Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terminal Tackle for Steelhead  (Read 2458 times)

Dr. Backlash

Terminal Tackle for Steelhead
« on: December 29, 2007, 07:20:23 PM »

I've got an appropriate rod and baitcaster reel for steelhead fishing, but what size of hooks should I use (for float fishing with either roe, shrimp, or wool) and what size of line and leader?  And does it matter if the line and/or leader are fluorocarbon (because I've currently got 10 lb Berkley fluorocarbon line on my Abu Garcia c6501 and I was wondering if that's strong enough to fight a steelhead)?  Are steelhead interested in Colorado blades?

Any info would be greatly appreciated (this will be my first steelheading season - and yes I'm fully aware that I can only keep 1 hatchery fish and must stop fishing after I catch it (if I decide to keep it))!!

Thanks in advance

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Terminal Tackle for Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 07:30:46 PM »

Depends on water condition. Downsize your hook and leader if water is low and clear.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 09:57:41 AM »

Geezus, a 6501 (without backing) must hold 500 yards of 10lb flouro!!!  Ya, I would say that 10lb main is pretty light for float fishing the vedder.  12-15 lb maxima is probably what a majority of guys are using. 

In terms of terminal tackle, don't worry about that so much as active fish will take most presentations.  I fished a big dime sized corky with a 1/0 red gami and a roe bag.  picked up a fish in dirty pocket water with that, drove up river and got one in a gin clear pool on the exact same thing.  Did that twice last year. 

Some times fishers over think things and make things too complicated.  If your a beginner, experimenting can lead to a lot of missed opportunities, stick with a few key producers and focus on reading the river and learning the runs...once you get more experienced, then start mixin it up a little more.

for a novice, pink worms probably are the best bait I can think of.  If you have salmon fished before and you have some good cured roe then of coarse thats another great option, otherwise some store bought roe sacks are good.  One great thing about bags and worms VS chunked roe is that you don't have to worry about you bait comming off all the time, makes for more efficient fishing.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:18:25 PM »

gooey hit the nail on the head perfect, i caught more fish as a kid cause i only had confidence in roe and thats all i used, didn't care what kind, then i got into all this experimenting and stuff and the roe usually still out fishes most other things, except for ...
Fish killer 101

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 07:55:30 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the tips fella's!!  I'll definitely upgrade my 10lb fluorocarbon main line to something a little stronger.  So, do you think Fluorocarbon line is important for Steelhead, or would Mono line would be ok too?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 07:58:01 PM by iliketofish »