Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rice Lake dec9th  (Read 2609 times)

hrenya

Rice Lake dec9th
« on: December 09, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »

From my bud few minutes ago :
its not frozen , water did came up quite a bit . our regular spot didn`t work for him this time , he got 1 bite after 2 hours , he relocated to another ninja spot (basically that`s where I fish if there two of us :)) and he start getting bites ... about 25 bites , over a dozen landed , the rest lost ... was dead afer  12 , so far from our knowledge morning is the best

p.s. I notice that over last month pretty much , they not taking it , and kinda nibble on it ... so if you want to keep a fish just wait :)
p.p.s. I think they became more careful :) it sucks , but also makes it a bit interesting too :)

ali2pali

Re: Rice Lake dec9th
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 12:41:21 PM »

Thanks for the report. Just curious, you using bait or lures?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 01:07:23 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to post a report.

hrenya

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »

I use bait with big hook , sometimes at the bottom , sometimes with float ...
it`s more fun with float but I have to use short rods at rice , as I can`t use my 13-6 rod casting out of the bushes to keep line tight .. and if its windy slack in a line just makes it hard to set a hook , 75% with float I`m getting robbed :(((

Kever

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 07:42:05 PM »

How are those fish to eat? I always throw them back because I assume they are pellet fed mush.

hrenya

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 09:48:12 PM »

if you grew up eating sockeye/coho every day , you will be disappointed .... but my bud likes to cook them in oven with veggies , I like to bbq them ... it`s the matter of taste .... I also got few people I talked to , they salt/dry them  ... so ... if you won`t try it - you won`t know ....

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 10:04:10 PM »

Local trout are OK.  I used to keep a few way back in the days of fishing Alice Lake when they stocked it aggressively.  That was probably at least 10 - 12 years ago now.  I kept a few from Lafarge in years past and they taste the same.  I assume the fish from Rice are very similar.  White meat flesh, delicate/mild flavor with a slight earthy taste.  Personally, I much prefer the interior trout with the nice red flesh.

I've never fished Rice Lake before, but I was thinking that it might be a good place to take my girls in the spring when the weather is warmer (there's no way they'd last out there for 2 minutes now!).  I also haven't fished for trout using bait/gear for many years, so that should be fun again with the kids.  Anyway, thanks for the report... :)

hrenya

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 05:51:23 PM »

will head tmrw to rice ... wait for some more info :)