Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a polyvalent boat  (Read 1088 times)

lebfred

Looking for a polyvalent boat
« on: September 28, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »

Hi guys,
I just moved in BC and I would like to buy a boat that I could use for fishing in the Fraser River (ex Island 22) and for sight seeing in saltwater (ex White Rock).
Any suggestions or things to consider?
Many thanks

ShaunO

Re: Looking for a polyvalent boat
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 12:21:38 PM »

I'm glad you asked, but there are some major questions that will need to be answered before you can move forward.

Whats your budget?
Will your vehicle tow it?

Going to Island 22 can be tricky for the uninitiated, more so for those with propeller driven boats.  River boats in the Fraser Valley and typically purpose built with jet drives and flat(ter) bottoms than those for salt water use.  Flat bottom boats are the most stable and fastest hull design but right like a gravel truck in wind chop and waves.  They are not ideal for saltwater.  Salt water boats typically have 12 degrees of deadrise (Vee) to cut through waves and provide a smother ride in the rougher water.  They're also usually propeller driven, which is not ideal for shallow river channels as the overall draft of the boat is much deeper than flat bottom jet boats.

You'll have to start doing you homework, but it ALL depends on what you can pay.  Once you have a number, there will be plenty more to discuss.

Cheers!