Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Fernie & Gear Tips  (Read 1266 times)

G-Ratt

Fishing Fernie & Gear Tips
« on: May 26, 2015, 11:16:10 AM »

Hey all, this September I'm going to be visiting a good friend in Fernie for about a week, and I can't wait to get my hands on some Westlope Cutthroats. I've searched around the forum and the web, but was wondering if anybody here had any good input on fishing the Elk River Valley.

I know fly fishing dominates the Elk Valley, however I have only fly fished a couple of times in my life. My plan is to grab a good all-purpose fly rod and get a bunch of practice on Pinks this summer before heading up to Fernie. So I have a couple of basic questions:

- I'm thinking of getting a decent 6 wt. fly rod, I've seen friends land pink salmon with these, and I've casted one a few times. Anybody have any suggestions on a good mid-price range 6 wt. that is pretty versatile? (solid for nymphing, dry flies, etc.)

- If you have been to the area, do you think walk + wade would do the trick? Or is it a tricky river to cover that is best drifted?

-Finally, if I get frustrated with my lack of flyfishing skill, do you know if there is anywhere to gear fish in the area? I have searched around online, and seen some posts about people catching Bulltrout on spoons on the Elk, but my friend who knows the river quite well said that it is strictly flyfishing only.

Thanks for the help!

mzmann

Re: Fishing Fernie & Gear Tips
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »

Gear is fine as it is not a fly fishing only system. A simple check of the regs can confirm this. It is however (as well as many of the other systems in area) classified waters and you need to be sure to be familiar with reg/have correct licensing. As well should be noted that most of the tributary's and some other waters in area are closed completely Sept 1st - Oct 31st.

Spoons/spinners work deadly for bulls/cutty's and is a ton of fun. I have only fished the elk area once (just this past march) just parking along hwy and walking in anywhere from sparwood-elko and did well ;).......Actually did my best right in fernie itself.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_region4.pdf
Wishin I was fishin!! :)