volume, the other is high pressure and will reach the required 9psi.

I use a cheap C-Tire high volume, low pressure air pump to start but it only reaches maybe 1 psi.

AJTorres9589

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 05:00:15 PM »

Thanks for all the advice! Really helps a lot.

Hey typhoon,
Is that mount plate fixed? Or do you take it on and off for inflation/deflation? Where did you get it?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 05:23:49 PM »

Thanks for all the advice! Really helps a lot.

Hey typhoon,
Is that mount plate fixed? Or do you take it on and off for inflation/deflation? Where did you get it?
It is a removable aluminum plate with 3 pads glued to the boat. The pads look like this, and they have embedded nuts:

https://www.weaverindustries.com/index.cfm/product/94/rubber-pad-for-stand-off-brackets.htm
I remove the bolts and plate before deflating. It can be installed before or after inflation.

I can't find the kit online (plates+3 pads) but the pads look like they are available so you could build your own plate.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 07:41:51 PM »

I am on my second inflatable and can also help.

- I would get the biggest motor you can afford and the boat can take.
-find a way to anchor.  The wind is one of your biggest enemies with inflatables. You get blown around.
-I don't thing you need a special fish finder
-I have always used a inflatable roll up model.  Its great because the boat folds up and you can get into harder 4x4 lakes.
-minkota maximizer for a trolling motor
- for a pump.  I was about to spend 200 on amazon for a good one but bought this and it works great https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/woods-blast-hv-marine-air-pump-0762929p.html#srp

Have fun and take care of it.  I was just out this week with mine and its alot of fun.

Hello all,

I’ve recently purchased an Achilles tender and want to kit it out. The general use will be for taking on extended camping/fishing trips. Also trips to the local lakes. Needs to be equipped for Trolling and anchoring. Seeking advice in a couple places:

- would a 4.5HP engine be what I’m looking for?
- what kind of anchoring system would I be looking for?
- what fish finder would be recommended for this boat?
- worth it to get the wooden floor? Necessary?
- anything to consider with the trolling motor? I’m inclined to get a minn Kota
- do any of you guys use an electric air pump? Can’t find much online about them...
- any tricks or tips about using/operating/pumping/general would be greatly appreciated

Sorry I know it’s a real bombardment haha. Very excited and a lot running through my head.

Thanks so much!
see ya on the river

sbc hris

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 11:26:22 AM »

I think I have the exact same boat. Motor size is dependent on what water you want to run, and how much floor space you want to sacrifice (anything over 6 hp will need an external fuel tank). I've ran a 7.5 hp and 2.5 hp motor on mine. The 7.5 was good for running the lower Fraser and bigger lakes, but was a bit much for the inflatable floor boat. And the fuel tank took up too much floor space. I'm very happy with the 2.5 hp motor for most of my fly-fishing on small to medium sized lakes. The minn kota electric works fine for small lakes too, you just wont get anywhere in a real hurry. If you want to troll with your gas outboard, get a small one. As a general rule, The smaller it is, the slower you can troll.
I have a dual anchor setup, the rear mount is drilled through the transom, the front mount was glued onto the bow by professionals (Polaris inflatables i believe). For a fishfinder, I just run the standard clamp on humminbird 110, and clamp it to the transom. If you lay it out right, you can attach a fishfinder, outboard, and scotty mount (for the  anchor roller) to the transom.
I ditched the factory seats, and I use milk crates with homemade seatpad lids instead. It frees up valuable floor space, (you can store lots in them) and when fishing you can just push them out of the way. They also double as storage for my anchors, ropes, and rod holders during transport.
I did make a plywood floor to go over the air floor, and it works well if you plan on doing much standing in the boat. It makes a huge difference in stability.
Another thing I did was take the rubber oar keepers off of my old inflatable boat, and glue them to the top of the pontoon toward the back of the boat. They function as my net holder and keep it nicely out of the way.
If you want to attempt to glue things to the boat by yourself,  gorilla glue seems to work well so long as you do it neatly and carefully. I'll try to find a picture of my boat all set up...

sbc hris

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 11:57:15 AM »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 02:15:08 PM »

