Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gulp sandshrimp  (Read 6186 times)

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
Gulp sandshrimp
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:47:32 PM »

Was fishing my favourite steelhead river this last weekend. Buddy hooked into two at the first hole. Trying something different i put on a gulp sandshrimp and on the first cast hooked into a steelie. Ended up being the largest steelhead i have caught in 19 years on this river. Over 20 lbs easy! Was very surprised to catch this fish o. A rubber sandshrimp. Will try again in the future!
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

azafai

Re: Gulp sandshrimp
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »

great!
what color did you use?

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:15:18 PM »

Pink with some glutter and a lighter belly
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvzojOJ_llg&feature=related

Seems like this fish had one of those in him.... and much, much more  :o

grumpy

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 10:46:23 PM »

did you use a jig with the sand shrimp

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »

i have caught a few on plastic ghost shrimp, in the pink colour. they work pretty good and work when nothin else is working and theve seen everything.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 12:15:31 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvzojOJ_llg&feature=related

Seems like this fish had one of those in him.... and much, much more  :o

Thanks for the link.
Comes to show that steelhead are nothing but glorified water pigs that will eat anything you put in front of their noses, even cigarette butts.

The trick is in finding them and putting the presentation right in front of them.

Morty

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 11:12:41 AM »

That was one greedy fish.

My concern lies in the fact that Steelhead have the ability to survive the spawning cycle and live to go back to ocean and return again.  If we're offering them plastic, and it breaks off to stay inside them - will it plug their digestive tract and kill them.  Hooks can dissolve in their mouths and digestive tracts.  Small amounts of wool can pass through.  But a synthetic shrimp??
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 12:24:23 PM »

That was one greedy fish.

My concern lies in the fact that Steelhead have the ability to survive the spawning cycle and live to go back to ocean and return again.  If we're offering them plastic, and it breaks off to stay inside them - will it plug their digestive tract and kill them.  Hooks can dissolve in their mouths and digestive tracts.  Small amounts of wool can pass through.  But a synthetic shrimp??

I stopped using gooey bobs for steelhead years ago for this exact reason.
Plastic worms might make it out but a strawberry-sized chunk of rubber probably wont.

Brook Trout

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 07:37:40 PM »

One time i opened up a trout from a river and it had 2 gulp like rubber fish in it's stomach but nothing like that steelhead in the video.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 12:51:34 AM »

that video is pretty nuts. I usually use natural baits but if you think about it...when a steelhead mends and goes back in the ocean, the odds for it to survive basically start over again. If say 1% of the juvenile fish return [and usually less than that do] ... say of 100,000 - that's only 1,000 fish or less. Then when that fish goes back, he has basically a 1 in 100 chance he will survive to come back and spawn a second time. So it's kind of a damned either way deal...that being said there are monster fish still caught that are likely repeat offenders, but you rarely hear of them. my 0.02

Morty

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 10:24:32 PM »

that video is pretty nuts. I usually use natural baits but if you think about it...when a steelhead mends and goes back in the ocean, the odds for it to survive basically start over again. If say 1% of the juvenile fish return [and usually less than that do] ... say of 100,000 - that's only 1,000 fish or less. Then when that fish goes back, he has basically a 1 in 100 chance he will survive to come back and spawn a second time. So it's kind of a damned either way deal...that being said there are monster fish still caught that are likely repeat offenders, but you rarely hear of them. my 0.02

Hi Fishhunter - I like the thought you've put into this but feel the logic is bit flawed.  When flipping a coin, the odds are 50/50 each time that you'll get heads.  Even if you've flipped tails 199 times in a row, the odds of getting heads on the next flip are again 50/50.  With that in mind, when a fish returns to the ocean for a second time, they are 1 in the 100,000 again and maybe wiser than most of the others.  (likely older and weaker, but still 1 in 100,000 again not 1 in 100)
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 12:01:37 PM »

Hi Fishhunter - I like the thought you've put into this but feel the logic is bit flawed.  When flipping a coin, the odds are 50/50 each time that you'll get heads.  Even if you've flipped tails 199 times in a row, the odds of getting heads on the next flip are again 50/50.  With that in mind, when a fish returns to the ocean for a second time, they are 1 in the 100,000 again and maybe wiser than most of the others.  (likely older and weaker, but still 1 in 100,000 again not 1 in 100)

ooh yeah I see what you mean, I just meant the juvi steelhead have a 1% chance of returning as adults, so when they mend and go back to sea the adult steelhead also have the same 1% chance to come and spawn a second time

I just meant the 1 in 100 is the same as 1000 fish coming back as adults from a juvenile release of 100,000 fish

fisher man

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 01:21:45 PM »

Great point guys, thank you. I will consider that, espicially when other baits work just as well

obie1fish

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 05:23:46 PM »

About the plastics.. I think the Berkeley products are designed to break down over time outside of the digestive tract; if so, then they will break down much more quickly in the stomach.