Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho....hard to find and harder to land!  (Read 5353 times)

NFM

Re: Coho....hard to find and harder to land!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 05:07:18 PM »

Try out the Owner cutting point hooks they work wonders for myself and other i know who use them  :)

Mike D.

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »

I have no problems this year,

12 hooked on fly 10 landed

30 hooked on gear 20 landed - number 6 gami's

and they have been easy to find!  ;D

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 07:36:58 PM »

This season 3 hooked on spinners , 2 lost and 1 released wild. On the fly 1 for 2 on coho jacks and 1 for 2 on adults. The one landed was after the coho did the famous coho death roll and wrapped itself up with leader then laid stunned in the water. All I had to do was to drag it onto the beach. I felt cheated that it didn't put up much of a fight, could have let it unravel to play it some more but since it was a keeper I didn't want to chance it coming unbuttoned.
It ain't the roe bro'

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 02:02:46 AM »

Thanks guys, lots of good advice, I fished again this afternoon and felt one very coho'ish nibble but other than that it was only chum for me.

Lastcar

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 10:18:59 PM »

We found plenty on our favorite river, however water levels being what they were and our casual techniques there was nothing doing yet...

gregcan

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 08:18:59 AM »

Maybe 12 on and 6 home this year. I have subscribed to the "get them on the bank before they have a chance to shake the hook" school in the past, and it has helped me keep fish on days where I had lost every one I caught. This technique, it seems only works on little 5-8lb Coho though IMHO.

daveyjoneser

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 08:45:08 PM »

I consider myself a pretty good coho fisherman I've been fishin them pretty hard for bout 16 yrs,this year I have hooked about 20 landed 2 sorta ! was wild the other (the sorta) i fought carfully down the river about 200 yards i was sweatin and didn't dare lose it I got it about 2 feet from shore and the hook popped out I dropped my rod and pounced on the 8lb hatchery chromer I walked back to where my buddy was fishin with a big smile and a nice fish and he said "why are you so wet?"lmao