Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye on the fraser??  (Read 8704 times)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
sockeye on the fraser??
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:00:47 AM »

??? ??? well i was just wondering what is happining on the fraser due to the sox openning. any reports would be great. and how is everyone doing this tear. tight lines and sharp hooks to all. might see ya out there if i can find time away from work. 8)

hp2200

Re: sockeye on the fraser??
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 09:15:14 AM »

Yes any info would be appreciated ... planning on heading out this weekend if it is still open

lovetofish

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:27:03 AM »

Well as can be expected, the river is very busy.  Where we have fished , people have been getting along, but that is normal. I have never witnessed the scuffles or fights that are always mentioned, and I have sockeye fished anytime there has been an opening.
In the area we fished the last two days, people around us were catching sockeye regularly, and most got their 2 and left. We did not have great success ourselves, only landing one each, each day. Some days you are just not in the zone. I did have 2 break off yesterday and 2 others popped the hook, so we did have some action.
I saw no springs landed or chased and only heard of 2 or 3 being caught earlier yesterday.
We will probably be out again tomorrow.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »

the canoe clan went out on monday did ok with one each
the lower bar we were one wasnt to busy i was expecting worse
but maybe the rain kept people away
might try this afternoon see how work goes???
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 09:46:46 AM »

I have been out a couple times since it opened with two other friends using a boat. First time we went to Peg Leg and got our six sockeye but it took a while, about six hours. Usually we'd have them a lot quicker but with all the openings catching them is certainly harder. People on shore at the Peg were catching them as well but as mentioned, it is slower than usual. We also saw a beauty spring landed by someone on shore and it was a big chromer. Wish I had caught it. Yesterday we went a little farther past Peg Leg and found a spot that looked fishy and indeed it was. First cast and one in the boat, caught the six we needed in fours hours this time and my friend Wayne had a spring on for only a couple minutes till it broke him off. Because we were targeting sockeye we were all using only fifteen pound test so catching a spring was a long shot. Talked to other fishermen and everyone was catching and not one person was complaining. Yeah it takes a bit longer but to be out on a beautiful sunny day laughing, joking around and fishing is a win, win. I posted more info on Monday in the thread titled Peg Leg thats in this discussion column if anyone is interested.
Good Fishing All.

andychan

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »

does  anyone have info on native openings? just got a report from friends that natives were dropping nets about 30 feet from the shore right in front of them while fishing. needless to say fishing died fast.

location between Agassiz and Hope.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 11:37:01 AM »

does  anyone have info on native openings? just got a report from friends that natives were dropping nets about 30 feet from the shore right in front of them while fishing. needless to say fishing died fast.

location between Agassiz and Hope.

Happend to me a couple of days ago.

poper

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 04:09:44 PM »

I went out to day and took a bit longer [1 hour] to get my 2 but was still was ok! Monday it took 15 mins.

penn

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 04:31:23 PM »

Commercial boats were all out in force in the lower river today. That should put a nice dent in the weekend catch .

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 05:07:02 PM »

Commercial boats were all out in force in the lower river today. That should put a nice dent in the weekend catch .
I believe the FN boats are also out today from 8am to sometime thursday pm

Robert_G

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »

Those would of been First Nations....There were no legal openings for the main commercial fleet today anywhere in the Fraser River (Area E).

penn

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »

If it was just natives , they sure had a lot of big commercial boats out there . I work right on the river in the Port Kells area , and I saw them out there all day long .

Robert_G

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:36:29 AM »

Yeah.....funny how the natives get to fish for food and ceremonial purposes first, but ALSO get a 12 hour commercial opening while the regular commercial fleet gets a 3 hour opening. If that isn't discrimination.......
I sometimes wonder if a day will ever come we can all just be Canadian people and forget this minority crap.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 11:04:51 AM »

Yeah.....funny how the natives get to fish for food and ceremonial purposes first, but ALSO get a 12 hour commercial opening while the regular commercial fleet gets a 3 hour opening. If that isn't discrimination.......
I sometimes wonder if a day will ever come we can all just be Canadian people and forget this minority crap.
'
they get 12 hours for set nets and 20 hours for drift nets...drift netting is to stop at 4pm today...could be a bit slow for the next day or so

Robert_G

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 11:26:22 AM »

The 20 hour drift net opening (food and ceremonial) will take substantially fewer sockeye then what the native commercial fleet takes.
Regardless....all in-river gillnetting is bad. However, the numbers of sockeye are very strong right now, and the test fisheries upstream of the gillnetting are still good.
The fishing should be fair to good this week.