Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Fishing  (Read 8777 times)

HKSR

Squamish Fishing
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »

Hi guys/gals, just joined today!  This is the first time I've really gotten into fishing after buying a ton of gear at Sea Run last weekend.  I used to go once in awhile with my bro-in-law who loves fly fishing, but I've never had my own gear. 

My fiancee and I headed out to Derby Reach last weekend, but got nothing but a nibble here or there.  Thinking about heading up to Squamish either this weekend or next.  Are pinks running through there?  If not, where else is highly recommended?  Tidal or freshwater is fine by me, just wanna know ahead of time so I pack accordingly :) 

Nitroholic

Re: Squamish Fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:16:18 AM »

squamish is done, fish the fraser

HKSR

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:23:03 AM »

squamish is done, fish the fraser

Lol, quick and to the point :)  Nothing else running through the rivers though?  I don't plan to keep anything to eat, just catch and release. 

How about freshwater lakes?

roseph

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »

Pinks are spawning there, I would leave them be personally. 

As for lakes there are lots around Squamish and Whistler.  Next time you're in a tackle shop I recommend picking up the Fishing Mapbook for Southwestern BC.  I am in no way affiliated but I find it pretty useful as they have most lakes pretty well covered.

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/fishing-mapbooks-66/british-columbia-77/southwestern-bc-fishing-8-214.html

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »

As others have mentioned, pink salmon season on the Squamish River has pretty much come to an end as most fish are now spawning and very few fish are entering the river. Retention of pink salmon is now closed so it is catch and release only. Since most fish are now at spawning phase, fishing for them is not that exciting and not recommended.

This time of the year on the Squamish River is a bit quiet. In a few weeks from now, fall salmon species (coho and chum salmon) will start appearing in the system. Catch and release only unless specified in the regulations or in-season openings. If you go up there during this time of the year, you may also encounter bull trout, cutthroat trout and rainbow trout, which are feeding on salmon eggs. Catch and release only for these species too.

Lakes around Squamish are not producing well right now as they have not been stocked since spring. The Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery will resume the stocking program in October, when fishing should pick up again.

Beyond Squamish, lakes around Whistler Village might be ok.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »

Squamish pinks are rotten.  I enjoyed watching these guys splash around on the weekend, but was camping not fishing.

If you have never explored the Squamish/Elaho/Ashlu area then explore it now before fishing season starts!  Great scenery and miles and miles of decent gravel roads.

HKSR

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:42:12 AM »

Thanks for all the input guys! 

By the sounds of it, I'd be best holding off and heading up there in a month or so instead?  Hopefully the temperatures don't plummet too quickly hehe. 

HKSR

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »

So I've decided to head up there this coming weekend (Oct 1st and 2nd), any advice for a newbie on what to expect in the Squamish River?  I'm assuming some of the bigger salmon should be going through there now?  What kind of lures would you recommend?

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »

So I've decided to head up there this coming weekend (Oct 1st and 2nd), any advice for a newbie on what to expect in the Squamish River?  I'm assuming some of the bigger salmon should be going through there now?  What kind of lures would you recommend?

Bring bear spray...

HKSR

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »

Bring bear spray...

Yeah, I'm actually gonna be picking up bear spray and air horns later this week before I head up.  Are bears really common even in the lower portion? 

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »

Lots about, especially with the pinks spawning right now.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »

Well, since you aren't asking for any specific directions, ;D

It may be too early to fish for chums on the Squamish.  If I were you, I would hit up the Cheakamus for some early coho.  Remember to read the regs on what you can or cannot fish for and where the boundaries are.  Remember that there is a total bait ban as well.  Hit up any reputable tackle shop and they can give you a few spots to go to.  Koho and Croc spoons work really well.  Also try  # 3 or 4 Blue fox spinners.  Jigs can also be very productive (chartreuse/blue, Cerise/purple).  I've caught fish on all the lures that I mentioned.

Good Luck.

s.patrick

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:19:48 AM »

The Squamish Main FSR is closed right now. Major flooding over the weekend.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?72189-Squamish-River-FSR-flooded

Lots of hunters out and about too. If you haven't been up there before, worry more about the huge logging trucks than the bears.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 01:47:46 PM »

Agreed with the logging trucks as well as the rafting buses.  One bugger was basically drifting his bus around blind corners coupled with dusty conditions.

With snow still on the mountaintops in that area who knows what kind of flooding could happen with a prolonged heavy rain.  Same with the Fraser Valley.

HKSR

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 09:39:07 AM »

Thanks for all the input guys!  It looks like it'll be a rainy weekend, so I hope the river isn't too flooded :(  Oh well, if it is, I'll probably just head to the lakes.  I'll probably goto Browning on the way back home on Sunday, which should be fun.  Trying to get my fiance to hook her first fish ever! 

I'll be heading out after work today to pickup the bear spray for both of us, but I'm not 100% sure where to get air horns?  Anybody happen to know somewhere in the Port Moody/Coquitlam area that would sell air horns?  Canadian Tire sell them?

Stratocaster, you mean you're not gonna tell me about that super duper secret spot just off the river, at the 0.5km perimeter pond, where they stock every single month on the 1st and 15th day with 100 chinook in the 40-50lbs range that have been trained to readily strike at bare hooks?  ;D  lol.  Btw, thanks for the tips on the lures to pickup.  I'm heading to Sea Run after work, will see what they say as well :)