Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My First Vedder Trip  (Read 2352 times)

Chuck23

My First Vedder Trip
« on: October 23, 2006, 09:21:26 AM »

Saturday morning - up super early to hit the river.  Got up there and started at the pools near the railway bridge.  I noticed right away that everyone was catching fish but myself! :( I was fishing blades and spinners all day.  No luck at the pools, but super nice to just be outside at the river.  I didn't see many people snagging or flossing at that area.  I did however see a guy dragging 2 live chum through the water with a rope through the gills.  I felt bad for these fish but didn't say anything as he was on the other side of the river.  Gross.

My buddy and I packed it up and headed up to Allison.  A few casts in and fish on!!  Sweet!  I landed it (about a 15lb chinook) - but it was so beat up I just turned it around and let it go to die in peace.  I hooked it right inside it mouth, by the way ;).  Up at Allison I saw all sorts of crappy fishing techniques.  Being a newb, I still know how to spot flossers or simply snagging.  In the large pool with the cliff beside it at the top of Allison I saw a couple of Chinooks hooked through the dorsal.  These guys had no floats and super long leaders and were standing directly over the fish.  I also saw a rainbow hooked through its side.  Hooked by a "ripper".

Apparently, I suck as a fisherman on the Vedder, but I'm going to continue going out, practicing the "right" way even if it takes me a while to consistently land fish and most importantly, be able to enjoy the great outdoors!

Sunday, I hit a local lake and fished for bows.  Caught 7.  Kept the first 4 and ate 3 last night!  Yum.  I'll be back next weekend!

*FYI - Short drift fishing confuses me!   ??? I need to find out how to do that properly as it was hard for me to figure out the wrong or right way to do it on the Vedder.  It seamed that everybody had a different method! ???

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: My First Vedder Trip
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 10:12:38 AM »

Excellent report!!, Glad you had fun and landed a fish!, Remember practice makes perfect! ;)
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 10:21:34 AM »

Don't give up - once you understand short floating and reading water you'll catch fish. Fish the seams and use the longest float to lead distance you can but the key is the float has to ride straight up and down in the water. Keep your leader 20"-30" long at the most. Adjust the size of your weight to be as light as possible but allow you to effectively cast and hold the float vertical throughout the drift based on the water you are fishing.

Good on you for sticking to your principles.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 10:25:14 AM »

Chuck, trust me, your efforts to learn how to do it right will be rewarded.  These guys lined up flossing and snagging fish will be shut down one fine day....DFO can't continue to let our sport degrade to such levels.  When that happens, you be ready regardless.  Keep in mind that if there werent sooo many chums and springs around, these guys wouldnt be hooking much and really, if you are targetting coho snagging all those chums and springs is just a pain in the my friend.

For future reference, it is illigal to keep a fish alive and restrained.  That guy was breaking a couple laws (you are only allowed 1 chum on the vedder), sounds like a real beak.  We all need to learn our regs, not only for our own good but to "help" those that don't.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 10:37:53 AM »

Right on Gooey with stating the regulations with regards to how many chum can be retained, and how you have to dispatch any salmon you catch and decide to keep.  And Chuck don't get discouraged, learning the right way is the way to go.  I always think fishing should be fun and relaxing, but sadly when you go down to the Vedder at this time of the year the rules seem to get tossed out the door.

Chuck23

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 11:01:26 AM »

Wow - you're telling me!  The Vedder is a mess.  I don't really think I will be going back there until the Coho/Chum season is over.  I loved being outdoors, but being a newb I think it is best for me to stay away from spots where one could easily pick up bad habits without even realizing it.

I'm thinking of going to the Cap next weekend.  I just feel like spinning for Coho but it was so hard to even find a pool deep enough on the Vedder, much less one with any room around it.  The trout season on the Vedder is going to be so much more relaxing - I hope.  In the mean time I think that lakes and less travelled streams are the way to go.  If any one can lead me towards a better place to spin for Coho I would love to hear about it.  (Just point me in the right direction :))

By the way - if any one is heading out as a group, I would love to come along and pick up some good habits! ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 12:57:12 PM »

I live on the cap and while its nice and convenient for a north vancouverite, its a waste of time right now if you want a decent chance of hooking a coho.  The river is dead low...I snorkel it once a month if not more during the summer and early fall and its empty right now.  I havent even seen the natives out snagging in the mouth and lower river.

I would say that some of the sloughs around mission or the harrison will be better bets than the capilano.

Keep in mind chuck, it sounds like you were at the easy access spots on the vedder...those always turn into a gong show.  go hiking, explore...get away from the crowd.  I have fished the vedder for 15 year and there are still huge chunks I dont know that well, I am sure there are some great spots just waiting to be found. 

If you are serious about spinning for coho, email me and I'll give you some ideas of where the crowds will less and there will be very few snaggers at all.
(click the email icon on the left side of this box).

Chuck23

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 07:58:19 AM »

Emailed!  Thanks Gooey. :)

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 12:06:41 AM »

Chuck23, why give up on the Vedder, go and set an example!  Maybe they will learn through observing!  But, I don't think that it is illegal to fish without a float!  I think that that is very common in the states!  Remember there is lots of river!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 09:34:08 PM »

Chuck, trust me, your efforts to learn how to do it right will be rewarded.  These guys lined up flossing and snagging fish will be shut down one fine day....DFO can't continue to let our sport degrade to such levels.  When that happens, you be ready regardless.  Keep in mind that if there werent sooo many chums and springs around, these guys wouldnt be hooking much and really, if you are targetting coho snagging all those chums and springs is just a pain in the my friend.

For future reference, it is illigal to keep a fish alive and restrained.  That guy was breaking a couple laws (you are only allowed 1 chum on the vedder), sounds like a real beak.  We all need to learn our regs, not only for our own good but to "help" those that don't.
Yes you are correct, 2 meeting planned in the near future to try and deal with the awful state of our fishery on so many of our rivers this days. It will be a tough battle to try and change things but it is a start.

I have never heard so many people so concerned about what has gone on this season. This is a good thing as we should be able to get MOE and FOC ears on this matter.

I have a good feeling that changes are going to happen some will not be happy but you can never please everyone all the time. I believe changes will be happening on the Fraser as well.

Time will tell if my feelings are correct, will keep you posted as this meeting get underway. There has been a fair mount of ideas posted on the 3 local web sites, these will be reviewed at the meetings for consideration, thanks for all that posted. As well these have been read recently by many in MOE and FOC as well as the press. Stay tunned