Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Declining Salmon Stocks Report (Early 2000's) & Solutions.  (Read 1281 times)

Darko

• Old Timer

Hello everybody, I wanted to share this article that I came across about the causes of decline in salmon/steelhead stocks that covers specific rivers in BC. It shows causes and possible solutions. Although it is a bit dated I found it a good read.
https://www.watershed-watch.org/publications/files/DSF_UpstreamBattle.pdf
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Declining Salmon Stocks Report (Early 2000's) & Solutions.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 01:52:58 PM »

Thanks Darko, very interesting read. I was particularly taken with the discussion about Burnette Creek. My wife's Grandfather, who lived basically all his life in New Westminster had some interesting stories to tell about it going back as far 1915 to 1930 or so including once when his parents sent him with a neighbor,down to the creek to collect some chum salmon. The journey was by horse and wagon. Once there the wagon was driven into the creek and the salmon pitch forked into the wagon until it was deemed full which took about half an hour. The ride back up the hill was 4 or 5 times that and the fish buried in the garden as fertilizer for the spring.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Declining Salmon Stocks Report (Early 2000's) & Solutions.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 10:42:55 PM »

Thanks Darko, very interesting read. I was particularly taken with the discussion about Burnette Creek. My wife's Grandfather, who lived basically all his life in New Westminster had some interesting stories to tell about it going back as far 1915 to 1930 or so including once when his parents sent him with a neighbor,down to the creek to collect some chum salmon. The journey was by horse and wagon. Once there the wagon was driven into the creek and the salmon pitch forked into the wagon until it was deemed full which took about half an hour. The ride back up the hill was 4 or 5 times that and the fish buried in the garden as fertilizer for the spring.
That's awesome Ralph! So much local history that sadly many, especially in my generation do not know about. To think that less than two hundred years ago that our local waters were flowing with fish!
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin