Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sad On The Vedder These Days  (Read 20261 times)

dobrolub

Re: Sad On The Vedder These Days
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »

and make it spey-only  8)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:30:00 PM by dobrolub »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2015, 08:08:52 PM »

I think I'm becoming one...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2015, 08:16:14 PM »

Of course some use fly chucking as a great flossing tool, we all know that. :-X :o ::)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »

Of course some use fly chucking as a great flossing tool, we all know that. :-X :o ::)

those who don't do it know all about it eh Chris ?... wink wink say no more say no  more
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tylsie

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2015, 10:33:40 PM »

It can be tiring throwing a Betty all day. Relaxing with a Deep 6 line and a clouser sounds like a dream. More effective, and you look good to boot. What more can a person ask for. 

Byronnn

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2015, 10:48:19 PM »

I think Zackattack hit the nail on the head about the Vedder.

I had the opportunity to tour the upper Vedder with someone from the salmonid enhancement program earlier this year and was told that all the habitat creation works along the river have doubled the number of pinks returning over the last 20 years, as well as increasing other runs substantially.

The impression I got was that DFO is mandated to provide recreational opportunities in this region (including retention) and the strategy so far has included focusing fishing pressure on the Vedder because it is already urbanized and degraded, has decades of data available, and has heavily augmented conditions that essentially guarantee continued viable populations.

I'm not sure whether this strategy encourages more people to fish all season and elsewhere, or satisfies some fishing angst that would otherwise be directed at more vulnerable fisheries, but I think the strategy is a good way to provide recreational fishing opportunities nonetheless.

Of course more enforcement and education would be better (and DFO knows this), but our current federal government has eliminated that possibility through budget cuts in 2012 and 2013. Maybe next year... ::)

P.S. If you ever get a chance to walk through the trails around the fish habitat works it's absolutely gorgeous, textbook perfect spawning habitat stretching many kilometers.  8)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:53:14 PM by Byronnn »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2015, 06:04:43 AM »

It can be tiring throwing a Betty all day. Relaxing with a Deep 6 line and a clouser sounds like a dream. More effective, and you look good to boot. What more can a person ask for.
A Clouser is a jig - how many flossers use jigs? So here you give the wisdom of a man in a plaid suit and sports a tacky moustache.

Most people are too witless to realize I am far from serious about restricting the V-C to FF only. Point is drift anglers are more elitist and interested in getting more of their pie than fly anglers have ever been.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2015, 06:52:40 AM »

Most people are too witless to realize I am far from serious about restricting the V-C to FF only. Point is drift anglers are more elitist and interested in getting more of their pie than fly anglers have ever been.

You're a walking talking oxymoron.

Fly anglers are far more elitist than drift anglers.

You are correct on the bigger piece of the pie though.

Tylsie

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2015, 11:19:12 AM »

A Clouser is a jig - how many flossers use jigs? So here you give the wisdom of a man in a plaid suit and sports a tacky moustache.

Funny, I have fished across North America, used various size Clouser Minnows for everything from salmon and trout to bass, as well as several other species. Fished with people from all over to. I have never seen anyone jig a clouser. They are always rapidly stripped in, sort of like a snagging motion but instead of the rod you use your arm. How would you use it as a jig? I am genuinely curious!   

P.S. But I do love plaid. If you have a source for these jackets I am all ears.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:26:32 AM by Tylsie »

Howlongsyourleader

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2015, 04:05:34 PM »

A clouser minnow with a small split shot tied 1 ft above is deadly for pinks on a spinning rod. Jigging the clouser( in a similar way as stripping a fly in) caught me 30+ pinks this season in the lower with only 4 or 5 snags. Works a charm, get em in the top lip most times to.
Have you seen my float?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2015, 04:16:36 PM »

Funny, I have fished across North America, used various size Clouser Minnows ... They are always rapidly stripped in, sort of like a snagging motion but instead of the rod you use your arm.
I guess I do it wrong then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7HycFnH26U
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 04:27:44 PM by RalphH »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »

You're a walking talking oxymoron.

Fly anglers are far more elitist than drift anglers.

You are correct on the bigger piece of the pie though.

LOL - perhaps you should check Oxford's for the definition of oxymoron, you maroon! ;D

In the last 3 months we have seen at least 2 suggestions from gear anglers intending solely to get what they see as riffraff off 'their' streams. That's elitism.

About 15 years ago a fairly well known fly fisherman, very involved in fish conservation that had them dealing with leaders drift & gear fishing commented to me that such people were as elitist if not more so than fly anglers - they just couldn't figure out that elitism doesn't just apply to other people.

Problems with fish handling are older than Mr Gadsden himself. They are also exaggerated.

Tylsie

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2015, 04:58:33 PM »

I guess I do it wrong then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7HycFnH26U

Not saying you are wrong, I was genuinely curious as to how one jigs a clouser minnow. It was designed to be stripped fairly aggressively. All of my clousers are a lot thinner and more tapered than my salmon jigs, with the eye of the hook facing forward rather then up. I will admit my jigging experience is limited, but I didn't think that a jigging motion would impart the proper action on a clouser minnow.  Thanks to Howlongsyourleader for the example. I will try it.   

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2015, 05:01:49 PM »

I believe that clousers with big weighted eyes, particularly those located close to the hook eye (as opposed to the middle of the shank), when stripped quickly with short abrupt strips, will tend to mimic the up and down flutter of a jig cast directly from the rod, rather than under a float.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2015, 05:47:18 PM »

any weight near the eye be a bead, a cone head, dumbbell eyes or some good wraps of lead will produce a rise and fall action when stripped. Like a jig it's all a matter of how fast it's stripped and the length of the pause. You can try and observe this in any clear water.

Tylsie's example - if someone casts a deep 6 clouser minnow across and down how will a fish get flossed? More likely to snag something in the vedder packed as it is with salmon than floss anything.