Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New sturgeon fisher  (Read 8315 times)

Hook Set

New sturgeon fisher
« on: March 15, 2007, 04:27:44 PM »

Well I want to start sturgeon fishing this year and I have a few questions. I was wondering when does the sturgeon fishing start to get good and what should i use to target them? Also is there any good spots where I have a chance to get into a few from shore because I do not have a boat. I bought a rod but I do not have a reel yet so I  was also wondering what you would suggest for a sturdy reel that will not be to much $$$.

Any help is appreciated
Hook Set

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: New sturgeon fisher
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:02:10 PM »

i use a penn 321gti left hand retrieve spooled w/80lb. tuff line. sturgeon fishing is good all year long, if you can brave the elements. there are lots of spots along the fraser to fish from the shore. try the mouth of the stave and cast from the upstream side, super deep hole there.pm me and maybe i'll take you to one of my holes,fishing hole that is.
                                                                                                            nik
Berry's has that reel, right and left handed for $129.99 right now.  I was thinking about getting one myself. ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 05:10:55 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 05:09:16 PM »

THE EULIGAN RUN WILL BE HERE IN APRIL, THATS WHEN U WANNA HIT THE RIVER, AS FOR SPOTS FROM SHORE, UR GONNA HAVE TO DO SOME WALKING AROUND TO FIND A GOOD SPOT AS ITS LIMITED, I ONLY HAVE ABOUT 2 SPOTS THAT I CAN FISH FROM SHORE WHEN A BOAT IS NOT AVAILABLE, WHERE ABOUTS R U LOCATED ? I CAN GET U A PENN 320 GT2 FOR $ 129

Hook Set

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 05:15:11 PM »

Captain Bonk-I am located in coquitlam. And nik ill be in touch in the next little while, I may just have to take you up on that. But first I have to get all the gear. :)

Hook Set

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 08:16:38 PM »

Captain Bonk is the reel you were talking about new or used?

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »

BRAND NEW IN THE BOX

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:11:12 AM »

IM NOT THE GOVERNMENT, THOSE BASTARDS ALWAYS TAKE THEIR SHARE!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 01:36:44 AM »

I also want to get into sturgeon fishing, but not to sure on how to get started. Last year I bought a nice 300 dollar sturgeon reel,  I have this short thick rod that i picked up at a garage sale that I think might work. Hoping there are some good chilliwack spots that someone could lead me to, and whats an average day fishing for sturgeon like, are they picky?
The Bigger The Better!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 09:21:47 AM »

There's an opportunity here for someone to do a Seminar on bank fishing for Sturgeon in the Fraser.

STS Guiding does one for boat fishing but there's a large group of fishermen who just need a small start-2 here on this thread alone and I've seen many references to this question in the past.

A few nights writing/producing up course material choose a location and a time put up some notices in cyberspace/tackle shops and you're good to go.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 03:54:05 PM »

I think the 320 Penn is too small for Sturgeon.
You want the 330 Model.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 05:16:02 PM by firstlight »

Hook Set

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 07:37:01 PM »

Thanks for the input guys. So I hear the euligan run is soon. How do I fish these and is there anywhere near coquitlam or around there that I can have a chance at catching a dino. ;D

Hook Set

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 09:27:07 PM »

Ok thanks for that info fisherforever

Hook Set

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 12:10:52 PM »

My dad is thinking about maybe going out this week. But we were wondering with the all the rivers running brown and flowing into the fraser and making it high and brown does this effect sturgeon fishing? Or do they still just feed like normal relying on their smell? Also is the fishing even good yet?

Hook Set

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 12:40:23 PM »

Ok thanks Nuggy. Ya I guess I should just get out there and figure it all out for myself ;D Thanks for the help everybody. :)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 01:46:23 PM »

There's an opportunity here for someone to do a Seminar on bank fishing for Sturgeon in the Fraser.

STS Guiding does one for boat fishing but there's a large group of fishermen who just need a small start-2 here on this thread alone and I've seen many references to this question in the past.

A few nights writing/producing up course material choose a location and a time put up some notices in cyberspace/tackle shops and you're good to go.

Riverside Fly & Tackle did a  sturgeon fishing course last year. After a few hours of showing people how to rig up and the basics everyone was taken out on the water to apply their knowledge. IF there is interest i'm sure they would do anyother this year.