Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: July 23rd, Lower Fraser action  (Read 3440 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
July 23rd, Lower Fraser action
« on: July 24, 2004, 08:11:24 PM »

What a hot day, both weather and fishing wise! Our kids in the first camp of the season did very well. The objective today was pretty difficult:

Identify BC salmon species based on shape, colour and size.
Learn how to set up a float rig, bait, cast, hook a fish, play it, release it safely.
Catch a sculpin, peamouth chub and northern pikeminnow.

They did them all, and plus a shiner perch to finish of the day. :)

The whole point of these camps is to allow the kids to learn independence and gain the feeling of accomplishment at the end. At the same time, it's important for them to take away the message of conservation and responsible angling.

Some photos

The rest of the photos can be found here!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re:July 23rd, Lower Fraser action
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 08:15:14 PM »

Very nice photo's and well done. How many anglers do you have out with you at a time?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 08:17:37 PM »

Two to four.

2 = Piece of cake
3 = Easy day
4 = Insanity
5 = Impossible

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 08:19:41 PM »

Similar to when had you and the girls out, easy day. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 10:20:05 PM »

Nice photos Rod.  Particularly like the hat one of the kids is wearing..... the one that extends down to the neck. Bet that came in handy on a day like today

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 01:22:18 AM »

Particularly like the hat one of the kids is wearing..... the one that extends down to the neck. Bet that came in handy on a day like today

Nina would probably agree with you, as the back of her neck and shoulders are completely RED at a moment. ;D

The kids caught 30 fish in total by the way. It took awhile to get them to understand when to strike when the float sinks, but once that was done things were rolling. :)

What's interesting is that boys are so eager to catch fish, while girls tend to be calmer and take things slowly. As a result, girls catch more fish than boys at our camps. :o

Today was one of our better days, Our days are usually not measured by number of fish, but number of birdnests we have to fix. ;D Only about 3 today, sometimes it can be as many as 20!

otto

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 02:03:12 AM »

man, would you look at the smiles on those kids faces.......damn thats whats it all about!!!! never mind this craziness over the last few weeks on the Fraser....these kids are showing us all what fishing is all about....!!!!!!

8)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 08:16:23 AM »

Hey Rod!  Tell Nina to mix a little smelly jelly in the sunscreen so the sunscreen smell won't contaminate the lures.  Apply liberally to exposed skin.  The other benefit is increased casting room ;D

funky rodder

• Save me some guys....
    • i-Clean(TM) Global
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 11:08:09 AM »

I was out there too on Saturday evening...didn't get a bite  :-\

When are the socks coming through anyways?
Bite me [bait]

gogetem

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 05:41:42 PM »

Hi Rod..I have a 11 year old grandson ..lives in Steveston...I am physically out of commision to take him fishing and to tach him  how to catch Chub,Sculpins etc..and I live in Chilliwack...
I have him outfitted ok...but parents don't have to many clues about fishing...Can you please tell me if there is a way to get him out there fishing properly..I reckon you have a fishing school or camp...can you let me know how to enroll him or get  me some info on same..Thanks Rodney....Gary

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 12:28:44 AM »

The youth fishing camp is half of my business during the summer months. When we started this last year, the idea was to create an alternative and positive way of learning for kids. It's basically an outdoor class with some fun blend into it. For a class to happen, I need at least two kids, maximum is four kids. The cost is $50 + PST and it's five hours long.

The first portion of the class we usually go through the basic biology material, such as fish id, what an estuary system is, wildlife in the Fraser estuary, how does tide work, other environmental factors such as wind, sun, temperature, clarity of water, etc.

The second portion involves instruction of the use of fishing equipment, starting with the spinning rod and reel, the setup for that day's fishing, bait, how to cast, how to detect bites, how to set the hook, how to land a fish, how to release a fish properly.

Before fishing starts, we do a safety talk on things to watch out for while fishing.

The last portion, which is around 3 to 4 hours long, involves mainly fishing. Kids will be allowed to fish on their own under our guidance if help is needed. The basic tasks are to catch a variety of species that are available in the area and be able to identify them. We'll put a few representative species in the fish tank, and learn their behaviour by studying their morphology etc.

By the end of the session, we usually expect the kids to fish own their own and be able to solve problems when they arise. Furthermore, we don't just want to create young anglers, but responsible young anglers. Hopefully when they walk away from the class, they have a new hobby that they can enjoy again and again instead of spending the summer in front of the tube or on FWR site! ;D

Students receive a package of handouts that are relevant to the stuff they learn during the class at the end.

To book a class, they just have to email school@fishingwithrod.com. A list of available dates and times are posted at http://www.fishingwithrod.com/school/class.html

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions, thanks. :)

gogetem

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 01:21:32 AM »

Thanks Rod..Thats exactly what I needed to Know..Thanx again

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 09:17:53 AM »

great job
weeeeeeeeeow!