Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are You Planning Cut Backs In Spending Because of The HST?  (Read 9069 times)

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: Are You Planning Cut Backs In Spending Because of The HST?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 04:04:05 PM »

I can forsee a lot of middle-class oriented family restaurants will be toasted.

Not that I'm pro HST - but I'm old enough to remember hearing the same thing when the GST was to be introduced many moons ago.  And I was working as a server then.  Didn't like the initial results - but last time I checked, there seems to be more 'middle-class oriented family restaurants' now than before.

Any hew - in a few years - Gordo will be out (collecting multiple golden pensions  >:(  ), someone else will be in, and we'll all be griping of a different problem/concern regaridn the new leader of whatever party is in.  We is a fickle bunch.  :D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 09:27:49 PM »

Read about it here. Its as unbiased as it gets on this site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonized_Sales_Tax

Wikipedia unbiased? You are aware, I hope, that anybody can write on Wikipedia, you, me and everyone else can write about whatever dam well pleases us. Best of all you do not have to back it up with facts, just a few links to sources that suit the writers agenda will do fine. I haven't read much on Wikipedia other than the biography of Napoleon and Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany. Both biographies are flawed beyond believe to suit the writers political agenda. 
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 09:43:49 PM »

Wikipedia unbiased? You are aware, I hope, that anybody can write on Wikipedia, you, me and everyone else can write about whatever dam well pleases us. Best of all you do not have to back it up with facts, just a few links to sources that suit the writers agenda will do fine. I haven't read much on Wikipedia other than the biography of Napoleon and Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany. Both biographies are flawed beyond believe to suit the writers political agenda. 

Reminds me of a certain anti-HST politician....    ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 10:33:24 PM »

I am aware of that but if you google up the facts presented on HST from wikipedia you will see its factual.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 11:43:36 PM »

For onething that HST's going to cost me more is on my 10 yrs old kid's clothing.  (she's 155cm, 50kg and wears a size 8 ladies' shoe)

With PST anything that's going to be worn by her can be pst free.  But with HST because her size none of her clothing/shoes are in the kids category and I'll be paying 7% more on tax.

>:(

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 11:43:50 AM »

Not that I'm pro HST - but I'm old enough to remember hearing the same thing when the GST was to be introduced many moons ago.  And I was working as a server then.  Didn't like the initial results - but last time I checked, there seems to be more 'middle-class oriented family restaurants' now than before.

Any hew - in a few years - Gordo will be out (collecting multiple golden pensions  >:(  ), someone else will be in, and we'll all be griping of a different problem/concern regaridn the new leader of whatever party is in.  We is a fickle bunch.  :D

GST is only 5%. If people were crying foul about it back then, 7% more will be quite a hit to many people's entertainment budget. Imagine a family of 4 to 6 eating out, and 7% more is quite a bit of money. So to eat out in places with tips up to 15%, we will be paying 15%+12% on our meal value. Just thinking about all these extra costs before I even take a bite hurts the appetite.  ;D :(

Stay home or food court. That is the way to go ;D

Perhaps the barter system will thrive. I will take any newbie out fishing if he can cut my lawn or clean my carpet... ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:46:52 AM by liketofish »

dwsk

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »

The HST is here and it will stay. In 6 months time people will be used to paying it, and it will be a non issue after the next election. Just like the GST was. People will look back and wonder what all the hype was about.  This now puts BC businesses on a more even footing with Alberta and Ontario.

Those with the lowest income will become dependent on the hst rebate just like they look forward to the GST rebates. The rest will just forget about it. They will realize that a $50 meal in a restaurant is now $53 and accept it.

As for an alternative to the Liberals. I have not heard of any party saying they will repeal the hst if elected. It would be far too expensive.

Just one guys opinion.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 08:32:49 AM »

GST is only 5%. If people were crying foul about it back then, 7% more will be quite a hit to many people's entertainment budget.

You are correct - it is currently 5% - but when the GST was first introduced in the early 90's - it WAS 7%.  Back then, an additional 7% was a hefty amount compared to today's dollar.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »

--HST is great: business will prosper.. more jobs.. and because of greater revenue due to increased spending the provincial government, (by the end of summer I'm sure) will be able to lower their portion of the HST so we'll actually have a reduction in overall tax. Besides that...all that want to will be employed.
--Almost forgot.. all businesses will be passing on their savings to us.. especially the larger forest companies that have been begging for this for years.. these reduced costs will result in the reopening of the mills they shut down and as they will be running to capacity they won't be shipping any raw logs to other countries. Housing prices will drop due to the reduction in wood product costs.
--When I woke up this morning...I was no longer confused about what items will be taxed as their are no exemptions promised.  Or maybe there are a few super secret exemptions that we may find out about later, due to the relentless search for the truth about the tax by the Fraser institute.
--Also great to here that because Washington is confused they will just collect taxes from Canadian buyers just in case we aren't really entitled to an exemption do to the HST being a Value Added Tax rather than a sales tax.
--I'm sure Canadian business will smarten up so when in doubt charge the tax but just don't pass it on to the governmemt.. oh that right a few major retail companies already tried this but it was all just a misunderstanding, nothing criminal.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:55:17 AM by skaha »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2010, 12:09:57 PM »

From the HST web site.

Now that the 700,000 plus signatures have been delivered to Elections BC, the FightHST Provincial Strategy Team is asking everyone to post comments on the website where we will keep an eye on the effects of the HST.  Please click here and let us know what you intend to do in order to combat the effects of the HST and what changes you have noticed so far. http://fighthst.com/fighthst-provincial-strategy-team-would-like-to-discuss-your-hst-experiences-in-bc/

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 12:54:47 PM »

Thanks for the link Chris. I have added my comments!  ;D

I see my comments are gone....  maybe they didn't appreciate my point of view?!   ???
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:02:01 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 01:32:41 PM »

Thanks for the link Chris. I have added my comments!  ;D

I see my comments are gone....  maybe they didn't appreciate my point of view?!   ???
Beaks, :-[ what did you post as I will bring it up with Bill at our next meeting.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2010, 05:46:42 PM »

No problem Chris, my comments didn't complement the other comments very well anyway.

CameronT120

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »

Love the comments.  Those people sure have short memories. :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »

No usually coffee stop at Tims today made my own. ;D