Do you use lead-free products?

Yes, I'm concerned about the environment I fish in
- 7 (24.1%)
No, I don't think lead pose much of a risk
- 16 (55.2%)
I don't really care.
- 6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Do you believe lead weiights in fishing tackle pose serious risks?  (Read 6707 times)

Piranha

I myself buy led-free weights/sinkers from Canadian tire and do not support any stores that to this day are ignorant and continue to carry only lead products. I believe people who refuse to change aren't as concerned what goes on in our environment. They just want to rake in as much money they can and catch fish.  I use lead free weights becauase I want to make a difference. Rice lake in north van is full of led.  I pull broken lines with weights out of the water all the time when I make my rounds.  It's very dissapointing to see this >:(

http://www.pca.state.mn.us/oea/reduce/sinkers.cfm

http://www.epa.gov/owow/fish/animals.html

http://www.acfnewsource.org/environment/lead_free_fishing.html

What do you guys have to say to this?

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Re: Do you believe lead weiights in fishing tackle pose serious risks?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 07:08:30 PM »

I understand your concern but I am still on the same piece of lead from 3 years ago. If you short float, you will never have to change weight.

Mike D.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 07:20:33 PM »

Personally....I reely think that the smaller split shot pieces are actually killing the birds, but I don't think that is reely a problem down here in the Valley.....but the bigger size weights like the ones you use for bottom bouncing, sturgeon fishing, short floating etc...are weigh too hard for the birds to swallow....but what I thought was a very touchy topic about lead weights on the fraser, such as sturgeon/bar fishing weights, and the bb weights...is that the DFO dude at the Tradex about 3-4 yrs ago now was trying to convince people that these big weights were bonking fish on the head when we cast into the water...resulting in dead springs/socks floating down the river  ::) I couldn't believe he was saying this..

Mike <"))))))><

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 07:34:31 PM »

I think lead causes learning and behavior problems in animals. Lowers IQs etcetera. That may make a fish stupid and bite at anything or conversely act rashly when hooked.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:49:02 PM »

That would explain sockeyes biting on green yarn on the Fraser. ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 10:06:27 PM »

Lines, plastic bags, oil spills, these have recorded death for birds but really anyone have seen report on actual bird death caused by lead poisoning and not those terms like "may cause"?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:45:13 AM by BwiBwi »

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 10:31:02 PM »

I agree fully with Mike in that lead shot is potentially damaging to bottom feeding birds, but I can't see the danger from larger leads as they are not ingested.

In the UK where I come from we had lead shot banned many years ago, but it is used in huge quanties over there. Larger lead weights are still legal. The lead subsitute was fine, bit harder and bit more expensive but we learned to live with it no problem.

What I haven't seen mentioned out here is the danger to wild life from discarded line and I don't know why. I hate seeing it on the banks and have had to untrangle many birds back in the UK who have got it caught round their feet. I think this is a much larger danger to wildlife, especially birds than lead. Not sure if the same issue would apply in BC where lead shot is used much less and mostly you don't have the density of fisherman on 1 water the UK has. But I guess "ideally" the shot would be replaced with a non-toxic alternative.

We had big poster campaigns showing the problem discarded line can cause, would be good to see a few in the BC tackle shops.

cheers,

Paul.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 10:33:18 PM by Murkeywaters »

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 12:29:15 AM »

Personally....I reely think that the smaller split shot pieces are actually killing the birds, but I don't think that is reely a problem down here in the Valley.....but the bigger size weights like the ones you use for bottom bouncing, sturgeon fishing, short floating etc...are weigh too hard for the birds to swallow....but what I thought was a very touchy topic about lead weights on the fraser, such as sturgeon/bar fishing weights, and the bb weights...is that the DFO dude at the Tradex about 3-4 yrs ago now was trying to convince people that these big weights were bonking fish on the head when we cast into the water...resulting in dead springs/socks floating down the river  ::) I couldn't believe he was saying this..

Mike <"))))))><

Its killing the birds because they're dumb. haha :D  I fed seaguls a turd sandwich (literally dog durd) in high school and the gulls gulp the stuff like crazy. hahaha great times  :D
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 12:50:47 AM »

Your right about discarded line Murkywaters. After Sockeye season the banks of the Fraser are a embarrassing mess. People fishing sometimes get so caught up in the fact that they don't or are not catching fish they leave their garbage around like a sign of ignorance and incompetent frustration.

Derp lighten up, next time you'll be telling us about your mom changing your terdy diaper. I don't want to hear it. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 12:18:11 PM »

What do you guys have to say to this?

Short Float !!!!  You don't lose gear so it doesn't matter what you use for weight

kinda crazy that you are pulling all that crap out of Rice Lake, I can't imagine how you could ever lose gear in that lake ,
save for casting into a tree
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Mike D.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 12:59:27 PM »

Ya, line is another problem we have....there is also some sort of "chemical" in line that is supposebly not good for the environment etc. etc...but the poor birds must get wrapped up in the 1000's of yards of line on the beach, and get tangled up and can't move, and starve, or choke themselves....I also hate it when you are walking along the shore, and your boots get tangled up in the crap...and it also looks reely bad too....but I must say the funniest thing I've ever seen, is muscle laxitives wrapped in bread thrown at crows....haha man, beat turd burgers....won't describe what I saw.

Mike <")))))))><

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 01:34:59 PM »

Line is much more of a problem. The lead in the water that they are talking about as dangerous for bottom feeding birds is buckshot from duck and geese hunting...So now they changed it and there are a lot more wounded animals dying slow deaths..but that's for another debate...

Use what you feel comfortable with, I see it more in fly fishing and I think the lead subsitute sucks..Don't use it...

allwaysfishin

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 01:49:29 PM »

lead is a natural element that we mine from the earth so i don't see a huge problem. TRUE small shot ingested by birds is a problem in some areas but as mentioned above, it was the lead shot from duck/goose hunting lying on the fields that was doing the damage... or most of it. As far as fishing goes... i think all the hype about banning lead is coming from the granola eatin , tree spikin, enviro nuts and with all thier $$$$$$ have convinced the governments that lead used in fishing is killing all our water fowl. Before you decide not to shop at a store because they do not carry lead substitute.... remind yourself of all the other more direct environmental conditions that are killing our wildlife and fish.... INDUSTRY is the largest culprit by far..... not us guys using a few split shot as fishing weights. I will continue to use split shot as i short float 99% of the time.... and rarely lose weights to the river.

frenchy

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 04:09:46 PM »

lead is a natural element that we mine from the earth so i don't see a huge problem.

Well, lead is not naturally as concentrated as we use it. The problem is that lead is a a heavy metal and is toxic for the animals and humans. If there is too much lead in your food or drinking water, you may be very sick.

"Lead has no known biological role in the body. The toxicity comes from its ability to mimic other biologically important metals, the most notable of which are calcium, iron and zinc. Lead is able to bind to and interact with the same proteins and molecules as these metals, but after displacement, those molecules function differently and fail to carry out the same reactions, such as in producing enzymes necessary for certain biological processes."

"The symptoms of chronic lead poisoning include neurological problems, such as reduced IQ, nausea, abdominal pain, irritability, insomnia, excess lethargy or hyperactivity, headache and, in extreme cases, seizure and coma. There are also associated gastrointestinal problems, such as constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, poor appetite, weight loss, which are common in acute poisoning. Other associated affects are anemia, kidney problems, and reproductive problems."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

Piranha

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 04:14:22 PM »

I've seen guys use their teeth to clamp down lead weights to their line. That can't be good. lol