Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Campbell river shore access.  (Read 2116 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Campbell river shore access.
« on: August 25, 2009, 10:19:30 AM »

I have a few days off and I was thinking of heading out to the Campbell River to try for some pinks.

I have never been there before and I would like to know a) is now a good time to head out there and b) is it possible to fiish from the shore? (I don't have a boat.)

Any information would be much appreciated.

ERNIE

Re: Campbell river shore access.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »

I am not over-familiar with the area however I was there a few weeks ago.  There is a large pier right along the waterfront in downtown Campbell River where guys were fishing from.  This pier appears to be dedicated to fisherman,  there are rod rentals on the dock as well as pictures of the fish that are landed on a daily basis.

Obviously a boat is ideal however it looked as though a few guys had some luck and landed some nice salmon from the pier.

ernie

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 11:50:14 AM »

Your talking about the actual river and not beach right? If so just head to the River Sportsman ( tackle shop on the river ) they will give you all the information you require. Also the store is awesome and should be checked out anyways.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Verdi

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:13:16 PM »

the river is very short and you can access most of the lower river very easily, just drive up the road on the south side of the river, toward elk falls campground, you can fish, from elk falls campground down to the hwy bridge. Just up from elk falls campground is the powerhouse and from there up is fly only. Just look for all the parked cars. Pinks are best fished at dusk and dawn i find for good biters.

Should be good for pinks and spring right now, with coho just starting to come in.  I think it is open to pink retention, check regs.

Good luck.

I was there in mid august for pink madness on the fly.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 01:13:12 PM »

Thanks very much for all of your replies.  I was talking about the river and not the beach (sorry, should have mentioned that). Hoping there will still be a half decent run of pinks there this week.

A have studied the maps of the area and I can see all the places you have talked about including the 'River Sportsman' tackle shop.  I will definitely go there to get some local information.

Hoping to get lucky with the fishing but it is always good to get out to new places.

Verdi

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:19:08 PM »

Are you fly fishing or gear chucking.

you can e-mail me if you want some more detail, but the river is small and you can explore a lot of it fast.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:36:56 PM »

Thanks everybody for all of your help.

I will be heading out tomorrow morning in the hope of intercepting a few pinks. (flyfishing or gear chucking, both options are available to me).  If I get skunked, at least I will get to enjoy the trip out there :)

I will let you know how I do.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:42:01 PM »

Oh..and before I forget...Thanks for your paging me yakideath12.  Not sure if I quite the gear for springs.  Enough to handle a chum but I think the springs might be a bit much even for that. (i.e 9wt fly rod with 12lb leader or a gear outfit with 15lb mainline)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 09:09:04 AM »

Thanks much for the info everybody.   My wife and I landed 13 between us and I think I must have lost about 20 of them flyfishing.  They were so ferocious it was really hard to keep them on with the small flies I was using.