Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When is sockeye closing?  (Read 2494 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
When is sockeye closing?
« on: August 08, 2006, 07:35:14 PM »

A buddy said it was rumored to be closed midnight tonight (Tuesday Aug 8th)...does anyone know for sure...I couldnt find the opening notices on the DFO's web site  ???

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: When is sockeye closing?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 07:41:39 PM »

I have heard nothing like this and I am sure that there would be notices up and that the word would have been out a couple days ago if it was closing tonight at midnight.  I think that your buddy is messing with you!! ;) ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 08:45:44 PM »

they will give atleast 24hrs notice before closing. but normally you get more time than that.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 09:20:02 PM »

I agree with BS. Your friend is messing with you. It usually close after the Labour Day weekend.

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 12:32:46 AM »

This is such a volatile fishery. Anyone who says its gonna close next week or next month is either GOD or is talking out of their butts. Factors such as Water temperature, River Levels, test catches etc... affect the sockeye as they migrate up the river. These factors are taken into consideration every single day by the Salmon Commission during the opening. If any of these factors are negatively affecting the run then it will be shut down with only a day or two notice. Therefore, the Sockeye opening is indefinate and can close at the flick of a switch. It is also possible that it could close and then reopen a week later. So dont get you 20 foot leaders in a knot ;) sockeye is not closing as of right now.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 08:55:02 AM »

;D well said muddler you hit the nail on the head for sure. but you never know with dfo  8)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 09:39:24 AM »

With the main run, the Summers yet to enter the river in peak numbers you will not see a recreational closure for a while. As well we will see the commercial sector getting some openings shortly up as far as Mission.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 03:55:54 PM »

Anyone have a good test fishery information site? I always use the pacific salmon commission one at www.psc.org but it's been down the last two days.