Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DEW WORMS  (Read 11118 times)

fish fishburn

DEW WORMS
« on: March 20, 2010, 07:24:53 AM »

I will be heading out on the lake O tribs in a few weeks for steel and was talking to a lad yesterday and he said by far the best bait to use was dew worms. Just hook em through the collar with a #12 or 14 hook and let em hang. Use with a float or just some BB shot. He said pick your own cause you will go through about 10 dozen in 8 hrs of fishing. He said they work best 90% of the time and if not use eggs, spinners, flatfish spoons etc till you find what they prefer on that given day. How does this work for you guys on the west coast. He say he has better luck with the dew worms over the pink steelhead worms from power bait.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: DEW WORMS
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »

I have tried dew worms but by far the best worms are just regular garden worms especially on warmer days. I have also hit cutties and dolly's with them as well.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

dmocchi

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »

Yup Ive always thought that worms in freshwater systems were the best lure/bait....Some of my friends also swear by crayfish? but Ive never tried.....They seem much too 'fascinating' to sacrifice.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 03:18:50 PM »

I've had success with dew worms. Often an overlooked bait.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »

Hooked a res. bow, dolly and steelhead in the same pool on the ved with them on Wed. So yeah, they are a great bait and you never know what your going to get which always makes it interesting ;)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

distanc3

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:28:16 PM »

Husky/Mohawk gas stations stock them year round, it'll come in handy during those impulsive fishing urges :)

colin6101

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 07:13:15 AM »

Unless I'm fishing for salmon this is my favourite bait. Doesn't necessarily seem to be the best bait for every species but can seem to catch everything at some point or another. I remember I was trying to find some coho on the stave and put some worms on because I thought that would make the chum stay away. Boy was I ever wrong, I ended up catching twice as many chum as my fishing buddy that day who was purposely targeting them with jigs. Throw some out into the fraser and you never know what you're bringing in (I've caught six different species the same day on the fraser with worms)

dmocchi

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »

Husky/Mohawk gas stations stock them year round, it'll come in handy during those impulsive fishing urges :)

Really??? I thought that gas stations stopped carrying dew worms a long time ago!?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:38:32 PM »

Really??? I thought that gas stations stopped carrying dew worms a long time ago!?

Why would you think that? Lots of them still carry them as well as roe.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

wizard

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »

I can attest to the versatility of dewies.  I always prefer to fly fish or spin cast when possible, but sometimes worm fishing has it's place.

I've caught nice summer sturgeon on 3 or 4 dewies with tips cut off and spider threaded.

Last pink run believe it or not I was using worms for bottom fish on the fraser and ended up hooking a beauty silver female Pink salmon!

3 years ago up top on the Stave, while fishing with my uncle in the fall, he landed a big Sockeye with worm under a bobber.  We were perplexed by both hooking it on a worm and the fact sockeye should not have been around that time of year...goes to show worms are a pretty versatile bait. With that said, you have to be careful using worms as fish easily swallow the hook.  Generally I won't use worms unless targeting bottom fish species like bullheads or squaws

distanc3

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 10:14:47 PM »

as far as i know, husky and mohawk carries them. they said they have them year round. i last time i got them was late last summer :)

dmocchi

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 10:51:25 PM »

Well I live right across a mohawk here in Burnaby and am quite sure they dont carry them...Ive been in there a million of times to pay for gas by debit......The old school stations that carried them actually had advertised sandwich boards or signs out front........
But Ill keep an eye out from now on at those stations....THANX!

fish fishburn

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 06:00:38 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.

azafai

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 03:22:13 PM »

Well I live right across a mohawk here in Burnaby and am quite sure they dont carry them...Ive been in there a million of times to pay for gas by debit......The old school stations that carried them actually had advertised sandwich boards or signs out front........
But Ill keep an eye out from now on at those stations....THANX!
my friend, those in Chilliwack and surroundings are meant here.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 04:43:25 PM »

countless nights on the front yard with the hose and the flashlight  when i was young i raised/sold my own nightcrawlers... my patio and a recycling bin was all i had to start was easy and cheap... frabill had some great products....
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!