Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question for the powers at be  (Read 3526 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
question for the powers at be
« on: August 19, 2005, 04:24:34 PM »

Im trying really hard to understand why the rcmp and dfo will do nothing about the natives selling fish, is this not against the law? In my mind the first sign of them selling fish meant for food or ceremonial purposes the whole native fishery should of been shut down, would this not seem logical? natives do not survive from the money they get by selling fish, the government already gives them everthing they need, whereas the commercial fleets need the income to survive or they lose their livelyhood and end up in the poorhouse. And what about the sportsfishery? how much money will our province loose this year because the lack of openings. Im not just upset because I cant sockeye fish this year, It just makes me sick to see this double standard, not enough sockeye for the sporties but enough that the natives can drag 250feet nets down the river. DFO has lost all credability in my books, think Ill dig out my old canadian tire special and hit the river for socks this weekend. The way things have gone the last couple years Id be suprised if we ever get another sockeye opening on the fraser river.

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: question for the powers at be
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 04:43:55 PM »

Funny part is chances are no one would do anything if you did fish for sox the dfo and rcmp are a joke. Like i said before they are lucky we as sports fishermen are so understanding and patient and even then they fuel the fire more by asking us not to floss the fraser when we fish for chinook i think they have all gone crazy or something.
[

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 04:44:57 PM »

The problem with a thought like this is...

Continue that parallel to the rec sector:  If they catch one guy keeping Sox when they're closed they should stop all the rec fishing.  Make sense?  No. 

Bad apples don't taint the whole barrel.  Most of the apples are still good.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 05:06:46 PM »

in my opinion its not just a couple bad apples, Im sure the majority of the natives are selling their catch, sockeye =money, a person can only eat so many salmon, why not sell them and buy t-bone?

blueback

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 05:38:03 PM »

For the most part, it's the Cheam guys that are breaking the law. The other bands are only taking advantage of the legal openings they are being given. The feds and the province won't do anything about the legal openings b/c this is what the feds and province are giving away in the treaty process anyway. They already gave the natives the lion's share of the Fraser fish to get/entice the various bands to sign land claims deals (in principal). The province and feds won't do anything to stop the Cheam b/c they want them to be soft in land claim negotiations too. Finally, both levels of 'government' are also very concerned that the natives in question, sign on to support the Olympics in their traditional territories (land claims regions). Yaaa Olympics ::)!! It's all about the money, folks. If the world sees that BC treats it's natives badly and lots of protest goes on during the olympics, lots of high rolling execs and politicos will lose alot of dough and be very embarrassed b/c investment will not look as rosy as it could. Remember how BC grew after Expo? Could it be that the olympics will be a forum to protest lots of injustices that occur here in BC?     

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 11:47:04 PM »

If you think for one second that the Natives are going to walk on by and hijack fisheries for perpetuity, you are wrong. All the powers that be want is to avoid another OKA standoff.

Anyone seen the front page of the Vancouver Sun today? THAT STORY IS PRICELESS! Let's just state that any Cheam band member that thinks they are going to be given a fair shake in the community by White Man reading that story is CRAZY.

HEY SID DOUGLAS>>>YOU SAY YOU DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT THE CONFRONTATION? WELL LOOK AT THE PICTURES, ON CAMERA! FRONT PAGE VANCOUVER SUN!

CHIEF DOUGLAS YOU SHOULD BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOUR BANDS ACTIONS. 

SHAME ON THE CHEAM for supporting your ILLEGAL FISHERIES.

Mod: Tone it down a bit FM, there are better ways to get your message across.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 01:00:38 AM by Rodney »
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

copperspoon

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 05:50:24 PM »

C & P from another site

"In the simplest sense, DFO has one major mandate.... resource conservation and protection. Whether they are achieving this mandate is always open to argument. First Nations are a close second in terms of DFO priorities, followed by commercial and sport fishing opportunities. Note that I grouped commercial and recreational together. DFO does not normally differentiate between the two groups with respect to resource access. Having said that though, fisheries such as Fraser River sockeye rarely open without access by both user groups at the same time. With the hugely disappointing test fishery results so far, I find it increasingly unlikely that DFO will open the Fraser sockeye fishery this year. If they do, I find it even more unlikely that they would open sport to the exclusion of commercial.

We all might openly or privately take exception to the fact that FN are permitted to fish when we can't. The fact of the matter is, DFO is committed legally (and I would suggest morally) to permit FN access to fish whenever possible. The stance of the Federal and Provincial governments, in general, support this view so any suggestion by minority members of society (i.e. sport fishermen as one group) that this is discriminatory is a non starter. As a side note, don't take the actions of the Cheam as being anywhere near representative of other FN on the Fraser. The Cheam are a radical fringe group destined for self destruction. For those of you wishing to know more of the FN perspective on their fishing rights (generally mirrored by DFO as well I might add) should check out some of Sandman's posts here. Although I disagree sometimes on points he makes, Sandman is right on the money on how FN view their rights. Again, to argue that FN rights somehow supercede those of white society is again a non starter. I would suspect that the majority of Canadians who do not fish or do not fish sockeye specifically would give more support to the rights of FN than to a few 'sporties' who feel it is their God given right to snag a few socks.

On the subject of God given rights, a few people have argued that somehow being a taxpayer or having purchased a fishing licence gives them the right of access. The purchase of a fishing licence gives you the PRIVILEGE to fish. There are no rights attached to it. Commercial fishermen and commercial fish processors also have to purchase licences for the PRIVILEGE. There are no guarantees that they will be able to exercise that privilege. Look at it this way. DFO is always under enormous pressure to open fisheries. If they can withstand pressure from commercial interests whose members rely on fishing income to survive in this world, what chance do you think the average sport fisherman has to pressure DFO into opening? How about like none? Every person holding a job in this country pays taxes (or should). Every person in this country who does not fish but likes to buy wild salmon is also at the mercy of DFO. If there are no fish to be caught, there are no fish to be bought. Again, the masses far outweigh a few thousand sporties on the Fraser.

DFO has been cursing the day they ever permitted sport access to sockeye on the Fraser. Its not that they are against retention. What they see as a growing and almost uncontrollable problem (don't most of us?) is the use of flossing, lining..ok call it for what it is..snagging, as the method of choice by too many anglers on other fish species in the Fraser and other river systems. We are our own worst enemy sometimes. Smarten up people or I am sure that DFO will enact very draconian regulations in the future to stop this snagging.
"

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 10:46:39 AM »

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:54:38 AM by dennisK »

Bantam_50

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 01:24:50 PM »

Cheam Rule White Man Drool

lol

put that on a bumper sticker.

hey, i think a sense of humour is necessary in any dispute  ;D

ps...rod, can I change my login name to that? please please please please  :D

ROFLMA  ;D ;D ;D

I'm sure if you showed up at Cheam beach with a 100 or so of those you'd be fitted with sock's for the winter. :D