Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead release in the lower river  (Read 2037 times)

fishslayer7

Steelhead release in the lower river
« on: May 15, 2012, 12:37:37 AM »

Something I just realized totally confused me. Since the hatchery released over 100,000 steelhead into the lower river to head to the ocean... how do these fish know to go all the way up to the hatchery up slesse creek to spawn? Or do they just spawn in the lower river where they were released? Confused....

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead release in the lower river
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:29:31 AM »

some probably spawn where they were released...as to why they go back to the hatchery, maybe because they were reared there and by instinct can sense and remember the water there and find it again
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »

I think thats  why so many fishermen stay and fish at the lower river, better chances to hook or bonk a hatchery fish ;D ;D

Old Blue

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:43:22 AM »

I think thats  why so many fishermen stay and fish at the lower river, better chances to hook or bonk a hatchery fish ;D ;D

Good runs in the lower and you get the first stab at the fresh fish before they get pounded on.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 08:52:19 AM »

Good runs in the lower and you get the first stab at the fresh fish before they get pounded on.

You are so right, i think everybody should go to fish at the lower to get their fish ;)

Old Blue

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »

You are so right, i think everybody should go to fish at the lower to get their fish ;)

Hehehe, ya I prefer the upper too....so much more beautiful and you can get some peace and quiet.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 01:49:23 AM »

The main objective of the hatchery steelhead program is to provide angling opportunities, not future recruitment of the population, so their spawning success is not a concern to managers.

There are a couple of main reasons for releasing juvenile steelhead in the lower section of the Chilliwack River. One being it slows down the travelling time of returning adults once they are in the river, so angling pressure is more spread out. Two is to reduce the chance of these fish becoming resident fish instead of migrating into the Fraser River and sea.