I think I have the exact same boat. Motor size is dependent on what water you want to run, and how much floor space you want to sacrifice (anything over 6 hp will need an external fuel tank). I've ran a 7.5 hp and 2.5 hp motor on mine. The 7.5 was good for running the lower Fraser and bigger lakes, but was a bit much for the inflatable floor boat. And the fuel tank took up too much floor space. I'm very happy with the 2.5 hp motor for most of my fly-fishing on small to medium sized lakes. The minn kota electric works fine for small lakes too, you just wont get anywhere in a real hurry. If you want to troll with your gas outboard, get a small one. As a general rule, The smaller it is, the slower you can troll.
I have a dual anchor setup, the rear mount is drilled through the transom, the front mount was glued onto the bow by professionals (Polaris inflatables i believe). For a fishfinder, I just run the standard clamp on humminbird 110, and clamp it to the transom. If you lay it out right, you can attach a fishfinder, outboard, and scotty mount (for the  anchor roller) to the transom.
I ditched the factory seats, and I use milk crates with homemade seatpad lids instead. It frees up valuable floor space, (you can store lots in them) and when fishing you can just push them out of the way. They also double as storage for my anchors, ropes, and rod holders during transport.
I did make a plywood floor to go over the air floor, and it works well if you plan on doing much standing in the boat. It makes a huge difference in stability.
Another thing I did was take the rubber oar keepers off of my old inflatable boat, and glue them to the top of the pontoon toward the back of the boat. They function as my net holder and keep it nicely out of the way.
If you want to attempt to glue things to the boat by yourself,  gorilla glue seems to work well so long as you do it neatly and carefully. I'll try to find a picture of my boat all set up...
I haven't heard of Gorilla Glue used for mounts or patches. I'd be afraid that it doesn't stay pliable.
Options are:
This is the good stuff.
https://www.nrs.com/product/1904/clifton-hypalon-adhesive-fa-4844

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m-marine-adhesive-sealant-5200-white-3-oz-0790215p.0790215.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl9GCBhDvARIsAFunhsm6DbHX2cIfdRDBiaOt9Ka_a-BiYTQ0xLwN6PPE0zYmeqxY3Po4ufoaAgSZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=612

sbc hris

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 06:10:25 PM »

I haven't heard of Gorilla Glue used for mounts or patches. I'd be afraid that it doesn't stay pliable.
Options are:
This is the good stuff.
https://www.nrs.com/product/1904/clifton-hypalon-adhesive-fa-4844

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m-marine-adhesive-sealant-5200-white-3-oz-0790215p.0790215.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl9GCBhDvARIsAFunhsm6DbHX2cIfdRDBiaOt9Ka_a-BiYTQ0xLwN6PPE0zYmeqxY3Po4ufoaAgSZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=612

I would definitely spring for the good stuff if it's in the budget. But... my friend glued his scotty mount on that holds his 10 lb anchor, it's been there for close to 10 years, and I repaired my air floor with it 5 years ago and it's still holding 100%.

AJTorres9589

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 08:20:59 PM »

Thanks for so many great responses guys. Here’s a little update on where I’m at:

-I’ve taken typhoons recommendation and went with the weaver aluminum mount for the hull mounted Scotty anchor lock. It’s pretty pricy, but it’s peace of mind knowing that thing isn’t going anywhere. I’ll be drilling the mount for the second anchor lock into the transom (unless that’s not advised?) currently using 12 pound finned cannonballs for anchors. Couldn’t find any pyramids which I would prefer.
- went with a lowrance hook reveal 5
- minn Kota 30 for the trolling motor
- mounting two rod holders
- mounting a transducer arm
- mounting a a mount for the fish finder
- I’m using the weaver 2 part epoxy for gluing of all Scotty mounting pads
- going with jettabambino’s recommendation on the electric pump

Still looking for an engine. But otherwise That’s probably as far as I’m going to go for a bit. I like the converted milk crates for the seats a lot. And I’ll know soon enough if getting a cover for the floor is necessary. I like the ply wood a lot but it’s more weight/more to pack, etc. I’ll see if the high pressure flooring is stable enough as it is.

Thanks guys! And keep it coming. Still learning lots. 

sbc hris

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 09:28:45 AM »

Feel free to post some pics when you get it all done if you can  ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 11:10:52 AM »

The hypalon glues can be removed - the Gorilla glue or the urethane glue - probably not. I have an older achilles and I wouldn't use anything other than hypalon glue on it.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

AJTorres9589

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 10:28:14 PM »

Made some good progress today! But Total noob here, but how do you post pictures? I see the picture button under the Bold button. But it just does  this? Do I have to put a link from imgur or something between the ?