Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 208643 times)

ja

That first three weeks of November are just killer.......so is my boss when he refuses time off requests. Nice fish bro.

lol...that's a good one.

Rod, coho fishing for you this year has been spectacular!  Do the bites die off early after sunrise or is it that you just leave then?

sockeyed

Still in the lower river eh?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Rod, coho fishing for you this year has been spectacular!  Do the bites die off early after sunrise or is it that you just leave then?

I find this season has been really odd that only the first half hour of the day has been excellent for bites. After that it just dies off completely. That's pretty typical for early part of the season but somehow it just dragged right through October even with the rain. This week I've finally seen some consistent bites through the whole morning instead of just first light. I leave by 9am anyway because work and family duties take over. Can't complain when I can get an hour of action every morning. ;D

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

I don't think any guy would complain if he got an hour of action every morning :o

I've found the last light bite seems to come on a little sooner and last longer in the early season.
Of course, it sucks that the fishing gets hotter and then it gets dark and you're forced to leave, but the rivers usually a lot less pressured as well.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Good looking coho. Congrats. First light action is the sure ticket, roe or spoon. The problem for us town folks is that we can't just drive there and fish for an hour and head home. Not everyday is going to be productive. LOL. Besides, those good runs and hot pools are usually jammed packed with people until lately with the cold and foul weather. I guess it is better to head out later and then fish the evening bite, or better yet, when fish are moving through fast water, is to do top down presentation on a travel lane (outside of the chum route) without jerking the rod and using small size 2 hook with roe scented wool. Target the flatter area of the lane at least 2 ft deep best anchored by a larger rock at the end of the flat area, with fast sliding water below it. Fish will come up the slide and rest briefly at these flatter and deeper area and they bite well if you slow down the presentation with the top-down line feeding action. Most of my coho hooked this way are mouth hooked biting well in highly oxygenated rifling water. They bite well if you slow down enough with the top down presentation and if you stay back so they don't see you. High water with tea colour or at least a ft of visibility is best for this. Also with this slowed down top-down presentation, and with small hook without jerking the rod, there is a lot less foul hooking. If you do, just point the rod and the size 2 hook will open up in no time to release the foul hook. Just ply back the small hook and keep fishing. I guess the tough thing is to find a day off with the water at this optimal state so one can fish first light for maximum bite efficiency, and then drift off to find a good fast water where coho are travelling. That is why retirees do have an advantage to choose the best day and time to fish, especially if you live minutes from the river.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:15:32 PM by Steelhawk »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough

I guess it is better to head out later and then fish the evening bite, or better yet, when fish are moving through fast water, is to do top down presentation on a travel lane (outside of the chum route) without jerking the rod and using small size 2 hook with roe scented wool. Target the flatter area of the lane at least 2 ft deep best anchored by a larger rock at the end of the flat area, with fast sliding water below it. Fish will come up the slide and rest briefly at these flatter and deeper area and they bite well if you slow down the presentation with the top-down line feeding action. Most of my coho hooked this way are mouth hooked biting well in highly oxygenated rifling water. They bite well if you slow down enough with the top down presentation and if you stay back so they don't see you. High water with tea colour or at least a ft of visibility is best for this.

Be carefully , some people will call you a fast water dipper or flosser. And you will be in the next video. :D ;D

koko

LOL!
Be carefully , some people will call you a fast water dipper or flosser. And you will be in the next video. :D ;D

milo

• Old Timer

Chris can be across the stream when you least expect it. And he's got ZOOM.
Dip with caution. ;D

Floater

• Old Timer

I don't think any guy would complain if he got an hour of action every morning :o

I've found the last light bite seems to come on a little sooner and last longer in the early season.
Of course, it sucks that the fishing gets hotter and then it gets dark and you're forced to leave, but the rivers usually a lot less pressured as well.
If your lucky enough it really is the way to fish, in the summer and fall im blessed to be staying at a place where my own personal slice of river is only a 10 minute hike through the woods. Not a single soul in site but the odd grizzly bear, even tho i can fish all day i tend to just fish a couple hours at a time sometimes twice a day.
[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Once again I found chum but they were all fresh run so we  am enjoying one again for supper, sorry Dave but I took a doe this time. :P

I fished for an hour and then headed to film some activity to do with the gravel extraction in the Vedder that Rod informed me about. I will have a report on my FB page later.

The water was great this AM as fairly cool but the heavy rain is now taking its toll when I looked an hour ago.

BNF861

• Old Timer

18pound vedder coho, now iv heard everything ::)

Not quite 18lbs, but I got a hatchery a few years back that weighed in at 15.6lbs ˆ've got a couple wilds since that were close but that was the biggest coho I have landed.

If I remember right, you happened to be walking by as I killed it.

Dave

• Old Timer

Dating myself, but I recall a now deceased angler, Ernie Mcduff, bringing two coho into Riverside Resort for weighing ... 16 and 17 pounds;
this would be in the early 70's.  I was also with Terry Duck when he caught a few 15 pounders.  My biggest was about 13-14 lbs, not so long ago.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

The river around 2pm today...a little late but just an idea if ypurvheading out tomorrow.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Still raining.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Ya, talk about stereotyping, someone just likes to do name calling without trying out some other effective techniques for coho, lol.
Actually, if you use more than 18" of leader with this technique, you are not going to do too well because the fast water will swirl your hook around faster than the wheel of fortune and fish will have a hard time to bite a swirling hook. So use short leader to keep it down to the bottom where the fish is. Slow it down with a straight line top-down presentation. Don't set the hook unless the float goes down. Not much chance for flossing when you don't drag across the current. Oh well, call it whatever, it is a very effective technique for coho in fast water when they are travelling. Even better before the dog kingdom shows up to spook up the coho. I guess no one likes dog bite, including the coho, lol.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:59:34 PM by Steelhawk »