Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old Age Security for Recent Immigrants  (Read 3194 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Old Age Security for Recent Immigrants
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »

Quoted from another site:

Subject: URGENT OAS pensions Bill C-428 (residency)
URGENT ATTENTION About Our OAS pensions Bill C-428 An Act to Amend the Old Age Security Act (residency requirements)
And the insanity continues.................

Bill C-428 will allow recent immigrants to apply for OAS in 3 years instead of the existing 10.
This bill had first reading in the house on June 18, 2009. It was seconded by Bob Rae!! MP Ms Ruby Dhalla who introduced the bill represents the riding of Brampton whose population is mainly East Indian. Right now you have to have lived in Canada for 10 years in order to qualify for Old Age Security. She wants the time reduced to 3 years. Thousands could come to Canada when they are 62 years old, never having worked or contributed to this county's tax system etc, and qualify for full Old Age Security benefits. 10 years minimum is reasonable. 3 is not!

I have looked this up and you can too. Google C-428 and you will see this bill has only one purpose, to featherbed a select group of people for votes.

I certainly hope this bill does not get passed. It is about time we called our elected MP's to ask them to NOT support this bill. Their response may be one factor in helping us determine who gets elected in the next election.

What Can You Do?

1. Spread the message to family, friends and email buds.

2. Write letters , send emails to all your list, and call Members of Parliament

It is time Canada looked after it's Vets and long-term citizens before tossing OUR hard-earned money around on people who have no right to this money, never having paid taxes or contributed to our economy. If a family wishes to bring elderly relatives here and are willing to waive their own right to collect these funds in order that the elderly relatives can receive them...fine...otherwise, look after them yourself and do not expect the Canadian taxpayers to do it.
There are too many people abusing the generosity of the Canadian people. We need to stop the madness....NOW!
We, our children and our grandchildren currently owe the global investment community over $500 Billion Dollars, the sum of our accumulated National Debt that is never publicized.

CANADIAN VALUES MONITOR

Thoughts?

shakespug

Re: Old Age Security for Recent Immigrants
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »

Sorry, stupid question...but where's the Brampton riding?

I for one think that even 10 years is not nearly enough, I'd say EXTEND IT to 12 years at least.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 05:32:48 PM »

Brampton Ontario. just outside of Mississauga

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 05:41:27 PM »

Nothing's fair.   Income tax tier is not fair.  Why should someone worked harder studied more has to be taxed more to support those freeloaders?

I think old age pension should allow case by case situation.  Unforseen situation may happen to those sponsers.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »

Couple of things you should know:

Poroguing parliament would've killed the bill normally although I've heard that private members' bill are still allowed.  Second, most private members bills rarely go through. 

Rubly Dhalla was also involved in a controvery regarding her family's live in caregivers last spring, just before this bill came out.  Personally, I think it was an attempt to try to shore up her riding with her electorate, especially since she had a narrow margin of victory and the Tory candidate put up a strong race in the last election.  From her perspective, it's a win-win.  She looks like she's doing something for her "community," but really the bill is unlikely to pass.  And, even if it does pass, the OAS amount they would get is pretty mininal, based on their 3 years in Canada.  A member on another forum I was reading figured it out to be about $38.77/month. Oh, and her own Liberal members weren't in support of the bill.  It had its first reading in June 2009.   Personally, I think it's a bit of hype but if you want to deny some senior less than $40.00/month, make sure you write your MP, if the bill is even still on the table. 
President Club S. C. & P.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »

As a free loading immigrant myself - good luck getting that bill passed! ;D

azafai

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 08:13:55 AM »

I second that.
All power to them to pass it as soon as possible.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 11:28:41 AM »

Another response from afar:

Some of the information out there is misleading because they say that a person only living here 3 years would be entitled to Old Age Security of $39/month (doesn't seem like much); however, they fail to mention that if the person is considered to be low income then he/she would also qualify for the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS), up to a maximum of $651/month. So, they could get a maximum of $690/month for only living in Canada for 3 years. This is expected to cost Canadian taxpayers $300-$700 million annually.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 05:42:43 PM »

I say increase it to 15yrs. Screw the freeloaders !!!!!! if they come here that old they better have family to take care of them.

troutslayer76

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »

Not to sound like a racist or anything but i think they should just ship them back on the boat they came in.  I'm not going to work, earning a living so these migrants can have it easy.  For the family members bringing them over...........LET THEM RIDE YOUR COATTAILS, NOT MINE.   >:(
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities.  This is the coservationist's concern."RHB

azafai

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 01:43:28 PM »

what about shipping them back with the steam boats of 100 years ago???

roeman

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 09:45:04 PM »

what about shipping them back with the steam boats of 100 years ago???

Probably how FN feels about all of us. Funny when the shoe is on the other foot. No racism anywhere.
Are you fishin or catchin