Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly fishing on whonnock lake  (Read 12432 times)

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
Fly fishing on whonnock lake
« on: March 29, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »

I am new to fly fishing and i went to whonnock lake today, man what a day. Eagles flying over top, nice and quiet, a lot of action on the lake. I didn't catch anything but had some strikes what a rush ( i have to get my timing better on the hook set) but i think it is safe to say i am hooked on fly fishing and can't wait till the next time and the next lake i go to. If anyone has any tips to give me it would be great. ;D 
Thanks in advance

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Fly fishing on whonnock lake
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:15:47 PM »

At this time of year fish can be very sluggish due to the cold water. Being cold blooded their whole metabolism is lowed down, which also means they can be slow at closing their mouth. Under these conditions it is best to let fish start swimming away with your fly before you attempt to set the hook, otherwise you can full the fly right out of their mouth.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 08:50:11 PM »

I have always had a lot fo luck on Whonnock with a red Doc Spratley fly. I find a nice quiet location on the lake and cast to the rising fish. I was there last week and caught a ton of fish that way. There was a great hatch goin on there at the time too, LOTS of little flies (midges if Im not mistaken).
Newsman is right though, you have to be patient, retrieve slow and don't be too hasty on the hook set at this time of year. Let them clamp down on it first. Things will be different when the weather turns warmer, its a fairly shallow lake.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 10:07:33 PM »

Good to hear someone else praise Whonnock. It is my lower mainland favorite, but people here that too much from me. Thanks FOH.

JackalDark

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:33:51 AM »

Nice! I'm going to have to get out there!

Love it when the place is quiet!

deepcovehooker

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:36:12 PM »

Do you fish from shore or do you fish from a floating device?

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 07:07:49 PM »

Do you fish from shore or do you fish from a floating device?

You can do either. A Float tube or boat gets you where you want to go, and you can pick and choose your spots. There are two docks to fish off of though if you don't have  way of getting out on to the water. It is a fairly shallow lake, and i like to take my tube, but you can catch them from shore.

Just keep in mind that if you have a boat there are no motors allowed on that lake. Not even electric. Although I still don't know why the kayak club are exempt from that rule. Anyone know?

yamadirt 426

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 09:41:57 PM »

Seen a couple of guys using electrics on the lake today. Something wrong about telling a guy twice my age that your not supose to be using that. I don't know thought, Maybe he is disabled. Nope he just manhandled his little boat putting it in his van. Shoulders must still work  ???  Oh well it didn't ruin my day  :D

Nymph

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 05:51:31 AM »

Yamadirt-- For some, rules are simply guidelines. ???

Whonnock is a good lake... caught my first fish of the season there. I like that it's still relatively close to civilization, yet far enough to feel like you're in the sticks.

I haven't tried fly fishing this year- YET. I should start SOON before it gets busy on the lakes... that way I can hopefully save face and NOT look like a complete loser.
Git-R-Done

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 09:23:55 PM »

That no electric thing on Whonnock has always been one of my beefs. I don't see where an electrics is an issue and I find it prejudicial toward anglers with medical conditions and handicaps. Trailered my boat there once and used my electric when I was dealing with a hand injury. The lady who ca retakes the park hollered at me for a good half hour while I kept fishing. My daughter asked me what I was going to do, and I said "just fish. If she wants to get the law after me she is welcome. That would give me a good news paper storys; on how the powers that be over Whonnock Lake are pregidous toward the disabled." Nothing happened.

Colorado Grinner

• never enough
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 09:48:28 PM »

Same thing happened to me Newsman,
Fair enough I didn't see the sign but that lady didn't give up!
The ironic part was The Canoe and Kayak Club had 2 gas powered cartoppers on the lake at the same time!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 09:58:37 PM »

Ya, I has been seeing them pull their canoes around with their gas motors for at least 10 years.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 11:02:51 PM »

I believe they use the motor boat for safety\rescue reasons for the canoeists
If my child was canoeing at the far side of the lake
and got into trouble, i would like to think someone could get to them real quick
so maybe they have some exception to the regs

As for the no motors allowed for anyone else
This is stated in the fresh water fishing regulations Whonnock Lake "no power boats" (a boat powered by any type of motor)
Breaking the rules beacause you disagree with it does not make it right
If you are disabled you may have exceptions to the rules too, but you would have to have some kind of paperwork to prove it

Nymph

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 06:07:05 AM »

I agree with Britguy...

With all due respect, rules are put in place for a reason. I am not sure what the exact reasonsing is behind the motor ban, whether it is safety or otherwise, but to disregard it is unacceptable. Laws are put in place because society needs them- and although using an electric motor is not the Crime of the century- it is still fundamentally wrong.
Git-R-Done

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »

I agree with britguy as well rules are rules. Some of us could benefit from the exercise anyway ;)